PDA

View Full Version : Carb top vs Carb base

HULK
06-06-2010, 18:14
Right Im slightly confused as to which is the best place to run the carb-actuator pipe

actuator to carb top ,or actuator to carb base ????

which is best and why? does it matter?

At present my pipe is actuator- carb base but im currently fitting a in car boost controller to adjust the boost as im setting it all up myself with a digital afr gauge

now i have read on the boards/wizard that i should 't' into the act-carb pipe but it must go to carb top, as if i just 't' into present act-carb base it will get fuel/vapour in the pipe and effect the boost?? is this right? :scratch:

I have seen this pic below and it shows its t'd into the carb top, and the other carb top port has been connected to base! is it ok doing this???

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd152/007impreza/boostpipe.jpg

answers and advice would be fantastic

ps...yes i know its better adjusting the actuator rod to adjust boost and i will do that eventually but just want to make things easier for myself setting it all up hence the incar controller:)

Markey Mark (BD)
06-06-2010, 18:42
I normaly run vacumm pipe from actuator to carb top and then block off the carb base and other carb top outlet off (not link them togther).

HULK
06-06-2010, 21:25
thanks mark, anyone else??

Mart
06-06-2010, 21:35
Feed the actuator from the compressor housing.

If there isn't a blanking plug/nozzle present on the scroll, time to whip out the drill & tap.

GTphil
06-06-2010, 22:20
Out of interest, wheres the best place to get a fitting for a vac pipe to push onto?

As I also need to Take a reading from the comp housing for my FPR.;)

HULK
06-06-2010, 22:34
thanks chaps but anyone got an answer :scratch::wasntme:

Mart that went straight over my head :dearme:

James5
06-06-2010, 22:45
thanks chaps but anyone got an answer :scratch::wasntme:

Mart that went straight over my head :dearme:

Marts advice is good you need to look at your turbo compressor housing (cold side) normally on the gtt the housing has a small Allen key blanking bolt in the front of it you need to remove this and put a nice copper / metal takeoff. If this is not there and there is nothing to remove present then you will need to drill and tap. You then then can run straight from the actuator to the turbo compressor housing.

GTphil
06-06-2010, 22:49
I feed the actuator to a bleed valve, the other port off the bleed valve to the carb middle, then feed the carb base to the AEI, with a boost guage tee'd into it.

Block both the carb top nipples off, on the passenger side.

My actuator is set at 1 bar and I can bleed off to 24psi. (incar bleed valve)

I'm sure some fumes must make it into the car but I have never fell asleep whilst driving it!:wasntme:

Mart
07-06-2010, 18:31
AKA the Cup mod'.

Feeding off the comp' housing is better though...