PDA

View Full Version : 4pots

benj88
16-06-2010, 17:35
Does anyone have any advice on 4pots? Tryd looking for some on the Internet but havnt got far, anyone got any links to some websites? Thinking about getting some and want to no how much i'd be looking at.. And what peoples opinions are on the different makes, thanks

dangerous dave
16-06-2010, 17:43
they cost a few quid, you'd then stuck on 15s which isn't so bad.. a cheap bigger brake kit can be made up using disks of other cars, standard pads and caliper extenders if you can find them..

but if i was fronting the money i'd go for the 4 pots, not that you really need them..

on the other hand rear calipers are £100 odd a piece on the net and fronts are 40 or so..

why no i say.. :)

Mart
16-06-2010, 17:50
Does anyone have any advice on 4pots?

Yeah, save your money.

benj88
16-06-2010, 17:52
they cost a few quid, you'd then stuck on 15s which isn't so bad.. a cheap bigger brake kit can be made up using disks of other cars, standard pads and caliper extenders if you can find them..

but if i was fronting the money i'd go for the 4 pots, not that you really need them..

on the other hand rear calipers are £100 odd a piece on the net and fronts are 40 or so..

why no i say.. :)

Iv got 15s on now mate, I no there not really needed they just look mint that's all, like the willwoods.. Can you get that kit for the 5?

The new Bill J
16-06-2010, 18:10
I no there not really needed they just look mint that's all

So do foxes, but you wouldn't go covering your car in those, would you? :scared: :laugh:

TrixNFlix
16-06-2010, 18:13
So do foxes, but you wouldn't go covering your car in those, would you? :scared: :laugh:

That was awful bill:sad2::cry::laugh:

The new Bill J
16-06-2010, 18:16
That was awful bill:sad2::cry::laugh:

:D

At least you got it :cartman:

TrixNFlix
16-06-2010, 18:20
:D

At least you got it :cartman:

wish i hadn't :rolleyes:
:p

The new Bill J
16-06-2010, 18:20
wish i hadn't :rolleyes:
:p

:sad:

car.crash
16-06-2010, 18:21
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/2426929285_c287716082.jpg
all that car needs now is a KTEC over haul and 4 pots.

The new Bill J
16-06-2010, 18:24
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/2426929285_c287716082.jpg
all that car needs now is a KTEC over haul and 4 pots.

:agree: :laugh:

benj88
16-06-2010, 18:25
Lol. So does everyone think 4pots are gay then :laugh: I think they do look good though, I no there not needed, never mind I only wanted some links

car.crash
16-06-2010, 18:32
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Red-Brembo-Style-Brake-Caliper-Cover-Front-Rear-4-pcs-/260603049728?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cad26f700
here you go, now you can be just like the subaru boys, but dont forget the matching subaru jacket, hat, decals, t shirt, key ring, mug, glasses, shoes, tattoo's etc etc.

i would run 4 pots myself but i like to be able to slip 13's on for the track. i tried and tried to get ultralites under 13's but lack of discs killed it in the end but the caliper will go under without much hasssle according to the guy who was mocking it up for me. im sure if somone was to put more effort into finding a set of discs to fit its perfectly do-able on stock rims.

The new Bill J
16-06-2010, 18:34
Lol. So does everyone think 4pots are gay then :laugh:

Yep, 6 pots are where it's at :D

They're not 'gay' at all. A set of monster brakes looks the nuts behind a set of wheels (but then I would say that :laugh: ). The thing is, it's a hell of a lot of money to spend on something that just 'looks good'.

However, the bottom line is that it's your money, and your choice. Each to their own and all that malarkey :agree: :cool:

tubby5
16-06-2010, 18:37
ive got four pots/300mm discs on my 5,and to be fair yeah there not really needed.but they do look good:cool:
the only drawback is i cant run drag slicks:(ive been in two minds recently do i sell them?dont i sell them?prob just wait and see what direction i end up going with the 5

TrixNFlix
16-06-2010, 18:38
Yep, 6 pots are where it's at :D

They're not 'gay' at all. A set of monster brakes looks the nuts behind a set of wheels (but then I would say that :laugh: ). The thing is, it's a hell of a lot of money to spend on something that just 'looks good'.

