View Full Version : Where can i get decent brake disks

Junglist
22-07-2010, 17:32
Hi all ive deceided to stick with my 5 and sort it out first thing is gonna be the rear brake disks as one of the ktec ones on mine has a split all the way across :eek:
im not wanting oe ones they preferably need to be drilled and grooved to match my front disks ,
Cgb do a pair of EBC for £146 with tax and bearings fitted , does that sound ok ,
looked at ktecs also but there even more expensive :scared: .

Cheers , Dan

JRP
22-07-2010, 17:35
For the amount the rears do.. would stanards not be upto the crack?

Junglist
22-07-2010, 19:15
For the amount the rears do.. would stanards not be upto the crack?

to be fair yes they would , i just like the look of the drilled / grooved ones plus i allready have them on the front so they would match

SCHWARTZ
22-07-2010, 20:35
you can get a complete set of discs from crn on ebay for the same price as the rears from cgb and im pretty sure they are exactly the same.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-5-GT-TURBO-GROOVED-BRAKE-DISCS-REAR-BEARINGS-R5-/180443181217?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a034070a1

Junglist
22-07-2010, 21:26
you can get a complete set of discs from crn on ebay for the same price as the rears from cgb and im pretty sure they are exactly the same.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-5-GT-TURBO-GROOVED-BRAKE-DISCS-REAR-BEARINGS-R5-/180443181217?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a034070a1

£129.99 for 4 grooved disks inc bearings,:smokin:, have you used these ?

Ian S
22-07-2010, 21:33
So you're happy to reduce the amount of rear braking for the sake of looks?

Anyone who looks at them and knows anything about brakes will not be thinking good things about you!

Avoid having further p1ss taken from you. Bin them. Get smooth discs and get you're rear brakes working better. After all, they do about 20% of stopping the car. Your drilled ones don't though.

Ian S
22-07-2010, 21:37
Drilling removes the swept area = less friction = less braking.

Drilled vented front discs are supposed let air through the vents better to cool the discs.

It possibly doesn't work either without ducts and curved spacers between the vents. GTT discs have straight spacers. Is that p1ss being taken again and the sound of whoever sold them to you laughing all the way to the bank?

Junglist
22-07-2010, 21:38
So you're happy to reduce the amount of rear braking for the sake of looks?

Anyone who looks at them and knows anything about brakes will not be thinking good things about you!

Avoid having further p1ss taken from you. Bin them. Get smooth discs and get you're rear brakes working better. After all, they do about 20% of stopping the car. Your drilled ones don't though.

okay ill consider that thanks for your input

Junglist
22-07-2010, 21:39
what about just the grooved ones ?

Junglist
22-07-2010, 21:45
Drilling removes the swept area = less friction = less braking.

Is that p1ss being taken again and the sound of whoever sold them to you laughing all the way to the bank?

i havnt bought any yet im just asking for advice on wich ones to look at as mine are cracked, the ones on the car allready were from ktec

TrixNFlix
22-07-2010, 21:46
what about just the grooved ones ?

Dont get grooved mate, ive had them in the past and they eat pads for fun

SCHWARTZ
22-07-2010, 21:48
no i have not tried these. I still have the o/e setup but if you were looking at the set cgb sell these look the same and a lot cheaper. I am looking for better brakes, and would defo take peoples advice from here as what to get as most of the advice is spot on.

Ian S
22-07-2010, 21:49
I did try the grooved EBC front discs before I knew better.

The braking was no better at any time, just noisier.

And the pads wore quite fast and so did the discs.

I think I would never buy anything from EBC again or believe anything anyone from that company says.

Grooved rear discs = same as drilled. Removed swept area.

On motorbikes they do have holes in their tiny single discs which they tell me are to allow water to go somewhere.

Maybe grooves can help with this, and reducing pad glazing if there is such as thing, and gas produced by the pad surface if they over heat if that is even true. EBC said it so it's probably not :crap:

My brakes were fine when the car was fairly new. None of these fancy tricks made it better or cured in any way at all the problems that occurred in later years.

First thing I should have done was change the fluid, not buy carp discs and pads from EBC.

Next thing should have been fit new OE rubber brake hoses.

Then maybe Re-conditioned front and rear callipers. I did the fronts as there seemed like there was a nats knacker of improvement. Didn't fix the problem. But the effect from steel / PTFE hoses suggests that was the problem.

