PDA

View Full Version : gearbox

tom t
05-06-2010, 22:38
ive had an oil leak when the car is underload for a while. i thought it was engine oil originally now im leaning toward it being gearbox oil.

i had a slight leak of my turbo oil feed now thats sorted im not losing any engine oil.

when i put the car under load in say 4th gear the car sprays oil all over the engine bay and all over the bonnet, this is all over the gearbox side.

my gearbox has some sort of blue sillicone sealant i can see on it.(between twoparts of the box) it does not look original could anyone confirm this? is there any place the gearbox is prone to leak from? and could it be possible if the box was leaking to spray everywhere?

any help or ideas would be much appreciated

car.crash
05-06-2010, 22:40
is the oil black and quite thin or more golden, thick and smelly?

tom t
05-06-2010, 23:02
im pretty sure its black and in places it seems quite thin apart from where its been building up. How come? Thanks

car.crash
05-06-2010, 23:10
gear oil is more golden and thick and it stinks, engine oil is alot blacker and thinner.

tom t
05-06-2010, 23:23
yeah i dont think it stinks to be honest. And i know the smell of box oil. But im not losing any engine oil anymore. So surely it must be box oil? And the oil in the box isnt new and when ive taken old gearbox oil out before its been black.

Tony Walker
05-06-2010, 23:47
You should be able to tell if its gearbox by the smell. if its gearbox then maybe its too full? or an inner gaiter has a split?

tom t
07-06-2010, 20:35
think i might just have to drain the box oil and try it with fresh in there to see if i can tell by the colour or the smell. whats a inner gaitor? are they fixable? or would it be easier to replace the box? thanks

gimme5
07-06-2010, 21:04
gaiter is the flexy rubber from driveshaft to gearbox:agree:

trying not to lead you astray but my first car did this and it turned out to be
the breather system but this was modified on mine

tom t
07-06-2010, 22:41
kwl i see. when i originally got found the problem i thougt it was to do with the breather system. What was ures doing? And how did you solve it? Thanks

gimme5
08-06-2010, 07:27
when the car was under load say from 2nd to 4th it covered my engine bay in oil,
it turned out that the breather system which was modified on the car had a to small diameter pipes and was causing back pressure
but if you havent modified yours check every part of your system degasser pot, pipes etc etc.....

Dave Reed
08-06-2010, 11:24
You might want to make sure your dip stick is fully in... They tend to 'pop up' if the seal is old and warn.. Try a little electrical tape round it as a temp fix etc.