PDA

View Full Version : GTT Steering Rack Request

Coops
19-06-2010, 19:06
anyone know if it bolts directly to a clio subframe? any pics of one fitted to 5 or clio frame and also pics off one off the car?

much appreciated

thanks

Ben

Markey Mark (BD)
19-06-2010, 19:09
anyone know if it bolts directly to a clio subframe? any pics of one fitted to 5 or clio frame and also pics off one off the car?

much appreciated

thanks

Ben

Yes the gt rack will bolt to the clio frame but the rack itself is shorter from end to end compared to the clio rack.

Coops
19-06-2010, 22:50
Yes the gt rack will bolt to the clio frame but the rack itself is shorter from end to end compared to the clio rack.

the rack or the rods? i guess the rod ends are shorter as well, and presume the rods themselves but not the rack surely?

Markey Mark (BD)
19-06-2010, 22:59
the rack or the rods? i guess the rod ends are shorter as well, and presume the rods themselves but not the rack surely?

I'm trying to remember from when i fitted a 5 gt rack to the clio frame that we had on the front of the mini.

Thinking of it i think the rack is wider on the track rods on the clio rack compared to the gt, the track rod ends were roughly the same length, the basic body was roughly same length as it lined up nicely to the mounting holes.
I remember having to unscrew the 5 gt track rod ends out quite abit to bring the wheels into line.

Coops
20-06-2010, 15:16
it would make sense that the inner rods were different, i'll get hold of a gtt rack and offer her up anyway!

cheers for the input fella, much apprecaited:)

HAndy
20-06-2010, 21:36
will the r11 steering rack fit that would have wider track rods:scratch:

dangerous dave
20-06-2010, 22:59
what racks on your car, if its a power steering one thats been discontected it mounts to the steering column hight up so the gtt one wont just slot into place..

i pulled a rack off a non pas clio that had a 4-6 inch extension.. :)

Coops
21-06-2010, 11:36
nah i already have a manual conversion on the car, but using a clio 1.2 rack and thats got 3.75 turns lock to lock, so want to fit the GTT rack if its quicker (less turns lock to lock) to regain some feel as the clio power racks are only 2.75 lock to lock and feel much more responsive, but i prefer the overall feel of manual steering, just need to regain some of the immediate feel to the input and hoping a GTT rack is that little bit quicker :-)

dangerous dave
21-06-2010, 16:46
nah i already have a manual conversion on the car, but using a clio 1.2 rack and thats got 3.75 turns lock to lock, so want to fit the GTT rack if its quicker (less turns lock to lock) to regain some feel as the clio power racks are only 2.75 lock to lock and feel much more responsive, but i prefer the overall feel of manual steering, just need to regain some of the immediate feel to the input and hoping a GTT rack is that little bit quicker :-)

im with you, thats most likely the set up i had...

if the gtt rack will mount to the column than half the battles one, even if the track on the clios that bit wider than the 5 im sure theres a track rod end, or bar itself that can extend the difference..

its finding it thats the problem.. you need 5 minutes in the parts store at gsf or something..:smokin:

rs250nut
21-06-2010, 18:48
Can you not use the williams rack without the pump? Has anyone tryed it

andyrg
23-06-2010, 09:30
Can you not use the williams rack without the pump? Has anyone tryed it

Yes ans Yes, I have a Williams Rack, Full of grease blocked off :) No issues so far,

I also run the Clio 172 Arms, and Hubs and Brakes :) All on the mk1 clio

f0xy
23-06-2010, 19:51
Same as above with the PAS holes on the williams rack welded up and filled with grease... Used it since October 2008 and not had a problem

Coops
24-06-2010, 11:08
foxy, i'm back in wazza this weekend, can i be really cheeky and have a blat in your motor to see how it feels on the pikie pas removal rack??:cool:

f0xy
24-06-2010, 13:48
Yeah I should be around, just give me a text