PDA

View Full Version : which rear dampers?

Ross
20-06-2010, 21:03
I'm after some new rear dampers as mine are near as dam it on the bump stops I've done the doris mod on them which has helped but I'm thinking some stiffer ones are needed how much stiffer are extra van dampers? Or would koni's or something be best?

dangerous dave
20-06-2010, 21:35
Dampers won't stop movement, that's the torsion bar.. The dampers slow the the movement, so if it's that low it won't save you.

You can buy rear dampers on there own, gaz etc and they'll give you more control over oe, but stiff isn't great, I nearly snapped my neck after hitting a bump a while ago. :(

Shane P
20-06-2010, 21:42
Gaz rear shocks set on maximum soft setting + 35mm drop + 55 profile tyres = The comfiest ride ever :D

My 5 only goes to work and back plus the occasional shopping trip though, i would probably die on track :D

Ross
20-06-2010, 21:48
Dampers won't stop movement, that's the torsion bar.. The dampers slow the the movement, so if it's that low it won't save you.

You can buy rear dampers on there own, gaz etc and they'll give you more control over oe, but stiff isn't great, I nearly snapped my neck after hitting a bump a while ago. :(

cheers Dave guess I'll have to lift it up a bit I didn't think it was super super low to be honest its no way near as low as spooky's don't know how he does it!

Spooky
20-06-2010, 21:52
:D

dangerous dave
20-06-2010, 22:03
i had my car this low for 1 day and thats when i had the neck breaker after hitting a big dip in the road, rear beam smashed into the boot floor/wheel arch join.. sent me up off the seat:sad2:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=150&pictureid=1408

after that i turned the spines another notch and all was good, a tinker with the rear gaz damper and i never had a problem again.. :)

Ross
20-06-2010, 22:04
Lol do you have rear seats in? Is it really rattly and crashy? It's tin rattles that bother me more than ride comfort!

dangerous dave
20-06-2010, 22:19
Lol do you have rear seats in? Is it really rattly and crashy? It's tin rattles that bother me more than ride comfort!

i had the hole rear in and it was fine, the cars always a bit bumpy and rattled, but the UK's roads are dog craap, hit a good bit of tarmac and its fine..

the toyos made a lovely buzz as you get on a freshly layed road, it was magic:D

Ross
20-06-2010, 22:35
Maybe its just me then might just have to learn to live with it as like you said on better quality roads its fine!

rat1
20-06-2010, 22:36
i've got gaz dampers on my 5,i find them great.just wind them up if you've got a boot full of crap:eek:

benj88
21-06-2010, 00:14
i had my car this low for 1 day and thats when i had the neck breaker after hitting a big dip in the road, rear beam smashed into the boot floor/wheel arch join.. sent me up off the seat:sad2:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=150&pictureid=1408

after that i turned the spines another notch and all was good, a tinker with the rear gaz damper and i never had a problem again.. :)

That looks class that like it's on it's arse!! What set up have you got on the front?

dangerous dave
21-06-2010, 00:16
gaz all round with the stiffer springs than they offer you out the box up front..

benj88
21-06-2010, 02:22
gaz all round with the stiffer springs than they offer you out the box up front..

:agree: cool