PDA

View Full Version : coilover spring help

Slim
17-06-2010, 20:07
hi Guys,

one of my springs cracked so i need a replacement. I recently bought 2 front springs but they were the wrong ones..they were too thin as they didnt 'sit' in the shock properly.. so I would like to get it right this time :scratch:

i dont know the make of the coilovers.. i js know they are not avo, gaz or any other make that i know of.

Can someone tell me what to measure exactly and what to be aware of... and most importantly where to get them from? would this website be any good> http://www.dfaulknersprings.com/sp22570.htm (if it is im js not sure which ones too get.. very confusing for me)

thanks in advance

Slim

olidaviesuk
18-06-2010, 16:02
Get the original spring (that cracked) and a tape measure then measure across the spring from the one side of the top coil to the other side (you need the inside measurement (ie inside the spring) - this is the ID (internal diameter) typical sizes are 2, 2.25,2.5 &3" (inches)

Then measure the height of the spring (inches) so you will have an ID figure and a height figure ie..

2.25 x 7

you then need to specify a poundage, if its a road car then anything between 225 - 300 will be okay (the higher the figure the stiffer the car will be)

Simples :)

Slim
25-06-2010, 21:54
thanks darling.. i thought as much.. but js wanted to make sure.

Slim
16-07-2010, 15:22
Hi peeps... need some help on coilover springs again pls.

I will be purchasing new springs for my 'unknown' coilovers. My query is that the original one is about 8.5 inches and 2.5id, but i cant find anywhere to purchase this from. I only can find 2.5id with 7" free length.

Should i use them ^^ or do i need spring helpers?? the car is on its lowest setting btw.. i think the spring helpers only come in 2" :S

James5
16-07-2010, 15:30
Hi peeps... need some help on coilover springs again pls.

I will be purchasing new springs for my 'unknown' coilovers. My query is that the original one is about 8.5 inches and 2.5id, but i cant find anywhere to purchase this from. I only can find 2.5id with 7" free length.

Should i use them ^^ or do i need spring helpers?? the car is on its lowest setting btw.. i think the spring helpers only come in 2" :S

As you have adjustable coilovers you can adjust the height with the height adjuster on the body of the shock to compensate for the slightly shorter springs as you will defo need to raise it at least 1 -2" if you want to keep the same ride height you have at present

My original springs were 8" length I now only use 6" length springs much stiffer than the standard stuff and I don't use helper springs either.

What poundage springs you looking for?

Spax use 300lbs springs as standard
AVO's about 220lbs
Gaz 175lbs but they sometime comes with 220lbs

Slim
16-07-2010, 15:30
actually.. silly me,,, ive found longer than 7"" :ashamed: but only 8 or 9 but not 8.5 :scratch: i guessi have to go with either of them :sad2:

Slim
16-07-2010, 16:25
so basically.. if i get shorter springs.. then the car will sit lower right? does that also mean... if i get shorter springs and adjust height.. the damper will work better than before (as it was on the lowest setting before) .. ???

i dno what rate i should get.. i was told something like 175 lbs??

James5
16-07-2010, 16:33
so basically.. if i get shorter springs.. then the car will sit lower right? does that also mean... if i get shorter springs and adjust height.. the damper will work better than before (as it was on the lowest setting before) .. ???

i dno what rate i should get.. i was told something like 175 lbs??

175lbs is a little weak to be honest for a good road usage spring I would be looking at around the 300lbs mark as you can normally adjsut on coilovers rebound so you can make it feel softer or stiffer (i assume your coilovers can do that).

And yeah if you use a shorter spring you can go lower if you want but then you have to consider the length of the damper shaft. As said previously you can use a shorter spring and set it up to keep the height you are using now by merely adjusting the height adjuster nut so the adjuster nut goes up the shaft then the shock shaft will will bemoving the same as before but on a shorter spring ot just get one of a simlar height and adjust it a little to set your ride height

Slim
16-07-2010, 16:39
nope.. cant adjust rebound on these crapy coilovers :cry: to me they feel like medium settings on Avo's

so what would be ideal for me?

what length would you go for if you had 8.5"lenght but only available ones are 8 or 9... P.s ... i know how to change height n stuff.. im a bit better than a novice hehe :cooter:

James5
16-07-2010, 16:44
nope.. cant adjust rebound on these crapy coilovers :cry: to me they feel like medium settings on Avo's

so what would be ideal for me?

****e., wrong thread oops..

Do you know the poundage of your orginal springs?

Personally the choice is yours the stiffer the spring the more uncomfortable the ride will be (more solid).
300lbs springs are bordering on this especially if you can't adjust the rebound. So maybe a 220lbs spring is good for your setup

James5
16-07-2010, 16:45
what length would you go for if you had 8.5"lenght but only available ones are 8 or 9... P.s ... i know how to change height n stuff.. im a bit better than a novice hehe :cooter:

:ashamed:Sorry, go for the 8"

Slim
16-07-2010, 16:48
hmm k thanks mate,, im just gna wait a couple of days to see if anyone on here has anything similar to what i need.. cos there quite expensive brand new :(

James5
16-07-2010, 16:50
hmm k thanks mate,, im just gna wait a couple of days to see if anyone on here has anything similar to what i need.. cos there quite expensive brand new :(

I think Alastair has made comments on a thread recently with regards to coilover springs as he does alot of track days so might be worth having a look at his profile for his recent threads and takeing a peak at them.

Slim
16-07-2010, 20:57
thanks james