PDA

View Full Version : How to identify a Gearbox

Alistair Gresty
08-07-2010, 11:10
Have a gearbox I want to get rid of but don't know which particular Renault model it's from.

Is there a way of finding out? Assuming theres some numbers stamped on it somewhere?

Thanks in Advance!!!

Coops
08-07-2010, 12:20
Have a gearbox I want to get rid of but don't know which particular Renault model it's from.

Is there a way of finding out? Assuming theres some numbers stamped on it somewhere?

Thanks in Advance!!!

most renault boxes should have a code plaque sandwiched on one of the bolts on the top off the diff part of the casing

Alistair Gresty
08-07-2010, 14:32
most renault boxes should have a code plaque sandwiched on one of the bolts on the top off the diff part of the casing

Cheers are there any other clues, it doesn't appear to have a plaque anywhere?

Coops
08-07-2010, 14:38
bolt spacing for top gearbox mount

bolt in or circlipped diff

bolt in or sleeve type input shaft cover inside bell housing

speedo drive or no speedo drive

depends on roughly how old you think it is? where it came from? could all be clues!

Alistair Gresty
08-07-2010, 19:32
Think the guy who dumped it at my unit said it was from a diesel laguna or a megane of some sort,, cant remember it was 3 years ago!! Have put some pics on my profile if you wouldnt mind taking a quick look.

Many thanks,

Coops
08-07-2010, 22:42
as you say mate, looks like a late 90's megane or laguna or even a mk1 172 box, can you get a pic of the input shaft inside the bell housing? that will tell me if its a jc5 of a jb series box:)

Alistair Gresty
11-07-2010, 11:49
as you say mate, looks like a late 90's megane or laguna or even a mk1 172 box, can you get a pic of the input shaft inside the bell housing? that will tell me if its a jc5 of a jb series box:)

Thanks for your help, I have put 3 more pics on!

Coops
11-07-2010, 14:57
alas thats the weaker jb series of box mate, see the sleeve around the input shaft in the bell housing is pressed in, its not a bolt in plate? thats what identifies it definately as a jb not a jc box.

looking at the output shaft for the longer driveshaft as well it looks like a small seal on it, so i would guess the box is a jb1 from a 1.2 or similar newer model clio/kangoo etc