However, the bottom line is that it's your money, and your choice. Each to their own and all that malarkey :agree: :cool:

:agree::agree::agree:Well said:)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Red-Brembo-Style-Brake-Caliper-Cover-Front-Rear-4-pcs-/260603049728?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cad26f700

They are quality, im putting them on my fiat cinq :D

benj88
16-06-2010, 18:57
ive got four pots/300mm discs on my 5,and to be fair yeah there not really needed.but they do look good:cool:
the only drawback is i cant run drag slicks:(ive been in two minds recently do i sell them?dont i sell them?prob just wait and see what direction i end up going with the 5

Well of you do want to sell them mate give me a pm sometime

markey b
16-06-2010, 19:01
i've got hi-specs, noticable improvement in braking feel, you can brake harder and it doesn't lock up they are very progressive and bite hard, but..... would i spend another £700 on them on another car..... nope...

they do look sexual however:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/mark_wsmcuk/_J1H4247.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/mark_wsmcuk/DSC01043.jpg

Adam L
16-06-2010, 19:17
I'd never buy another set of Hi-spec brakes. That's a comment among many too.

rs250nut
16-06-2010, 19:18
After 10 laps of thruxton on o.e brakes tell me 4 pots are gay. I even run in to fade with the hi-specs sometimes, usally braking down from over a 100

The new Bill J
16-06-2010, 19:28
I've never had fade on track with oe brakes. Admittedly, I've always been light on brakes, but at Donington once, Mart was out in my coupe and he came into the pits with smoke pouring from the front brakes. We aimed a temperature probe at the wheels and it came in at 600 degrees (the paint had melted off of them :cry:).

He said that there was no fade though :cool:

Adam L
16-06-2010, 19:37
I've never had fade on track with oe brakes. Admittedly, I've always been light on brakes, but at Donington once, Mart was out in my coupe and he came into the pits with smoke pouring from the front brakes. We aimed a temperature probe at the wheels and it came in at 600 degrees (the paint had melted off of them :cry:).

He said that there was no fade though :cool:

There wouldn't have been. Mart is so heavy on any pedal, generally when it's not his car, he probably put his foot through the floor and it was his feet smoking.

The new Bill J
16-06-2010, 19:41
There wouldn't have been. Mart is so heavy on any pedal, generally when it's not his car, he probably put his foot through the floor and it was his feet smoking.

:laugh:

It was half his car at the time. Although probably not the half that included the braking system :D

Mart
16-06-2010, 22:05
After 10 laps of thruxton on o.e brakes tell me 4 pots are gay.

Ok, they're gay :D

Perhaps you were running w8nky pads, as I've personally never suffered brake fade on track in Trusty, T-cup, my old Raider, or my Evo - All had/have o.e discs & calipers in situ.

Benj, it's your car, so go for it, if that's what you want. Just avoid the Hi-Spec stuff though.

Ross
16-06-2010, 22:08
What pads did you use mart?

Mart
16-06-2010, 22:11
Pagids on the Raider & Trusty, 1st revision (which you can no longer buy) Greenstuffs on T-cup, but I'd never recommend any of the current *stuffs range, and Performance Friction on the Evo.

rs250nut
16-06-2010, 22:31
Ok, they're gay :D

Perhaps you were running w8nky pads, as I've personally never suffered brake fade on track in Trusty, T-cup, my old Raider, or my Evo - All had/have o.e discs & calipers in situ.

Benj, it's your car, so go for it, if that's what you want. Just avoid the Hi-Spec stuff though.

Maybe its just me then, most of the cars I have owned I have experianced fade at one time or another even on the road. The M3 being the worst.

Edit. Just a quickie Mart, I have a set of Hi-specs and by all means know they are proabley not as good as a set from A.p , Alcon etc but what do you have against them?

Mart
16-06-2010, 23:05
But with what pads in situ? You could have the largest disc possible, with an 8-pot caliper present, but it won't make a difference if you're running chocolate pads.

Hi-Spec made a setup for one of my friends who had a very tweaked Rover Tomcat at the time (circa 8 years ago), and one of the calipers failed (leaked from one of the pistons) no less than 24hr after fitment. Thankfully it wasn't the following 24hr, where he would've been on track at Brands.

My opinion is that you don't feck about cost-cutting when it comes to brakes, because if they fail at a wrong place, wrong time scenario, you might not live to tell the tale.

benj88
17-06-2010, 00:00
Lol iv started a debate, cheers for everyones feedback, i have other things to sort first but I just like 4pots :laugh: iv just had my brakes done actualy iv got oe disks and greenstuff pads there ok really, think they need bleeding though, I'm thinking of getting a set of them 16" prima racing wheels and just think the standard disks and calipers look lost when you can see them threw 15+ wheels

benj88
17-06-2010, 00:02
But with what pads in situ? You could have the largest disc possible, with an 8-pot caliper present, but it won't make a difference if you're running chocolate pads.

