PDA

View Full Version : bonding side skirts

djinuk
05-07-2010, 12:02
Ok, ive had 2 x new sills which means i no longer have the original rivit head which you clip the skirts onto.

Instead a few of you mentioned simply bonding them on, my question is , what adhesive and where abouts do you generally put it on the car. Also do you still rivit the bottom edge.

tubby5
05-07-2010, 15:56
Why don't you just rivet the clips to the sill?

djinuk
06-07-2010, 13:20
it will be really difficult to get them in the exact correct places as thers no old sill to compare it to..

wrightygtt
06-07-2010, 17:59
tbh mate, if you do some measuring on the sideskirts, you'll find it easier putting rivets and doing properly rather than bonding them on, also rip your paint off come the time if you ever need to take the sideskirt off again, just gets messy.

J$£5GTT
06-07-2010, 19:39
tbh mate, if you do some measuring on the sideskirts, you'll find it easier putting rivets and doing properly rather than bonding them on, also rip your paint off come the time if you ever need to take the sideskirt off again, just gets messy.

:agree:

dangerous dave
06-07-2010, 22:32
Ok, ive had 2 x new sills which means i no longer have the original rivit head which you clip the skirts onto.

Instead a few of you mentioned simply bonding them on, my question is , what adhesive and where abouts do you generally put it on the car. Also do you still rivit the bottom edge.

i was talking to a painter and that what he said they do... bond them on:scared:

if i paid someone to paint my car and they bonded them on id want all my money back.. i want class, not ar5e..

cgb sell some repair parts for broken skirts so copy them rather than buying them, pick up some new skirt clips and as said above a few well placed pop rivits will do the job..:)

TrixNFlix
06-07-2010, 22:55
i was talking to a painter and that what he said they do... bond them on:scared:

if i paid someone to paint my car and they bonded them on id want all my money back.. i want class, not ar5e..

cgb sell some repair parts for broken skirts so copy them rather than buying them, pick up some new skirt clips and as said above a few well placed pop rivits will do the job..:)

well said. :agree:

GTphil
06-07-2010, 23:04
:laugh: I will stick to bonding em on thankyouplease!:wasntme:

IF you do it correctly (don't plaster them with sealant) you will be able to take them off without taking the paint off and also leave space for water to escape ect.

Why bother putting nasty rust starting rivets into you shiney new sills! :p

tubby5
06-07-2010, 23:14
You do know you can get stainless rivets:coffee:

GTphil
06-07-2010, 23:15
Can you get stainless sills to?

TrixNFlix
06-07-2010, 23:23
:laugh: I will stick to bonding em on thankyouplease!:wasntme:

IF you do it correctly (don't plaster them with sealant) you will be able to take them off without taking the paint off and also leave space for water to escape ect.

Why bother putting nasty rust starting rivets into you shiney new sills! :p

Blackburn pikey! :cooter::laugh:

GTphil
06-07-2010, 23:24
Blackburn pikey! :cooter::laugh:

I'm from oldham me lad! ;) So technically an oldham pikey!:laugh:

TrixNFlix
06-07-2010, 23:45
I'm from oldham me lad! ;) So technically an oldham pikey!:laugh:
:agree: :agree:
:wasntme:

djinuk
07-07-2010, 06:58
seems to be quite a debate on whether to bond them or fit them with the clips .

J$£5GTT
07-07-2010, 17:25
seems to be quite a debate on whether to bond them or fit them with the clips .

no brainer really isnt it!...rivets ftw!
:D

dont bother with bolts an rivets mate just 'bond' it on..
ideal for securing your engine in to..:cartman::laugh:

jonnyshaw49
08-07-2010, 16:21
hi i have used the cilps from cgb that go onto the sills and the repair ones that go onto the skirts,however my gap for the rubber is too big , i may have placed the clips onto the cill at the wrong height causing them to stick out more, has anyone got a detailed photo showing the clips on the cill or a measurement how far down they are off the top of the cill to the centre of the clip where the rivet would be as i also dont have the original rivets after having new cills, thanks

djinuk
09-07-2010, 09:01
yea please, if somebody could measure how heigh the rivits are set then ill do it taht way. i presume there is a small amount of adjustment to move them.

adscan
29-03-2012, 20:14
I need to bond my side skirts on. What adhesive please? The one that was used prior was black and looked like some kind of mastic/sealant.

GTphil
29-03-2012, 20:34
Tiger seal or stixall (something like that)

I tend to do it along the bottom of the skirt and leave an inch gap every 6 inches or so for water to escape, then I have bits of the old plastic hanger things still on my sideskirts, I also use a good blob on these.

Make sure you have the masking tape to hand and that your side skirt rubber strip is on the correct way round.

Tiger seal is more workable when warm, I bung mine in a bucket of hot water 10 mins before hand;)

I would still rather bond them on than drill/ rivet my shiney new sills!!:coffee:

Brigsy
29-03-2012, 20:46
Just use small blobs of tigerseal on the tabs and tape them in place. I bolted the bottom edge.

adscan
29-03-2012, 21:02
Tigerseal.

Cheers guys.