View Full Version : New Rad, Too hot to touch?

Sol
21-07-2010, 09:44
Hey Guys,

I have just replaced the radiator in my R5.

Previously someone had bodged a Campus rad into the car (22mm)?
and hence caused overheating issues etc... and they had added an
external oil cooler..

I have just bought a china special alloy radiator into the car with no oil cooler built in
and again kept the external oil cooler.

However,
I went for a drive earlier on and the temp gauge only went up half way,
but upon then touching the alloy rad i cant hold my hand on it whatsoever,
its too hot.

Shouldnt be really hot if the temp gauge is only half way right???

Cheers,
Luke :)

JRP
21-07-2010, 09:47
Interesting.. i have one o the blind china man radiators as well.

My temps are silly high so im changing a few bits up... a rad with the water temps flowing round it like you would find in a car after a drive.. generally would be very hot.. so i wouldnt be to worried chap.

Keep us posted on running temps tho :)

Duncan Grier
21-07-2010, 09:48
It will be hot - its cooling the engine ;)

The thermostat regulates the coolant going through the rad for cooling. The temp guage should be in the normal operating position which it is so dont be worried if the rad is hot or not.

DG

Sol
21-07-2010, 10:02
Ahh ok guys,

Probably normal then... im just a bit over cautious maybe...
Trying to make sure I look after this R5 is all hehe.

Cheers guys,

Ashy
21-07-2010, 13:01
Get a pan of water on the stove and put your thermostat into it... Heat the water until you see the stat open, will be around 86 degrees ish... Then pop your hand into the pan and if its the same temp as the outside of your rad.

That should give you an idea of how hot your rad should be. However be aware your hand may go pink and the skin fall off.

Schakal
21-07-2010, 16:32
the reason its hot is because it conducts heat better than your old
knackard rad . totally normal imo .

Adam 005
21-07-2010, 20:14
Get a pan of water on the stove and put your thermostat into it... Heat the water until you see the stat open, will be around 86 degrees ish... Then pop your hand into the pan and if its the same temp as the outside of your rad.

That should give you an idea of how hot your rad should be. However be aware your hand may go pink and the skin fall off.

i he was to take you advice you would be liable:agree::agree::agree::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tony Walker
21-07-2010, 20:23
Your rad fan doesnt kick in till its nearly 100degrees celcius, thats why you have a sealed system so your coolant doesnt evaporate. It should be far too hot to touch lol. unless u can hold boiling water?

JRP
21-07-2010, 21:08
Your rad fan doesnt kick in till its nearly 100degrees celcius, thats why you have a sealed system so your coolant doesnt evaporate. It should be far too hot to touch lol. unless u can hold boiling water?

I can hold balls of fire dude :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tony Walker
21-07-2010, 21:33
:eek: lol

Sol
22-07-2010, 09:03
I just imagined that if the temp was around half way up the gauge not at the usual 83C cut in point then it wouldnt feel so hot.

Drove to work in her anyway this morning, miles better now against the old rad. Was just a bit worried about knackering the car over if had done something wrong.

Thanks for the advice etc chaps,

Tony Walker
22-07-2010, 19:29
Do you have a low temp rad switch or low temp thermostat??