Hi-Spec made a setup for one of my friends who had a very tweaked Rover Tomcat at the time (circa 8 years ago), and one of the calipers failed (leaked from one of the pistons) no less than 24hr after fitment. Thankfully it wasn't the following 24hr, where he would've been on track at Brands.

My opinion is that you don't feck about cost-cutting when it comes to brakes, because if they fail at a wrong place, wrong time scenario, you might not live to tell the tale.

:agree:

Nick k
17-06-2010, 00:23
Lol iv started a debate, cheers for everyones feedback, i have other things to sort first but I just like 4pots :laugh: iv just had my brakes done actualy iv got oe disks and greenstuff pads there ok really, think they need bleeding though, I'm thinking of getting a set of them 16" prima racing wheels and just think the standard disks and calipers look lost when you can see them threw 15+ wheels

Won't need bleeding, You getting a hard pedal? you need to get them green's hot before you will notice any improvement above O.E pads. If anything they feel quite bad when you first brake on them from cold.

minty83
17-06-2010, 00:41
Ap's are the way forward but all depends what you do with your car..
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=3222

benj88
17-06-2010, 02:07
Won't need bleeding, You getting a hard pedal? you need to get them green's hot before you will notice any improvement above O.E pads. If anything they feel quite bad when you first brake on them from cold.

Yeh ur rite there mate, I never thought of that, I don't tend to brake verry harsh so they probs don't really get warmd up :agree:

benj88
17-06-2010, 02:09
Them ap's are smart!

The new Bill J
17-06-2010, 14:28
Oh go on then, while everyone's showing off, here's mine :D

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/mrb_gtt/Evo/IMG_0175.jpg

They're not on a Renault though, so probably don't count :cry:

benj88
17-06-2010, 14:59
:agree: :D lol

clee
17-06-2010, 15:03
Something MartinF has developed for the old GTA's .
Trouble is they need 17" rims so knocking on the door of 3k to upgrade by the time you add them and new rubber .Although I do have a set of 17"s but they need spacers and weigh a hell of a lot more than the standard 15" .Pros and cons ....more upsprung weight but better brakes innit .
I reckon I'll stick with the std stuff :laugh:

Adam L
17-06-2010, 18:02
8 pots are where it's at now:D

clee
17-06-2010, 18:30
flobalob

http://www.kaimarconsulting.com/blog/wp-admin/images/BillandBen.jpg

benj88
17-06-2010, 19:12
Haha

i l k e r
17-06-2010, 19:39
ahem :cooter:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=394&pictureid=11918

Adam L
17-06-2010, 20:06
I suppose the other downfall of having larger calipers is the cost of pads, they certainly start getting more expensive. A front set for mine now costs over £200. I'd bare that in mind.

The new Bill J
17-06-2010, 20:12
I suppose the other downfall of having larger calipers is the cost of pads, they certainly start getting more expensive. A front set for mine now costs over £200. I'd bare that in mind.

Pads for my 6 pots are cheaper than for the OE Brembos.

I've just bought a set of DS2500's and they were £90 + VAT.

A set of DS2500's for the OE calipers are £165 + VAT.

Big brakes FTW! :D

Adam L
17-06-2010, 20:20
Pads for my 6 pots are cheaper than for the OE Brembos.

I've just bought a set of DS2500's and they were £90 + VAT.

A set of DS2500's for the OE calipers are £165 + VAT.

Big brakes FTW! :D

Well that's a bit gutting, i've got the own brand 8 pot pads from K Sport, which are ok for the road but I always intended to swap them for the DS2500's as there's no comparison. They're something like £205:(, but i'm going to abuse the car so I guess it'd be needed...

The new Bill J
17-06-2010, 20:29
Well that's a bit gutting, i've got the own brand 8 pot pads from K Sport, which are ok for the road but I always intended to swap them for the DS2500's as there's no comparison. They're something like £205:(, but i'm going to abuse the car so I guess it'd be needed...

