PDA

View Full Version : ahhhhhhhh! electrics

gimme5
06-07-2010, 20:21
not my strong point!
i have no oil level or pressure reading the only thing that happens is the light at the side of the gauge comes on, cleaned connectors,no breaks in wire how do they work and how can i test them to find out whats at fault, also when i press brake pedal right hand side indicator arrow on dash lights up aswell as foglight symbol all these worked 5 yrs ago when i bought car but its spent most of them in bit boxes!!!
just want to get it on road now and try and make ND
any advice very much apprciated sorry for long paragraph

J$£5GTT
06-07-2010, 20:23
rtoc calling nick the 'burger king' !!!
:p

dangerous dave
06-07-2010, 22:37
its a pressure sender so im gonna have a stab at this and say to test it you need some pressure:p

whip off the sender and bodge it onto a footpump or something using a few cunning hoses, jubilees etc.. pump the pedal and see if the gauge in the car reads..

i thought my gauge was knackered as i was sure my sender etc was ok, but when i tested my dial in a mates 5 the oil pressure popped up.. good news both ways as he thought his sender was fecked.. :cool:

new senders are 50 or so:(

and a working oil guage is a few quid.. i sh1t right out:crap:

Tony Walker
06-07-2010, 22:58
Your light problems on the dash are a bad earth/dodgy connection on one of your rear lights. take the connectors off and you'll probably see some corrosion on them, clean them up and all should be good :D

gimme5
07-07-2010, 08:40
ok light one should be a easy fix
forgot to mention that oil level also not working
pressure and level stopped working at same time could it be a connector behide dials
thanks for replies

Tony Walker
07-07-2010, 19:10
they are seperate sensors so probably more likely a gauge problem than both sensors, i suppose if your engine is moving alot or a particually violent gear change u might of done something to the wiring for them both. the connectors on to both sensors arent great. make sure there still attached. Both arent that accurate in the first place, aftermarket oil pressure/temp gauge would be a good way forward. i got a mocal combined oil press/temp one, think it was only about £40-50 from tweeks which i thought was pretty reasonable.

gimme5
07-07-2010, 19:34
fixed dash light problem
dont want to get after market gauges as car is totally standard is thier a feed on these wires not sure how sensors work can i short them across ???? to see whats at fault:confused:

Tony Walker
07-07-2010, 20:59
never looked in to the wiring involved, its not gonna be that simple as it switches from level to pressure. there both just variable resistors tho, so should have continuity across the sensor terminals, what resistance at what oil level and pressure i dont know sorry.

Andrew Cooke
07-07-2010, 21:32
have you tried swapping the connectors on the oil pressure sensor on the engine?

gimme5
07-07-2010, 21:55
tried swaping them in one configertion no light next to oil level/pressure gauge
other config light comes on when you switch ignition on so left them in that position as something was happening,connectors were cleaned when engine was out of car
they must be in right position for the light to come on,(the outer curve of the pressure gradiants) if you know what i mean:confused:

Andrew Cooke
07-07-2010, 22:09
tried swaping them in one configertion no light next to oil level/pressure gauge
other config light comes on when you switch ignition on so left them in that position as something was happening,connectors were cleaned when engine was out of car
they must be in right position for the light to come on,(the outer curve of the pressure gradiants) if you know what i mean:confused:

yep, that sounds right to me.

gimme5
07-07-2010, 22:16
any other ideas some one must have had similar problem:crap:

Nick k
07-07-2010, 22:43
The oil pressure Sender has 2 wires on it. Orange and brown i think. If you are getting a light in the curve and red oil light coming on the dash with ignition on but engine not running then the wiring is correct. the dial should see the oil level at this stage and rise up to 6 if max on oil (Reading from the oil level probe in the sump). Once the engine is running the gauge should un light up and just read pressure from the other wire on the oil pressure sender. I would say check the connection on the back of clocks first as its using two seperate sensors and none of them are reading at present. I doubt it is the gauge itself but might be worth a fiddle. Check the main **** block in the engine bay too as all the connection for the gauge go through that. ;)

The oil gauge in the missis turbo works for about 10 seconds every now and then and i really cant to arsed with the stupid thing to be fair! :D

gimme5
07-07-2010, 22:48
checked back of clocks will look at main block connector next,am also getting to point
of f##k it:)

gimme5
08-07-2010, 22:50
checked block connector totally stuck now:confused:

Adam 005
08-07-2010, 23:30
it could be loads of things causing the problem with the level /presure gauge.poor earth. big conector behind headlight broken.dail it's self.wire broken in loom.ribbon on back of clock panel broken.sender broken.i have even seen the needle stuck on the backing of the gauge before(mainly on clocks with white dail kits)

Mr Raider
09-07-2010, 11:33
Could be oil pressure gauge in clocks, was on mine so could try another set of clocks. Also I bought another level sensor for sump as think they are still available