PDA

View Full Version : Car Crash :S. Advice??

Sol
03-06-2010, 19:27
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hey guys,

Just a quick one, I didnt know where to post this so sorry in advance. :rolleyes:

I just had a light car crash about 2 hrs ago, I was driving down a main road where I live which the road goes past a left hand junction if you wanted to turn into a Blockbusters car park etc....

I was driving on this main road (doing 40mph) and from the left a chap pulled out into the road, I hence dropped anchor and tried to stop, but I ended up scrapping the bumper and ripping this number plate of this RX8 off.
My car's bumper, grill, fog lights etc all flew off and my passenger side wing
had slightly buckled. (Nothing major really though) Maybe £250 worth of damage.

He tell's me I was indicating into this junction when, I infact had no need to and he blames me entirely,(his car is a week old blah blah) etc. I seriously dont think I would loose if we come to blow's with insurance claims but whats your opinion on this?

He pulled out the junction into the main road which obviously then I tried to avoid
and turned away but clipped his car.... He came out onto a main road right? Hence at fault? :crap:

Need to get an idea if I should fight him really or just suggest for us to both call it even and repair the damage ourselves???

Cheers chaps,
Luke :)
(Know its tricky to image the situation).

Penfold aka The Dealer
03-06-2010, 19:34
Sol,

What was the speed limit of this road?? If its a 30mph edit your post ;-)

As for the claim, even if your indicating, dont mean he has the right just to pull out... he pulled out on you, simple!!

People are always advised never to accept fault when dealing with a claim, I personally would go through your insurance and get them to fight it (may take a while tho), are you TPTF or fully comp? do you have legal?? Are you injured as a result of this accident?

How much is your excess? What damage has been done to his car... a new bumper for his car will be stupidly expensive so i doubt he will want to pay for that himself..

Scoff
03-06-2010, 19:37
As penfold says, sure, you indicating or not has nothing to do with it ! Indicators are just that, an indictation, not a guarantee that you're about to manouver. He should have excersised caution and waited for you to start turning or atleast slow. His fault for sure, speak to your insurance at the earliest opertunity :)

TrixNFlix
03-06-2010, 19:41
As scoff says sol fight it, hes in the wrong.:agree:

garya
03-06-2010, 20:01
NEVER trust a indecator:D

dangerous dave
03-06-2010, 20:26
i live on a road off a sweeping roundabout, alot of the time cars are indicating on the first left but going straight ahead.. no one pulls out until you slow right down and turn, its just not worth the risk..

its his fault..:agree:

GTphil
03-06-2010, 20:29
Yep! 100% You should never pull out into the road unless your 110% sure the driver with the signal on is going to turn into the junction;) I.E he starts to turn in :)

As penfold says just check the speed limit on the road;) even take some pictures of the junction, layout ect.

If he decides to carry on fighting the claim then it could take up to a year or so to sort out, and if you insurance renewl is inbetween that time then expect your premium to rise untill the claim is settled then the insurance company will re-ajust it for you.

I had a similar incident with my old next door neighbour that took around 9 months to sort out, I ended up winning on the count that she was reversing. long story!:wasntme:

Sol
03-06-2010, 22:40

Ok guys,

Thanks alot for the replies, going to speak to the guy tomorrow and lay down the law a bit then. I had though I was ok and talking to the insurance company just to inform them earlier they said I couldnt be at fault given the circumstances.
I'll give him the chance to pay me personally, say £300 or something before involving insurance anyway. :)

The speed limit was 40mph im sure hehe, thanks penfold ;).

I'm fully comp, and have legal cover on my policy. Am curious though as i've had a chargecooler put on within the couple of weeks and hadnt informed insurance as yet (def will after this blows over), but I only think insurance companies check the specific vehicles unless you write them off etc do they? (Not just big scrapes etc).

I imagine his bumper will cost a pretty penny so yeah can see this going through insurance anyway. His car's only a week old too, funnily enough aswell it was struggling to start after the bump, trusty R5 fired up fine tho ;). Even if sustaining the most damage hehe. Dont build em like the used too ;) Ha.... :)

Again,
Thanks guys!
Opinions greatly appreciated.

Sol :)

Penfold aka The Dealer
04-06-2010, 06:04

Ok guys,

Thanks alot for the replies, going to speak to the guy tomorrow and lay down the law a bit then. I had though I was ok and talking to the insurance company just to inform them earlier they said I couldnt be at fault given the circumstances.
I'll give him the chance to pay me personally, say £300 or something before involving insurance anyway. :)

The speed limit was 40mph im sure hehe, thanks penfold ;).

I'm fully comp, and have legal cover on my policy. Am curious though as i've had a chargecooler put on within the couple of weeks and hadnt informed insurance as yet (def will after this blows over), but I only think insurance companies check the specific vehicles unless you write them off etc do they? (Not just big scrapes etc).

I imagine his bumper will cost a pretty penny so yeah can see this going through insurance anyway. His car's only a week old too, funnily enough aswell it was struggling to start after the bump, trusty R5 fired up fine tho ;). Even if sustaining the most damage hehe. Dont build em like the used too ;) Ha.... :)

Again,
Thanks guys!
Opinions greatly appreciated.

Sol :)

Sol,

Why not fit the old intercooler back on for now before your insurance company get a chance to look at it??

djinuk
04-06-2010, 06:52
to be fair i wouldnt speak to him about it, and dont argue the toss, let it go through insurance as chances are his story will change if you mention to him about indicating being just that.. Id give him one call if you were simply saying, i will accept £300 for the damages today, or i will put it through insurance.. dont argue points and whos to blame etc

philg
04-06-2010, 08:28
like mentioned, indicators mean nothing, i heard of a guy on a bike who got knocked off, same scenario, only after coming out of a bend on a bike your indicators don't self cancel you have to do it manually, he had forgot or not canceled properly, the car was still to blame.

D4WNO
04-06-2010, 11:43
As above.

One thing though, I wouldn't give him a figure of £300 if you wanna deal with him directly. What if something else is damaged that you haven't noticed? Get it down a garage and get a proper quote first, you might be totally under-cutting yourself.

Sol
04-06-2010, 14:32

Right.

Well I had given the chap the option of £300 outside the insurance but he is adamant its my fault still. Somehow.... ?

So its going to go through now.
We shall see how it unfolds, one feature I hadnt realised to mention to insurers is that the alloys arent standard, they are really really crap crap and worth sod all so I didnt even think in the convo to the insurance. Bigger turbo etc etc is though.

Only thing im really worried about now.
Will pop an update after it gets sorted for those that are maybe interested :P.

Thanks everyone for the advice/opinions.
Luke :)

GTphil
04-06-2010, 18:09
On gods green earth, it really pisses me off some peoples inability to admit they are/were wrong! :mad::tuttut:

Unless he is a total retard and doesn't know he was in the wrong then why not just admit to being at fault? It would speed the whole process up!

Still when you do finally win you can give him a big:upyours2:

The thought of this topic reminds me of the incident I had with my neighbour and the red mist starts to decend! (can you tell?:laugh:)