PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump noise!

paulsurrey
07-06-2010, 20:36
hi,had a new fuel pump fitted a couple of weeks ago and i could here it from outside the car and thought it seemed a bit loud,but now its got even louder?i never heard the car before as i only just got it and they fitted a new fuel pump.can anyone confirm that they are just loud fuel pumps or is there something wrong somewhere.sitting in the car with all windows shut i can really hear it whining away.thanks

raj
07-06-2010, 20:42
isnt there an auxilary pump on the gtt's?

garya
07-06-2010, 21:38
my fuel pump makes the same noise you can hear it while u are in the car.dont think its much to worry about as it aint caused me any problems that i know of.

raj
07-06-2010, 23:47
well mine doesnt make a noise, it only does when its low on fuel. other than that its silent.

garya
07-06-2010, 23:51
well mine doesnt make a noise, it only does when its low on fuel. other than that its silent.
yeah sorry forgot to mention that it only make a noise when i am using my reserve

GTphil
08-06-2010, 10:01
The bracket that the pump goes into could be loose/missing as standard it's called an anti vibration casing so that should tell you if it's not there the pump will vibrate;)

Sometimes said brakcet rots and when removing it gets damaged.

Some of the cheaper fuel pump options also vibrate or can be quite load also.

Or it could just be the reserve pump as has been mentioned. that would only happen when your low on fuel.

paulsurrey
08-06-2010, 11:49
ok,cheers il take a look over the weekend see how its held up and see if the anti vib bracket is nakered or not.thanks

SCHWARTZ
08-06-2010, 17:09
if it only makes a noise when youre low on fuel thats the auxiliary pump pumping fuel from the reserve tank. that is loud and will be heard from within the car.