PDA

View Full Version : Gym

Smokey
03-06-2010, 14:48
Anyone on here use the gym regularly, looking for abit of advice really.
I started two days ago with a mate whos been going a while and day three and im in no fit state to go, my muscles are aching and need repairing. Looking on the net that is normal because i have torn my muscle, how long to leave it before i go again, the net says 48hours.

Any advise would be great on the topic.

Thanks Mat

Brigsy
03-06-2010, 15:00
Sounds like you have overdone it, give it a couple of days before training again. I personally train then rest a day, i.e mon/wed/fri.

benj88
03-06-2010, 15:21
Get some good protien mate, speeds up the muscle repair, it's always worse when you start training

Smokey
03-06-2010, 15:31
well since yesterday iv add to protein shakes, and today eggs for breakfast, pasta for diner and iv got rice and chicken later on, time for another shake i think.

Im in agony i keep laughing to my self cus im struggling to do the simplest of tasks, like drive the 5.lol.

Thanks for the advice chaps anymore info on training would be great.

Mat

Ross
03-06-2010, 15:32
I'm guessing your meaning weight training? 7 days recovery mate for each body part i.e. if you trained chest and tri's Monday don't train them again till following Monday you can go train another body part say on weds like back and bi's. Hope that makes sense

LampsR5
03-06-2010, 16:22
perfectly normal providing you didnt go crazy on the weight as you go more often your body will become used to it, thats when you start to up your weights/reps depending on what your after. i need to start going again myself :)

having 48 hours rest is better once you have been going for a few months, its best to wait until you feel you can work that muscle group again before you decide to train them again. just dont over do it because you can be out for ages. Oh btw if your doing abs we tend to do them every session because they are the fastest repairing muscle group.

all the best :agree:

m5tt
03-06-2010, 18:45
You need to fuel the body correctly protein shakes are good but you need to ideally look at consuming 2 litres of water a day this will prevent de-hydration and provide your muscles/body with good fuel and also help your body with recovery

Eating Bananas is very good , consume one around 15-20 minutes before training these contain a really good level of natural energy , :agree:

It really is dependant on wether your aiming to get fit or get massive , there is so many things you can do to increase muscle

Press ups - heaves 'chin ups' - sit ups - bench presses - swimming is a great way of getting fit and also increasing stamina

try to run on natural ground rather than tredmills , firstly it does most of it for you , and seconedly gets a bit boring ,

set your self goals! just because harry lifts 3000000 kg weight doesnt mean you have to compete , start at 5 and do a million if you can comftabaly then the following week do 10 kg etc etc

stick to it give it time and within 2-3 months you will really start to feel the benefits

Rest days are vital depending on where your going or how far you going with your GYM work look at doing 3 days a week for now then move into a 5 days routine then use the weekend as a bit of R/R
It takes weeks to get fit and build muscle but only days to loose it ! Good luck matey

PS.. muscle strain allow a week for reco, then into light sessions , :agree:

LampsR5
03-06-2010, 19:46
You need to fuel the body correctly protein shakes are good but you need to ideally look at consuming 2 litres of water a day this will prevent de-hydration and provide your muscles/body with good fuel and also help your body with recovery

Eating Bananas is very good , consume one around 15-20 minutes before training these contain a really good level of natural energy , :agree:

It really is dependant on wether your aiming to get fit or get massive , there is so many things you can do to increase muscle

Press ups - heaves 'chin ups' - sit ups - bench presses - swimming is a great way of getting fit and also increasing stamina

try to run on natural ground rather than tredmills , firstly it does most of it for you , and seconedly gets a bit boring ,

set your self goals! just because harry lifts 3000000 kg weight doesnt mean you have to compete , start at 5 and do a million if you can comftabaly then the following week do 10 kg etc etc

stick to it give it time and within 2-3 months you will really start to feel the benefits

Rest days are vital depending on where your going or how far you going with your GYM work look at doing 3 days a week for now then move into a 5 days routine then use the weekend as a bit of R/R
It takes weeks to get fit and build muscle but only days to loose it ! Good luck matey

PS.. muscle strain allow a week for reco, then into light sessions , :agree:

:agree::agree:

Smokey
03-06-2010, 21:16
Thanks for the comments guys.:agree:

jimmy_b
03-06-2010, 22:05
i tend to go mon/wed/fri and work different muscle groups each day.

mon - chest and biceps and abs
wed - back and tricepts and abs
fri - legs and shoulders and abs

then cardio if i go on a tues n thurs

HULK
03-06-2010, 23:13
this is my routine

monday- back/traps
tuesday-shoulders/triceps
wednesday- guns
thursday-legs
friday-chest

dont pi55 about wasting your time doing cardio at the gym, you should be doing enough cardio with the wife/girlfriend every night, thats what their there for! :smokin:

Adam L
03-06-2010, 23:53
I used to go 5 days a week and it only took 3 months to get pretty big. I never used protein shakes, just what my body had to offer.