The K Sport pads get slated on the MLR. Then again, so does any pad that's not Carbotech :rolleyes:

Adam L
17-06-2010, 20:49
The K Sport pads get slated on the MLR. Then again, so does any pad that's not Carbotech :rolleyes:

I'll be honest, they piss on the stock Nissan 4 pots, as you'd expect, although I never had issues with my front brakes unless I stamped on them... Which happens quite alot with the spastics on the M4, when I shoot over to Dawn's. They're not amazing pads though

No one really raves about the stock K Sport pads on the SXOC either, they all reckon with the DS2500's you can seriously abuse them on track lap after lap with no fade. Someone even went as far as using DS3000's (they need the be warmed up to temp though) which are apparently the utter nuts but create a funny residue that rots the ali in wheels, so you need to be religious in keeping them clean.

Adam L
17-06-2010, 20:54
Anyway, we've made this a Jap thread, Bill:laugh:

Back to Renault's.

The new Bill J
17-06-2010, 20:58
Anyway, we've made this a Jap thread, Bill:laugh:

Not really, as they're aftermarket brake kits, that can be fitted to lots of different cars ;) :ashamed:

Mudslinger
17-06-2010, 21:13
never had any issues with the hi-specs ive got , so much better at stopping in my opinion , and im just using a standard set of volvo pads from local parts place .
not been on track but on the road they have been awesome tbh braking hard from over 100 mph is no issue and gives me alot more confidence

maybe the set your m8 had Mart were badly fitted ??:cooter: surprised though that you slate them so much when you have never had them on a car of your own :scratch:

Adam L
17-06-2010, 21:14
Not really, as they're aftermarket brake kits, that can be fitted to lots of different cars ;) :ashamed:

Ok, fair point. I know the K Sports are fitted to Evo's, 200's, Skyline'ss, 300zx's, 350z's, Impreza's...

They probably would do a kit for a Renault if you had at least 17's and a good order for the small PCD:D

Adam L
17-06-2010, 21:16
never had any issues with the hi-specs ive got , so much better at stopping in my opinion , and im just using a standard set of volvo pads from local parts place .
not been on track but on the road they have been awesome tbh braking hard from over 100 mph is no issue and gives me alot more confidence

maybe the set your m8 had Mart were badly fitted ??:cooter: surprised though that you slate them so much when you have never had them on a car of your own :scratch:

I have, however they were on a car 400kg's heavier than a 5. That was the 4 pot kit with 310mm discs and they were terrible. The standard brakes on my 200sx were better.

olidaviesuk
17-06-2010, 21:26
Just thought I'd chuck my experiences in, as may prove useful. As mart says, nothing much wrong with the stock setup on the 5, it's not a particularly heavy car, doubt most track spec cars will weight in at more than 850kg so gonna take less mechanical effort to stop than something bigger weighing more. Have used the ebc greenstuff and redstuff - green is utter sh*te no pedal feel, red is better, but nothing comes close to the mintex 1155's and know the Ferado 2500's are really rated as well (like Mart I give my brakes a real hard time, but never had any probs) the 1155's can certainly be got for under £80 in standard fitment, not sure if it has been mentioned, but with the right master cylinder combo in conjunction with multi pot calipers will give you better pedal feel...

Adam L
17-06-2010, 21:31
Mintex do good pads, I used 1144's, which were better. Not sure if you can still get them to be honest.

Mart
17-06-2010, 22:22

I fitted them, and if you read all of what I posted before, you'd have seen that they were found to be leaking from one of the pistons, hence a manufacturing error/defect :rolleyes:

If you check where Hi-Spec are based, and where I used to live for 30 odd years, it might register that I also know a bit more about Hi-Spec than what I'm posting on here.

If the setup works for you, fair enough, but I like to make people aware of inferior quality from my experience of a given product.

Woznaldo
17-06-2010, 22:56
Ok, fair point. I know the K Sports are fitted to Evo's, 200's, Skyline'ss, 300zx's, 350z's, Impreza's...

They probably would do a kit for a Renault if you had at least 17's and a good order for the small PCD:D

K-Sport do make a kit for the Super R5 as I got a quote from them for $2200 for their 4 Pot 286mm 2piece disc set up.

olidaviesuk
17-06-2010, 23:00
Heard more than a few horror stories about their early stuff myself, back when I used to work for a popular car magazine...., most of it due to inadequate dust seals and piston seal leakage, mind you that was almost ten years ago now, having had a set of their billet 4's on my old pulsar they seemed okay, some of the more race and kit car oriented stuff seems to be earning a decent rep in the last few years, however, I doubt I'd put anything other than ap, willwood or brembo on the cup given the choice....