I'd already fitted a new master cylinder but with no improvement.

SCHWARTZ
22-07-2010, 21:52
what would you suggest for a better brake set up ian? what about a big solid (vented) front disc, standard rears with ferodo ds2500 pads?

Ian S
22-07-2010, 21:56
The best improvement (maybe only improvement) was changing to steel braided PTFE brake lines. WOW. Sharp hard pedal. Kept locking the brakes on the first day. However, I did suspect that it changed the bias as I had to use lighter pedal pressure, so there was less use of the rears which led to a slight overall increase in minimum stopping distance. But MUCH sharper and sooner braking which is certainly good in traffic.

People have told me, but i don't know anyone who did the a/ b swap test, the just replacing the 15 year old rubber hoses with new OE rubber hoses may have had the same effect.

Also throwing on the 288mm front discs did result in a lighter brake pedal, but less overall stopping power as now the rear brakes were not being used as hard due to the light pedal pressure and same sized discs on the rear as I can't get big discs for there.

People who really know what driving fast and stopping hard is about have told me that just some standard sized Brembo discs and some Ferodo DS2500 pads is very good.

You need 'pedal feel' to brake hard without locking.

My car capitulated before I went back down in size to the above suggested makes so I never tested it personally.

Junglist
22-07-2010, 22:01
maybe ill go for std discs then :) , cheers ian ,
probaly save some money also

SCHWARTZ
22-07-2010, 22:04
what about using big discs at the front and adjusting the bias too suite? fixing the bias valve with threaded bar and a couple of nuts (no rear seats so weight at the rear will never change).

Ian S
22-07-2010, 22:11
maybe ill go for std discs then :) , cheers ian ,
probaly save some money also

I don't know about now, but new rear discs with new bearing already in them used to be about £50 and pair.

I tried the zinc plated discs but that just wore off quite quickly and they rusted over just the same as standard discs. Even the edges.

Ian S
22-07-2010, 22:14
what about using big discs at the front and adjusting the bias too suite? fixing the bias valve with threaded bar and a couple of nuts (no rear seats so weight at the rear will never change).
With the 288mm fronts and front braided lines, I had the rear bias compensator jammed on full all the time. Was not enough. I just used a couple of cable ties somehow to keep the lever at the on end.

Wallace
22-07-2010, 22:15
Where is the best place to get the standard brembo disc's from?

And the Ferodo DS2500 pads?

Thank you!!!!! And sorry for thread hijacking....

SCHWARTZ
22-07-2010, 22:18
il have a look for some standard size brembo discs and some ferodo ds2500 pads then, and braided hoses.

Ian S
22-07-2010, 22:26
Sorry, I don't know.

I have a Fiat Cinquecento now. Google or eBay trawled up some pads for that, but they were still £80 just for the front. I didn't buy them yet. It has drums on the rear and I'm not sure I can fiddle with those. What the really keen owners do is fit discs at the rear and bigger discs at the front with Punto mk2 callipers all around. It's much easier and with a lot more options than the 5GTT at the rear.

I think that the faster you brake from, if the suspension springs are softish, the more weight transfer to the front and the more the front tyres get loaded and the more the front brakes can do. So for track use the rears might need a lower bias to avoid locking up. But for road use, a bit higher.

With very hard front springs there's less weight transfer, so more rear bias can be used.

I had 250lb per inch springs on the 5GTT so maybe that's partly why I felt the rears doing less as I changed the front set up. It didn't dive so much under braking as with standard springs.

Ian S
22-07-2010, 22:37
I think those chaps kept with standard sized front discs because they needed to get some 13" wheels on from time to time for the drag strip and maybe the track.

You certainly have to press the pedal harder with standard sized front didcs but maybe less so with decent pads. Sometimes the EBC had fantastic bite and needed little pedal pressure, but mostly they were utter cack. I binned the first lot and they sometimes barely worked when wet. The 2nd lot worked really well for a short while AFTER the wet!

What's needed is some bigger rear discs to go with some bigger fronts ones. Then both a lighter pedal and decent front to rear balance can be had.

Or maybe a different rear compensator that can be adjusted by the driver so that with large front discs, more pressure can be ducted toward the rear.

Ian S
22-07-2010, 22:38
I don't know if the alloy is different in the Brembo's to the OE discs. More abrasive?? More uniform? Some needs to Google it :)