PDA

View Full Version : T2 Turbo rear oil seal... How???

Nick k
11-07-2010, 10:42
How does the Rear oil rear on the Garrett T2 turbo work??

I have 2 of them in bits and im trying to work out how it actually seals itself in the housing!

Here is a picture of a shaft from ebay. Auction number 320500883937.

There is a o ring type spring seal that lives on the shaft next to the exhaust wheel. Does this seal when fitted into the housing close down tight onto the the shaft causing a machined fit type setup hence stopping the oil getting past it?

I've have played with both shaft and they have big movement in them when they are in the housing. ( no bearing in there just the rear seal ) So would the seal be worn out or the shaft worn out or both??

1 turbo is totally knacked, bearing, shaft game over. The other seems good (thrust bearing needed) with just this rear seal issue!

Info please :)

TrixNFlix
11-07-2010, 11:02
I dont think it fully seals itself nick, hence problems with higher boost, leaking excessive oil. When i took one of mine a part i was gonna try one of these seals but just haven't got round to it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Garrett-T2-T25-T28-Race-staggered-rear-oil-seal-turbo-/390215982999?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5adaaf5f97

Nick k
11-07-2010, 12:01
Oh ok that makes more sense to me now. I was looking at the repair kits from that company too on ebay. They do a OE garrett kit for £69 quid i think. Not running big boost anyway so should be good. Cheers.

TrixNFlix
11-07-2010, 12:11
Cool, I've used that eBay seller before, and the quality looks good. Keep us all informed as to how you get on. :agree: