PDA

View Full Version : My money - stolen!

r5gordini
09-07-2010, 23:15
Hi All,

Just thought I should share my experiences with you. I apologise for the long story, but want to let you all know what happened so you don't fall for what I have done.

My wife posted a "wanted" ad for a GTT Raider interior on OldClassicCar.co.uk

Someone going by the name of "Robert" contacted me, saying he had a mint Raider interior. I needed to pay up front as he was going away for a few days, etc. He would put it on a pallet and send it to my restorer. He explained that PayPal was no good as he'd had bad experiences with it before, so could I use a bank transfer to his girlfriend's account?

OK, I thought, seems plausible. Of course, now I know it wasn't! So, I transferred £270 into his girlfriend's account.

The interior didn't arrive within the week he originally stated. He even had the audacity to text me to tell me that the funds hadn't arrived in his girlfriend's account for a couple of days, when it should have been instant! He also (a little later) offered me a stainless GTT exhaust for £250, saying he would put it on the pallet with the interior. I declined (at this point a very little concerned), but was sorely tempted! He seemed very nice over the phone, knowledgeable and helpful.

Anyway, I chased him after a week or so and received a text back saying he would contact his shipping co. to find out what had happened, but I received nothing after this.

Every time I tried to call him, I got a "voicemail box full" message. I did get through to a woman once, but she seemed very cross and wouldn't really speak to me, telling me to call back in a couple of days.

------------- cut ------------

That's the last I heard. I since did a search on the net and found other people have fallen for the same guy pulling the same scam:

http://www.ukdrn.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1970

The names I dealt with were slightly different, suggesting a number of bank accounts/aliases being used. The girlfriend's name was C Edmeads, so look out for that name!

Apparently Robert/Robin/whatever was arrested in early 2010 but later released on bail. I have let the Police know that I have fallen for his scam. Here's hoping I get some results.

This is the first time I've fallen for anything like this, after nigh on 13 years of dealing in Renault 5 parts. Why/how can it happen? I will let you all know of what happens, but until then, please steer clear of any deal that sounds similar.

Thanks,

Andrew

jesus in the seat of a 5
10-07-2010, 08:07
sorry to hear that andrew , i hope you get the outcome you deserve etc, that is such a horrible and gutless thing for someone to do buddy...:mad:, in all the years i have been a member on here , ive never had a single problem with anyone and as people know , i buy a hugh amount of parts etc , i only have ever had this problem with e bayers whomb have allegedly been rtoc members, i remember i had a problem with some phase 1 arches back in the day , i also recall that sparkie on here went round the guys house and got them for me...:), its so sad to hear this buddy, do you have his user name etc on here, xcan the commitee or anyone else do anything to help?, hope something no matter how small or big happens buddy , matt.

r5gordini
10-07-2010, 08:56
Thanks Matt,

I don't think he's an RTOC member. From what I understand he pulls this stunt all over the place - just replying to "wanted" adverts. The advantage of replying to such an ad is that he can do his research so he can tell you what you want to hear, then he's got you!

Still looking for that elusive Raider interior ;-)

Andrew

Penfold aka The Dealer
10-07-2010, 09:11
Andrew,

I am very sorry to hear this, dont suppose you got an address did you?

modfather
10-07-2010, 09:15
thats a s**t mate.have you spoke to your bank about it, could they not do something :scratch:

Robbo
10-07-2010, 09:52
Not wanting to sound funny or anything but would you trust somebody you hadnt met before with £270 for something you had not seen. That said everybody has been caught out in some kind of scam.

Eugein Offord
20-01-2011, 07:59
who was the **** who took deposits from members years ago for somthing and then evaquated??????????????

car.crash
20-01-2011, 08:04
Richie did it but he took full payment off alot of people and done a runner

phase i 16 v turbo
20-01-2011, 08:38

Yes and some of the bits he stole have re-appeared!:sad2:

philg
20-01-2011, 08:40

:agree: richie

Sorry to hear this, did you get and address or area at all?

phil

Kenobi
20-01-2011, 08:51
Thanks Matt,

I don't think he's an RTOC member. From what I understand he pulls this stunt all over the place - just replying to "wanted" adverts. The advantage of replying to such an ad is that he can do his research so he can tell you what you want to hear, then he's got you!

Still looking for that elusive Raider interior ;-)

Andrew

Wow, never thought of that. Very good point Andrew.

