PDA

View Full Version : Cooling issues

Shane P
24-06-2010, 22:36
I am sure i am losing water from somewhere but i can't find where?

The header tank level doesn't rise slightly when its hot like it use to, it just stays the same. When the car has cooled down about an inch or so of coolant has gone. After 15mins of driving.

The running temp creep up as i start to slow down, although a constant 30mph will make the temp drop to about 30% up the guage.

I have presurised the system with a modified expansion cap and nothing happened, no noise no leaks from anywhere that i can see. Leads me to believe that the expansion cap itself is faulty?

Would doing the above test show up if the head has a crack in it somewhere?

Coolant system has been drained, filled bled and rebled to try and rule out an airlock.

Any ideas please? :(

Purple_rob
24-06-2010, 22:53
Absolute obvious question but, I assume there is no water in the oil.

It could be possible it is leaking in the cylinder and burning away.

Theres only so many places the water can go :).

On the floor
In the oil
In the cylinder

:)

Shane P
24-06-2010, 22:57
Absolute obvious question but, I assume there is no water in the oil.

It could be possible it is leaking in the cylinder and burning away.

Theres only so many places the water can go :).

On the floor
In the oil
In the cylinder

:)

:) There is no oil/water mix, both seem the correct colour and thickness level. When i pressure tested the cooling system nothing dripped out from anywhere? I don't understand why the water level doesn't rise in the header tank anymore? Its obviously a leak of some kind but i can't find it?

dangerous dave
24-06-2010, 22:57
i've had leaks everywhere, the water pump bearing weeping, crack in the rad, leaking nipple, one of the pipe by the header tank loose, i looked for weeks for that one:ashamed: heater matrix?

take things off, clean and refit, you might not see it, but you might fix it without even knowing..:cool:

Shane P
24-06-2010, 23:02
i've had leaks everywhere, the water pump bearing weeping, crack in the rad, leaking nipple, one of the pipe by the header tank loose, i looked for weeks for that one:ashamed: heater matrix?

take things off, clean and refit, you might not see it, but you might fix it without even knowing..:cool:

I have replaced the full headset of gaskets, had the head slightly skimmed and pressure tested during this period.

Pressuried the cooling systems afterwards with 'tyre valve fitted to expansion cap mod' and found no leaks from anything?

Replaced the last 4 remaining OE pipes, rebled the system after flushing and draining/filling and repressurised the system with the above mod again to check for leaks and found none :(

Shane P
24-06-2010, 23:34
:) What i am asking for basically is :

A fellow club member's services.

Do we have any mobile mechanics on the site? Does anybody want to come down, diagnose the problem and fix it for me please? There is plenty of space for about 7 cars on my driveway so working conditions/space should be acceptable.

I would obviously pay for all expenses and would provide whatever is needed to keep them happy, i just NEED my car fixed please. :)

Any takers?

bigdavec1974
25-06-2010, 08:24
Had the same issues quite recently mate, turned out tobe a hair line crack on a liner. But like has been said could be anything. Gl

Shane P
30-06-2010, 07:46
Is there a way to check whether a liner has failed without taking it all apart again? :)

Markey Mark (BD)
30-06-2010, 17:56
Is there a way to check whether a liner has failed without taking it all apart again? :)

Presurise the water system with a coolant pressure tester kit and see if the water leaks into the cylinder or past the liner seal, thats only real way of doing apart from wipping the head off and looking at the liner itself.

old skool turbo power
30-06-2010, 22:33
I am sure i am losing water from somewhere but i can't find where?

The header tank level doesn't rise slightly when its hot like it use to, it just stays the same. When the car has cooled down about an inch or so of coolant has gone. After 15mins of driving.

The running temp creep up as i start to slow down, although a constant 30mph will make the temp drop to about 30% up the guage.

I have presurised the system with a modified expansion cap and nothing happened, no noise no leaks from anywhere that i can see. Leads me to believe that the expansion cap itself is faulty?

Would doing the above test show up if the head has a crack in it somewhere?

Coolant system has been drained, filled bled and rebled to try and rule out an airlock.

Any ideas please? :(

take out your rad check that for leaks get it pressure tested.if the temp is riseing and you seem to be losing water but there is no signs of it id have a good guess that the core of the rad is shot to pecies?
as the rad is pretty hot this will leak out water from the core of the rad and also the edges.you will not notice any water will be leakin because it will only leak kinda slow and the water will then evaporate from the rad therefore no leaks is shown :(use the valeo rads as well :agree::)

Shane P
05-07-2010, 15:26
I am a bit late in saying it, but thankyou all for your help, much appreciated :agree:

Shane P
07-08-2010, 19:58
My coolant temparature sits a bit higher on the gauge then i am normally use to. I have an external oil cooler in place in front of the radiator and i am also missing the two main bits of radiator cowling from the front.

Does having the cowling in place make much of a difference to the running temparature? :)