PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox issues, 5th gear

Shane P
23-07-2010, 22:43
I have a problem with my 5th gear. It won't stay in place and will jump out if i back off the loud pedal. I have uprated engine mounts and a good front stabiliser in situ and the other 5 gears seems to stay in place with very little/no movement.

Do i need a replacement gearbox?

TrixNFlix
23-07-2010, 22:46
Zee nut has worked lose. :)

JRP
23-07-2010, 22:49
I have a problem with my 5th gear. It won't stay in place and will jump out if i back off the loud pedal. I have uprated engine mounts and a good front stabiliser in situ and the other 5 gears seems to stay in place with very little/no movement.

Do i need a replacement gearbox?

Hasnt 5th got a nack of comming loose.. pop the gear box end cap off re fit and refit the end cap job done... or am i thinking of somthing else?

Shane P
23-07-2010, 22:55
Hasnt 5th got a nack of comming loose.. pop the gear box end cap off re fit and refit the end cap job done... or am i thinking of somthing else?

Thankyou both for your replies :)

Is this something i can do myself?
The end cap is the big black cover on the end of the nearside of the gearbox?
How does it come off?
Would i lose gearbox oil?
Would i need some sort of gasket if it did come off?
What do i do once i have the cover off?

Sorry for all the questions, i have no idea about transmission :)

philr5t
24-07-2010, 10:15
mine has done this twice mate and it should be the nut holding 5th gear on simply take the black case off the end and torgue up the nut i used lock tight and never again had the problem all i will say is do it asap as if you leave it to long the gear will start floating on the shaft and the fork will get jammed and murder 5th gear

phil

allanr5gtt
24-07-2010, 10:18
Thankyou both for your replies :)

Is this something i can do myself?
The end cap is the big black cover on the end of the nearside of the gearbox?
How does it come off?
Would i lose gearbox oil?
Would i need some sort of gasket if it did come off?
What do i do once i have the cover off?

Sorry for all the questions, i have no idea about transmission :)

yes drain the oil

the end cap is held on with three 13mm bolts

no gasket as the cap has a rubber o ring that can be reused.

philr5t
24-07-2010, 10:46
yes drain the oil

the end cap is held on with three 13mm bolts

no gasket as the cap has a rubber o ring that can be reused.

as allan says all of the above only you dont need to drain the oil you can do it all in situ just remove the passenger wheel and you can get straight on the end cap :agree:

Shane P
24-07-2010, 12:39
Phil, Allan, JRP and Andy, thankyou very much for the information guys, much appreciated :agree: :) :smokin:

Shane P
24-07-2010, 17:48
Got the end cap off the gearbox, had to drop the box slightly to gain some clearence. I found that the nut was very loose, result ! :agree: Tightened it as much as i possibly could. Hopefully now the gear will stay in place. I got covered in gearbox oil :D and it stinks.

What type of gearbox oil do i use to refill it?

Where is the filling plug located?

:)

sieger
24-07-2010, 18:10
75w 90

in the front of the gearbox # 24

Shane P
24-07-2010, 18:15
75w 90

in the front of the gearbox # 24

Thankyou :)

allanr5gtt
24-07-2010, 19:58
should of drain the oil bud. the only other way is to jack the near side up as high as you can. if you ever need a hand drop me a pm.