Kenobi
20-01-2011, 08:53

I speak to him often. So hes exactly where he has been for all these years.

Now dont shoot the messenger, i'm trying to get my engine stand back. :cry:

Penfold aka The Dealer
20-01-2011, 09:20
Yes and some of the bits he stole have re-appeared!:sad2:

Like them forge pistons samb sent him, richie claimed not to have recieved them... samb never sent them recorded.... richie posted all over here (samb got warnings and a ban), richie even threaten samb.... and funnily enough richie sold a engine with forged pistons in... :-(

phase i 16 v turbo
20-01-2011, 09:34
Wow, never thought of that. Very good point Andrew.

I would like my engine and 803 cossy injectors back if you are popping round there.

Lomo
20-01-2011, 10:19
who was the **** who took deposits from members years ago for somthing and then evaquated??????????????

Thats gonna bug me all day now...I can remember this happening....:brickwall:

Cant for the life of me remember who it was....:scratch: :smashpc:

Penfold aka The Dealer
20-01-2011, 10:29
Thats gonna bug me all day now...I can remember this happening....:brickwall:

Cant for the life of me remember who it was....:scratch: :smashpc:
Wernt Alf was it?

Brigsy
20-01-2011, 11:09
Alf was the geezer that ripped a few off with the boost controllers, must have been a canny few years ago now

Mart
20-01-2011, 11:16
Yep, UnluckyAlf was his board name on here.

Lomo
20-01-2011, 12:08
Thats the fella!! I can get on with my day now! :niceone:

Brizza
20-01-2011, 12:20
Yep, UnluckyAlf was his board name on here.

Ohhh yeeeh, didn't he reckon he had a Turbo 2 as well?

The new Bill J
20-01-2011, 15:01
Ohhh yeeeh, didn't he reckon he had a Turbo 2 as well?

Yep, and he was going to be on Big Brother :cartman:

raider_gtt
21-01-2011, 23:23
Hi All,

Just thought I should share my experiences with you. I apologise for the long story, but want to let you all know what happened so you don't fall for what I have done.

My wife posted a "wanted" ad for a GTT Raider interior on OldClassicCar.co.uk

Someone going by the name of "Robert" contacted me, saying he had a mint Raider interior. I needed to pay up front as he was going away for a few days, etc. He would put it on a pallet and send it to my restorer. He explained that PayPal was no good as he'd had bad experiences with it before, so could I use a bank transfer to his girlfriend's account?

OK, I thought, seems plausible. Of course, now I know it wasn't! So, I transferred £270 into his girlfriend's account.

The interior didn't arrive within the week he originally stated. He even had the audacity to text me to tell me that the funds hadn't arrived in his girlfriend's account for a couple of days, when it should have been instant! He also (a little later) offered me a stainless GTT exhaust for £250, saying he would put it on the pallet with the interior. I declined (at this point a very little concerned), but was sorely tempted! He seemed very nice over the phone, knowledgeable and helpful.

Anyway, I chased him after a week or so and received a text back saying he would contact his shipping co. to find out what had happened, but I received nothing after this.

Every time I tried to call him, I got a "voicemail box full" message. I did get through to a woman once, but she seemed very cross and wouldn't really speak to me, telling me to call back in a couple of days.

------------- cut ------------

That's the last I heard. I since did a search on the net and found other people have fallen for the same guy pulling the same scam:

http://www.ukdrn.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1970

The names I dealt with were slightly different, suggesting a number of bank accounts/aliases being used. The girlfriend's name was C Edmeads, so look out for that name!

Apparently Robert/Robin/whatever was arrested in early 2010 but later released on bail. I have let the Police know that I have fallen for his scam. Here's hoping I get some results.

This is the first time I've fallen for anything like this, after nigh on 13 years of dealing in Renault 5 parts. Why/how can it happen? I will let you all know of what happens, but until then, please steer clear of any deal that sounds similar.

Thanks,

Andrew

im really sorry to hear about this i dont no how people can do this and think they can get away with it mate its beond me

Chrisxr2
16-05-2014, 09:57
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

To be fair a few people dont like paypal, always had full address and check ups that guys address is legit before sending money. (Bought a car whilst in the irish sea for 6 k once thankfully all went well) Thing is people often think oh its too much hassle to go to his house for 250 quid, but enough of those happen and he is sitting on a nice pile of free cash.

Matt_S
16-05-2014, 10:13
Holy thread bump Batman!