PDA

View Full Version : paint advice - brand new grill

djinuk
19-06-2010, 22:20
just after some general paint advice..

Im repainting my full r5 bodykit, and have so far high built all the kit.

I also have a brand spanking new grill and im wondering if i need to use a special plastic primer before using the high build, or whether the high build should be ok going straight on considering its not really a smooth plastic.

djinuk
21-06-2010, 13:34
anybody

rs250nut
21-06-2010, 16:13
Bare plastic will need an adhesion promotor/plastic primer before any high build is put on. Try not to load it too much other wise its more likley to chip or flake off. You could use a wet on wet primer. Instead though

djinuk
21-06-2010, 16:23
ah ok, is wet on wet basically a primer where i apply it and then 5 mins later chuck the highbuild onto it?, rather than putting plastic primer down, allowing it to dry then flatting it and then hitting it with high build.

just to add , does this product look ideal.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U-POL-1K-PLASTIC-PRIMER-600ML-/230485989691?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item35aa09193b

dangerous dave
21-06-2010, 16:25
i just used normal grey primer from halfords and black before some clear.. never had a problem, but as its such a small area i can't see you having any..

the sideskirt i did wasn't the best, didn't ruff it up anywhere near enough, a good key is needed:)

rs250nut
21-06-2010, 18:54
i just used normal grey primer from halfords and black before some clear.. never had a problem, but as its such a small area i can't see you having any..

the sideskirt i did wasn't the best, didn't ruff it up anywhere near enough, a good key is needed:)

Whats the point in not doing the job properly though? Plastic primer in a can can be had for less than a tenner and will last forever.

D.j

Wet on wet primer is used a lot on new panels (plastic and metal) and instead of waiting for it to go off then rub it down you paint straight on top of it after it has flashed off. If you put it down on metal you need etch on plastic you need Plastic primer, adhesion promotor :)

dangerous dave
21-06-2010, 19:28
I'm all for doing right, why reach for the wrong can on primer when the correct types sat next to it.

But still my grills been good for 4 years and I just used what was kicking about the garage.. So yea your right, but I'd still use any old sh1t everytime on something small like a grill or wing mirror. :p