Last time I looked rally design were doing a 4pot willwood kit that would fit under 15's for around £500.

I fitted them, and if you read all of what I posted before, you'd have seen that they were found to be leaking from one of the pistons, hence a manufacturing error/defect :rolleyes:

If you check where Hi-Spec are based, and where I used to live for 30 odd years, it might register that I also know a bit more about Hi-Spec than what I'm posting on here.

If the setup works for you, fair enough, but I like to make people aware of inferior quality from my experience of a given product.

Adam L
17-06-2010, 23:12
Heard more than a few horror stories about their early stuff myself, back when I used to work for a popular car magazine...., most of it due to inadequate dust seals and piston seal leakage, mind you that was almost ten years ago now, having had a set of their billet 4's on my old pulsar they seemed okay, some of the more race and kit car oriented stuff seems to be earning a decent rep in the last few years, however, I doubt I'd put anything other than ap, willwood or brembo on the cup given the choice....

Last time I looked rally design were doing a 4pot willwood kit that would fit under 15's for around £500.

Funny you mention Pulsar, I had them on mine and thought they were **** from the start. I changed pads and bled them several times still thinking they were turd. They certainly weren't slowing me down from the rate the car was accelerating.

Mart
18-06-2010, 07:49
Heard more than a few horror stories about their early stuff myself, back when I used to work for a popular car magazine...., most of it due to inadequate dust seals and piston seal leakage, mind you that was almost ten years ago now

A quick Google search of 'Hi Spec brake quality' reveals they're still as cr8p today, it would seem.

Popular car magazine, Bromley; wouldn't be Fast Car per chance?

benj88
18-06-2010, 08:39
Iv got greenstuff pads on the 5 and I think they are crap, I was actualy going to get the Mintex I should have now, would people say they are the best oe pads? One of my mates had willwoods before and he said they were great

Mart
18-06-2010, 09:40
Mintex are good, although I found them to be a bit 'dusty'.

Pagid FTW.

olidaviesuk
18-06-2010, 10:24
You certainly paid attention in geography in school Mart :)

Had the same problem with mine Adam, they got a lot better when we disconnected the ABS on the car... not that it should have made a blind bit of difference, but strangely did..:crap:

A quick Google search of 'Hi Spec brake quality' reveals they're still as cr8p today, it would seem.

Popular car magazine, Bromley; wouldn't be Fast Car per chance?

The ABS just stops them from locking up prematurely. It seems to be the in thing to remove with larger brakes on the Jap motors. You can usually feel it kicking in when hard on the pedal. I've not removed it myself but I don't feel the need, I just want better pads.

Mart
18-06-2010, 10:29
If it was Fast Car, around that time, you must know Suzy (and Giles) then?

olidaviesuk
18-06-2010, 10:50
Yep, good mates of mine, was karting with them last weekend

If it was Fast Car, around that time, you must know Suzy (and Giles) then?

Mart
18-06-2010, 11:12
Small world! I'm good mates with them too.

In fact, thinking about, you might be the Ollie that I gave a lift from theirs a good few years back :D

olidaviesuk
18-06-2010, 11:32
Isn't it! :D more than likely, especially if you dropped me off @ a house in orpington which had about 30 cars outside of it in various states of being put back together :D

Small world! I'm good mates with them too.

In fact, thinking about, you might be the Ollie that I gave a lift from theirs a good few years back :D

DK DEVELOPMENTS
18-06-2010, 11:48
Had Hi Spec what aload of sh#t £1800 pounds of dog sh#t is what I had
once they have your money they couldn't give a sh#t the guys wife is just plane rude.

benj88
18-06-2010, 12:19
Mintex are good, although I found them to be a bit 'dusty'.

Pagid FTW.

Yeh I was told there a bit dusty that's what put me off lol

olidaviesuk
18-06-2010, 12:59
lets not turn this into a Hi-Spec bashing session gents, suffice to say they produce a product, of which there are various alternatives on the market of better quality :)

Alex
18-06-2010, 14:58
I use KTR 285mm disks with Ferodo DS2500 pads, Goodridge brake lines with fresh DOT 4 fluid. I do happen to have new callipers and master cylinder but have absolutely no fade at all on track. :)

Mudslinger
18-06-2010, 16:50
I can only say , for the money they cost which was i think £500/£600 they certainly were the cheapest option compaired to AP/wilwood set up and they certainly do the job for me and look nice ,cant see how using ap or any other 4 pot set up would make braking any better . As far as quality goes i dont have any issues .

