PDA

View Full Version : Missfire ...

Bass J
15-07-2010, 23:52
Well ..at the start i couldnt even get it started ..only left the car a few days ..it cranked but didnt start .. so tonight i went out ..cleaned the dizzy thinking it may have water in it ...Got it started :D

But its running on 3cylinders ..checked the leads were on proper also :cry:

This is after a massive rain storm ..i have the clio 16v bonnet on my clio also ...anybody got any idea's?

Ive no idea if its carb related... really need this car running for sunday ..as its on a stand at a show :laugh:

Cheers :smokin:

Spooky
16-07-2010, 00:05
Check the dizzy cap/leads/maybe plugs for a dribble of water...:laugh:

Does the misfire improve after you've left it running for a bit? If you leave the engine running, the surfaces get hot pretty quickly and it can clear up a misfire caused by a dribble of rain...try it...

If that doesn't work, think about looking at what may have got soaked in the HT system...

TNT ANDY
16-07-2010, 06:51
Well ..at the start i couldnt even get it started ..only left the car a few days ..it cranked but didnt start .. so tonight i went out ..cleaned the dizzy thinking it may have water in it ...Got it started :D

But its running on 3cylinders ..checked the leads were on proper also :cry:

This is after a massive rain storm ..i have the clio 16v bonnet on my clio also ...anybody got any idea's?

Ive no idea if its carb related... really need this car running for sunday ..as its on a stand at a show :laugh:

Cheers :smokin:

Try a different set of leads, plugs and dizzy cap. These are the most likely suspects and you will not see degradation in these with the naked eye unless it's dark and then you may see arcing from the leads etc. I had this problem with what looked like perfectly good leads.

Pull each lead off one at a time also to see where the problem lies, but be carefull it can hurt.

Bass J
16-07-2010, 19:08
Ive tried what you all said folks ...still got the missfire ..dried up the dizzy and all connection points ..i dont have the tool to get spark plugs out handy to check the plugs.

Also dont have spare HT leads ...giving up on this at the moment ..itll just have to sit :laugh:

Itll wait till my mate reco comes back from plymouth (reco being my handy mate that has the patience to work on me car hah!)

Gunna take my sisters mk2 clio to the show on sunday with my williams wheels on it instead ...i just wont have boost :( ..BOOO! :laugh:

zinc
16-07-2010, 19:22
When mine was running on 3 it turned out to be the plugs.

Bass J
16-07-2010, 20:34
i will change the plugs and try that at somepoint ..lost motivation to work on my car at the mo :laugh: