PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem, help please!

i l k e r
19-07-2010, 18:49
hi all,

the 5 broke down 4 times from work in 15 miles :(

first it cut off power then started without any problems after about five minutes. i only checked and moved about the sockets behind the fuse box.

it went about a mile then the rev counter stopped working and there was no spark, I found out that the aei was not getting any power so I connected a +ve wire from the battery to the aei and it started.

it went ok for about half a mile then it stopped, I checked and found out there were spark but no fuel this time, so i bypassed the fuel pump relay with a piece of wire and made it home.

i know that it's all on the same circuit but can anyone pinpoint me in the right direction to find the problem as I need the car for work tomorrow.

thanks people.

Nick k
19-07-2010, 18:58
Do you have a immobiliser on it??

i l k e r
19-07-2010, 19:01
Do you have a immobiliser on it??

no mate, we don't need immobilisers in Cyprus, yet :wasntme:

Nick k
19-07-2010, 19:10
The AEI is fed from the yellow wire off the ignition switch , But is linked to the fuel pump relay with the white wire that fires up the fuel relay when the crank signal is seen. Check the yellow is good to the AEI, Check the Earth ( Black Wire ) too. Check that the ignition switch is suppling a good 12v to the yellow, check the thin red on the battery terminal as that supplies the ignition switch, Check the 2 grey large terminal under dash that join the ignition wires together. Enjoy :)

Nick k
19-07-2010, 19:13
Check that stupid 5 pin relay next to the AEI as that will kill all of the above. Link that out if you are not running the overboost switch.

i l k e r
19-07-2010, 19:17
The AEI is fed from the yellow wire off the ignition switch , But is linked to the fuel pump relay with the white wire that fires up the fuel relay when the crank signal is seen. Check the yellow is good to the AEI, Check the Earth ( Black Wire ) too. Check that the ignition switch is suppling a good 12v to the yellow, check the thin red on the battery terminal as that supplies the ignition switch, Check the 2 grey large terminal under dash that join the ignition wires together. Enjoy :)

thanks for that mate :agree:

i l k e r
19-07-2010, 19:18
Check that stupid 5 pin relay next to the AEI as that will kill all of the above. Link that out if you are not running the overboost switch.

already binned long time ago :)

Nick k
19-07-2010, 19:33
There are two other connection behind the ash tray to check if all else fails. One has the reds on it from the battery and the other is the yellow return from the ignition switch and White fuel wire. They are mounted to the heater box. :agree:

i l k e r
19-07-2010, 20:18
I just checked all the mentioned sockets and they're all in place.

I couldn't find my tester so I'll give it another go tomorrow when I find my tester or borrow one.

Schakal
19-07-2010, 20:38
ilker ,this might sound pretty obvious but have you checked the
main earth points on the engine ,gearbox and chassis leg .

i have saved a lot of cars from the crusher by simply cleaning a few earth points
and putting them back on properly .

i l k e r
19-07-2010, 20:41
ilker ,this might sound pretty obvious but have you checked the
main earth points on the engine ,gearbox and chassis leg .

i have saved a lot of cars from the crusher by simply cleaning a few earth points
and putting them back on properly .

hi Evren,

all the earth straps were cleaned and secured carefully last saturday when I dropped the engine back in. :agree:

SCHWARTZ
19-07-2010, 21:50
dont know if it has been mentioned but a check of the tdc sensor and wire, maby a cleann etc... wouldnt do any harm.

Woznaldo
19-07-2010, 22:38
already binned long time ago :)

Have you replaced it with a better relay or cut it out all together? As from your symptoms, that's the first place I'd check after fuses.

i l k e r
20-07-2010, 20:42
problem solved :agree:

after finding out all the sockets were good, I had a look at the 5 pin relay as mentioned and found out it was still operational even though I binned the overboost sensor.

I gave it a good clean and all is well so far :agree:

I'll replace it with a better relay later.

thanks for all the input guys.