PDA

View Full Version : engine simulator

Andrew Cooke
09-07-2010, 13:13
I'm not sure this goes in the adding EFI section, but here goes...

Have you come across anything like an engine simulator? I'm looking for something that can fool an ECU into thinking it's on a working engine, so 60-2 (?) crank trigger, MAP, TPS, lambda, water temp etc. I'm sure there must be something for the megasquirt, but like all things megasquirt it's hard to find out what you need to know.

Woznaldo
09-07-2010, 13:31
Yes there is Andy. MegaSquirt call it the 'stimulator' and it is used during the assembly of the MS ECU at various stages to ensure correct operation. It is also used for trouble shooting any faults after the build.

Here are the parameters that were adjustable:

-RPM (course and fine adjustment)
-TPS
-Water temp
-Inlet Air Temp
-O2

There were other offshoots that may have had extra like the 'Jim Stim' and I think there was an Australian version that had something extra?

Found the Jimstim link:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/jimstim-v14-megasquirt-stimulator-wheel-simulator-unassembl-p-174.html

Andrew Cooke
09-07-2010, 13:33
Thanks Woz, I was just reading about the jimstim. I'm not sure it can simulate the renault crank sesnor though, I'll need to dig a bit deeper.

Andy

Scoff
09-07-2010, 17:04
I couldn't find anything usefull when I looked. There were little PIC based cct's you could build that would re-create a 60-2 or 36-1 but nothing that would output anything like a VR. I found some PC software too, but only capable of TTL output.

I built one in the end. A large die-cast box with a brushless motor, speed control and mounted upon it is a small 36-1 trigger wheel. A Ford VR sensor is mounted through the end of the box to read the wheel. The same box also houses pots to simulate TPS and MAP. I have a rotorary switch that patches each ignition output or tacho output to a relay so I can 'listen' for output on each of those channels. It's all a bit heath robinson but it allows me to repair and test standalones on the bench.

Perhaps you could put a flywheel in your lathe, a sensor in the tool post and run some coax up to your bench :D

Andrew Cooke
09-07-2010, 17:58
sounds like I'd also need to look at an electro-mechanical solution... not quite what I was hoping for, but I suppose it'll be OK. I wonder if there are any 60 tooth trigger rings kicking around...

what does a 60-2 look like? I'm assuming that's what's on a PH1 172, but I'm guessing, is that right?

btw Chris, did you ever get anywhere with the sirius 32? I'm tempted to have a play. I could do with geting hold of some extra ECUs though as I don't fancy buggering up the one on the car :laugh:

Scoff
09-07-2010, 21:00
You could machine a 60-2 ring up in no time. 60 equally spaced teeth with 2 (next to one and other) removed. That's what is on your flywheel. I looked for 60-2 trigger wheels last year for a job I was doing, I could only find them in the USA so I made one from 4mm mild steel. It would have been nice to have had it laser cut and plated though. The bigger diamater you can make it, the better. Too small and there might not be enough level from the VR to trigger the ECU.

Re the sirius 32, I didn't bother once I saw the cost of the tools. I almost never need to touch a standard ECU when I'm out and about tweeking :)