PDA

View Full Version : vtec. vvt. variable valve timing. etc

raj
17-10-2008, 18:41
apart from hondas v-tec and i-vtec systems is there any others system that works just like it.?

toyota have the vvti i think? what else it there? and more importantly do all the variable valve systems work in the same way.?

im more and more liking the v-tec system and the way it delivers its power.

ive not come across anything thats feels quite like the vtec systems.

just wondering did the clio/r19 16v's have variable valve timing? as the hondas from the same era did.?

Tiny Tim
17-10-2008, 18:44
BMW has VANOS, but thats more electronically controlled.

Sparkie
17-10-2008, 19:10
nissan has variable cam timing too....the 200sx's have it, whereas the silvia turbo didnt....
the clio 172's do too.
think mitsubishi do - Mivec or summat like that?

its not that uncommon, its just that some manufacturers make more noise about it that others.

my gtt had variable cam timing...it only happened once on one run when the vernier pulley bolts slipped to max retard.:laugh:

Tiny Tim
17-10-2008, 19:11

:agree:

raj
17-10-2008, 20:28
but do they act in the same way? i say this as ive been in a few vvt cars and they done seem to have the kick that the honda vtec's produce!

Tony Walker
17-10-2008, 21:39
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

renault variable valves work through a camshaft de-phaser which fail quite often and you can hear them rattling backwards and forwards. typical renault. The pulley adjusts via oil pressure either advancing or retarding the timing.

Tony Walker
17-10-2008, 21:41

hondas vtec works via oil pressure too but this raises a 5th bucket for the cam to act on and open another valve in each cylinder. i think its another inlet but im not sure.

Os8472
18-10-2008, 13:05
Vtec is for whimps, give me a turbo anyday, but if ya want some detailed info on Honda's vtec system take a look here

http://www.vtechuk.com/

dj13
10-11-2008, 15:09

Vtec increases the inlet valve duration. It isn't all that tbh. The rover vvc is much better as it is 2 stage where the vtec only works on one stage ie high rpm.

raj
10-11-2008, 17:12
Vtec is for whimps, give me a turbo anyday, but if ya want some detailed info on Honda's vtec system take a look here

http://www.vtechuk.com/

dont be daft:rolleyes: vtec is brilliant. a vtec + turbo power would be awsome i think :cool:

dj13
10-11-2008, 17:25

dont be daft:rolleyes: vtec is brilliant. a vtec + turbo power would be awsome i think :cool:

Not as awsome as the rover k series vvc:coffee:

Os8472
10-11-2008, 18:28

Er Rover bought the rights to the Honda B16 engine back in the late eighties, rebadged it K series and screwed up its reliability

raj
10-11-2008, 18:31

yes it is:p. to be honest ive not experienced the rovers vvc so cant comment.

are there any similar sized rover engines with vvc compared with the hondas vtec?

i wouldnt mind seeing how..lets say a rover 1.6/1.8vvc goes up against the honda 1.6/1.8 vtec. :)

Os8472
10-11-2008, 18:33

The Meagane 225 and 230 F1 have variable valve timing

raj
10-11-2008, 18:33
Er Rover bought the rights to the Honda B16 engine back in the late eighties, rebadged it K series and screwed up its reliability

ah yes indeed. they old rovers did come with the honda engines.i never knew which ones though.!

Rob@Backyardracing
11-11-2008, 21:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcT_ZyY3F0k&feature=related Thats how the D16 SOHC is on our civic but we can control the solenoid to what we like, well once its running. Bit old skool that tbh.

The porsche 3.6 has vvt + vario cam looks a good bit of kit on them. All the 3.4s just have vario cam and all Boxsters same + 968 3L 16v vario cam. Need the new 3.8 to fail so i can pull it apart.

Blah who wants cam shafts, bring on the days with valves are controled by solenoids. think of what power and timing or whatever you could make then....:)

Adey aka Ewok
11-11-2008, 22:45
solonoid valves are already don ein the bike world ;) just need for it to pass on to cars, cant find anyinfo on the engines tho. some of the superbikes they use for racing at the mo have it. as far as i can tel they dont have a camshaft atall, all computer controled solonoids that fire open the valves as and when, full time vvt

Sparkie
11-11-2008, 22:56
just more electronics to go wrong..... :(

Kenobi
21-11-2008, 13:57
nissan has variable cam timing too....the 200sx's have it, whereas the silvia turbo didnt....
the clio 172's do too.

its not that uncommon, its just that some manufacturers make more noise about it that others.

my gtt had variable cam timing...it only happened once on one run when the vernier pulley bolts slipped to max retard.:laugh:

My Colt CZT which is a 1.5 turbo is a Mivec.

Theres talk over at www.CZTOC.com (http://www.CZTOC.com) of using a Renault 5 Turbo shell to build a track weapon.

Jap powered nutty french magic.

RichR
21-11-2008, 14:19
My Colt CZT which is a 1.5 turbo is a Mivec.

Theres talk over at www.CZTOC.com (http://www.CZTOC.com) of using a Renault 5 Turbo shell to build a track weapon.

Jap powered nutty french magic.

The Colt does share a gearbox after all, so that shouldn't be too much work to mix and match bits.

Kenobi
21-11-2008, 15:48
The Colt does share a gearbox after all, so that shouldn't be too much work to mix and match bits.

What ya mean by share good buddy?

RichR
21-11-2008, 16:04
Not the new Colt - the old Colt. Gearbox is based on the Renault JB series I believe.

(of course I could be imagining it, it is Friday afternoon after all).