PDA

View Full Version : retrims

jimmy_b
20-06-2010, 13:36
has anyone on here ever attempted or knows about interior retrims? im thinking about giving it ago but i cant find a how to..............

dangerous dave
20-06-2010, 13:47
I've wondered myself how hard this would be.

Strip the seats cover off, pull the seams out, copy each piece and mark the lines where the stitching needs to go, stitch it up... How hard can It be hahahha :scared:

I know a dress maker who works with all sorts of material and have been meaning to ask if she's equiped to do such a thing.

car.crash
20-06-2010, 14:15
My neighbour just got new seats for his citreon ds. Cost about 3k and that was on exchange basis with door cards in black leather.

jimmy_b
20-06-2010, 14:26
I've wondered myself how hard this would be.

Strip the seats cover off, pull the seams out, copy each piece and mark the lines where the stitching needs to go, stitch it up... How hard can It be hahahha :scared:

I know a dress maker who works with all sorts of material and have been meaning to ask if she's equiped to do such a thing.

that was my thinking. mayb try on a rear bench first

Adam 005
20-06-2010, 15:48
i striped my raider seat and refitted them with leather retrims mysel but i did not do the stiching.
striping and refitting the frount seats is not easy but the backs are very easy.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/adam005/_DSC0031.jpg

TNT Tricky Nicky
20-06-2010, 15:56
my mate was an upholsterer, done chairs and benches and that sort of thing i asked him if he'd do my car seats and he said "f***k off, they're the most difficult thing to do"

luckily i'm not far from lotus and been giving a few names of people who work/worked there trimming seats/interiors, i've not followed anything up though

RoboEK
20-06-2010, 23:00
Adam your interior looks outstanding :cool:

Jimmy i would say if you can get the fabric at a decent price than have a go your self but if it goes tits up be ready to have to pay a retrimer to do it. iv seen some home done retrims and thay can look fu*king awfall especily if your thinking of doing leather and alcantara, because there diffrent materiels one will streach more than the other and you have to allow for that.

dangerous dave
20-06-2010, 23:09
Adam your interior looks outstanding :cool:

Jimmy i would say if you can get the fabric at a decent price than have a go your self but if it goes tits up be ready to have to pay a retrimer to do it. iv seen some home done retrims and thay can look fu*king awfall especily if your thinking of doing leather and alcantara, because there diffrent materiels one will streach more than the other and you have to allow for that.

i've seen a few professional ones and think they look sheeite.. baggy in one area, tight in another, im sure it only takes a few mm to the left or right when sewing and its poop.. but thats where you can try again because your not trying to earn money, do it to a timeframe etc.. do it till its right and make it mint..

if you do a sh1t job thats your doing:p

jimmy_b
21-06-2010, 20:35
cheers ppl.
adam that interior looks awesome.
my missus mum does soft furnishings so ive asked if she would be prepared to stitch them together for me.
adam - did you cut the fabric etc or just strip the seats and get someone else to do it?

Adam 005
21-06-2010, 21:42
:agree:
cheers ppl.
adam that interior looks awesome.
my missus mum does soft furnishings so ive asked if she would be prepared to stitch them together for me.
adam - did you cut the fabric etc or just strip the seats and get someone else to do it?

when i got the seats they were still on the frames but in very bad condition with the backs snap and all the foam was rubbish so i made one good set out of two.