PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers on a Phase 1

tiff_lee
20-07-2010, 18:53
Finally got round to putting my coilovers onto my phase 1, could someone please point me in the right direction as to what additional parts i'll need to fit them.

I know the top mounts are different but what else?

I have never seen what a phase 2 strut assembly is like so have no idea, thanks in advance.

RoboEK
20-07-2010, 19:33
What coilovers have you got (phase 1 or 2?) as its not just the top mounts that are diffrent. the spacing of the two bolt holes that bolt to the hubis ofset on a phase 2 but inline on a phase 1. Have a little look on my build up theres some pics of my Gaz coilovers that i built up with all new top mounts;) .

tiff_lee
20-07-2010, 19:37
They are the Spax ones so phase 2 hence the change in top mounts but unsure as to what parts I need exactly.

Nice build by the way your phase 1 looks mint, unfortunately mine had been completely abused when I got hold of it.

tiff_lee
21-07-2010, 11:39
Is it just the strut top and rubber donut that is different?

c7borg
21-07-2010, 12:20
the angle that the strut attaches to the hub is different, So you have to match the tops to the strut

I think if you use ph2 tops with ph1 struts you'll get excessive positive camber and if you use ph1 tops with ph2 struts you'll get excessive negative camber.

tiff_lee
21-07-2010, 12:36
Sorry Andrew I dont think I was being clear enough in what I meant.

I currently have phase 1 shocks and the associated strut tops, I have a set of phase 2 coilovers I want to fit I am just unsure what components are different apart from the strut top itself and the rubber donut.

Brigsy
21-07-2010, 12:38
The only difference on the ph2 top mount setup is the top plate that bolts to the strut tower, the top hat & donut is the same:)

tiff_lee
21-07-2010, 12:44
Oh right, I only wondered about the donut as the replacement ones i've seen looked a little different to the rubber fitted on mine.

Thanks for all the info everyone, time to find some phase 2 strut tops...

c7borg
21-07-2010, 13:32
Sorry Andrew I dont think I was being clear enough in what I meant..

Ahh I see now.. :agree: :)