Maybe they are like Renault/any produced cars , its just unlucky if you get a produced product that is made first thing monday morning or last thing fri afternoon.
Also considering the 5 is such a light car as mentioned previouslly by Adam maybe some of the quality issues might not affect them so much , id rather hear what peeps that actually use them on 5's think not just genreal rubbishing them when you are compairing them being used on bigger heavyier cars .

Also just to add , i did a search on google rgds Hi-spec quality and only seem to find bad reports on there 6 pots , Cant find any negative comments by peeps using 4 pots .seems the customer service sucks , never had any dealings with them direct so cant comment on that

Mart
18-06-2010, 18:02
id rather hear what peeps that actually use them on 5's think not just genreal rubbishing them when you are compairing them being used on bigger heavyier cars

Thank you.

Also just to add , i did a search on google rgds Hi-spec quality and only seem to find bad reports...

Ahh, good old Google, for those people who have trouble believing anything posted on here...

car.crash
18-06-2010, 18:48
I use KTR 285mm disks with Ferodo DS2500 pads, Goodridge brake lines with fresh DOT 4 fluid. I do happen to have new callipers and master cylinder but have absolutely no fade at all on track. :)

i just fitted the same setup myself but will be putting std sze discs back on for track.

Alex
19-06-2010, 09:12
i just fitted the same setup myself but will be putting std sze discs back on for track.

I'm likely to be going back to std discs myself at some point so I can get the 13's on :agree:

Ross
19-06-2010, 10:25

why mate?

Logg
19-06-2010, 10:47
why mate?

So he can fit 13' rims to use his track slicks at Mallory. ;)

Ross
19-06-2010, 11:02
Oh that's cool was thinking of getting the same set up so wanted to make sure it wasn't to do with the effectiveness

Alastair
19-06-2010, 12:10
I use Hi Spec 4 pots and have to say they are excellent. I have had:

STD disks + pagid - long time ago - great on the road but cooked them on track, my first ever experience of massiv fade approaching a tight bend - asshole = 50p 20p 50p 20p:laugh:

STD disks then black diamond X drill and groove with pagid, and DS2500 ( ferodos were really good and took some hammering but i kept warping disks after long stops from 100+ and i moved to 285 fairly soon.

KTR 285mm and ferodo2500 (great set up but you lose the 13" rim) and associated cheap track tyres.

Hi - Spec 4 pots and 2 different size master cylinders ( i found the standard M/C better than the bigger M/C for feel as Ollie says and have gone back to std again) These get a lot of hammer, and in the tight chicanes lots of left foot braking on full gas in 2nd, they have never missed a beat, apart from once at brands hatch, where i was bleeding the brakes at 0130 the night before and the hyd handbrake wouldnt bleed so i gave up, hence the poor brakes that day. The red stuff pads i have come with a bad reputation, and i am not entirely sure about them, I am going to be changing them soon to carbon loraine ds6 as they are nearly shot. I'll happily report back feedback.

The first set of Hi Spec calipers i had were second hand and as you say were the earlier design and leaked. £35 for Hi Spec to re-furbish them is not bad though, and only a 2 week lead time. They can also re-anodize them to make them look new. I didn't have a problem with the customer service, she was lovely on the phone and gave me 10% disount after some sweet talking.

The new design Hi Spec brake calipers are awesome, and have my full confidence. :agree:

benj88
19-06-2010, 12:21

Would you need different calipers to standard for that set up mate? How much does it come to?

James5
19-06-2010, 13:23
Would you need different calipers to standard for that set up mate? How much does it come to?

I run he ktec 285mm kit and it's standard calipers only difference is the caliper extenders bracket and the 285mm discs seems ok for my usage not had any probs and dare I say it I use greenstuff pads up front as that's what I got the kit with about 3-4 years ago now and still on those pads loads of meat left ( the 5 is a 2nd/hobby car)

Alex
19-06-2010, 14:41

No, standard callipers are fine.

benj88
19-06-2010, 16:46
I run he ktec 285mm kit and it's standard calipers only difference is the caliper extenders bracket and the 285mm discs seems ok for my usage not had any probs and dare I say it I use greenstuff pads up front as that's what I got the kit with about 3-4 years ago now and still on those pads loads of meat left ( the 5 is a 2nd/hobby car)

ideal :agree: So everything I'd need comes with the kit?