I'll always say cardio is good, I never liked running so I rode a bike alot, not only in the gym though.

You'll know if you're pushing yourself too hard.

I didn't go to the gym for a while and went recently. I was lifting less than half what I used to on multiple reps:laugh:

You'll lose muscle far quicker than you gain it, which is pretty gay.

5alldaway
04-06-2010, 00:02
i go gym 6-7 days a week and only concentrate on the cardio

i wanted to lose weight but didnt have any guidance on anything so i was doing cardio work as well as pumping very heavy weights, then i realised i was actually gaining weight through building muscle so i stopped that and just concentrated on running and cycling

i would say just dont do too much for now and just gradually build up what your doing

Matt Cole
04-06-2010, 13:14
Ive been known to partake in the gym although since uni and babies i have stopped temporarily. I have been training nigh on 14 years, trained with several of Britains strongmen competitors and done the odd show etc. The bones aren't in the best fettle after years of pounding away, but will continue untill im at least 60!!

Going to start back next week which will be very unplesant especially if training with the old boys.:crap:

ROB C2GTT
04-06-2010, 13:46
Im on my first week back after 2years off with shoulder injury. Dont go staright in for heavy weights, it doesnt matter whats on the bar etc just consentrate on lifting correctly. Youll build the weight up as you go but dont rush. Your better off getting into it slowly than giving up quickly with injury. If ya training to get big then food is important! eat 5-6 times a day and ya want atleast 1g of protein per pound of body weight a day, aim for about 200g or carbs a day if ya building up. You may need to increase to 1.5-2g of protein but youll need to experiment to see what suits you. Any excess will go to fat but once bulked up you can then go low carbs to trim up. Good luck with it youll soon be hooked! Protein shakes are good but proper food is always better really. get a protein shake in ya straight after traing along with fast digesting carbs. Cheap protein powders are sometimes a waist and you be just as good with 2 eggs, non fat milk and non fat powdered milk.

ROB C2GTT
04-06-2010, 13:47
one other thing always warm up first! rowing machine for 5 mins is good.

UnstableCable
04-06-2010, 15:29
You'll lose muscle far quicker than you gain it, which is pretty gay.[/QUOTE]

yeah thats true, i spent ages building myself up to just under 15st then had to stop for 6 weeks for a op. And lost 2 stone!

ROB C2GTT
04-06-2010, 20:49
You'll lose muscle far quicker than you gain it, which is pretty gay.

yeah thats true, i spent ages building myself up to just under 15st then had to stop for 6 weeks for a op. And lost 2 stone![/quote]

:eek: 2 stone in 6 weeks! bloody hell ive been off 2 years and gone from 220lb to 206lb so only a stone.

Smokey
04-06-2010, 21:20
Thanks again for all the comments. I jumped straight in at the deep end and pritty much done what my mate done and im still in pain now, i can barely lift my arms above shoulder height.

Gona start again fresh monday if im all fixed and the muscles are better, taking into accout everyones comments and try not to injur myself again.lol

Is it a definate no no then to train more than one or two body parts each time, even if its relatively light and there is atleast a days rest in between.

I ask because a couple of my mates go daily and use pritty much every machine and they have only been going three weeks but you can already see the difference. They dont over due but there still using them all with only a days rest.

Is it really that bad of a thing to do.

Thanks

sphinX
04-06-2010, 21:53
I have been told a lot of mixed responses to that question Mat....some people I know go to the gym and train everything every time and will go say 2-3 times a week as it is apparently "fact" that you will grow 30% quicker (don't shoot me down if this is wrong I never looked into it)

Others say to train pairs 3 times a week...

If you think about it in one instance you are training a muscle 3 times a week, in the other you are training once a week...so with the right supplements and depending how well your body recovers would it not make sence to train everything 3 times a week?

For the record I train pairs atm but I am going to do 6 weeks of training everything 3 times a week and see how I feel/look in that period. At the moment though I am happy with my progress in the 15 weeks I have been training properly again.. I am now a stone and a half heavier than what I was so that's good imo :agree:

5alldaway
05-06-2010, 00:27
this is my routine

monday- back/traps
tuesday-shoulders/triceps
wednesday- guns
thursday-legs
friday-chest

dont pi55 about wasting your time doing cardio at the gym, you should be doing enough cardio with the wife/girlfriend every night, thats what their there for! :smokin:

its all about the cardio, you will probly live longer too :D

gttjames
06-06-2010, 20:08
Anyone on here use the gym regularly, looking for abit of advice really.
I started two days ago with a mate whos been going a while and day three and im in no fit state to go, my muscles are aching and need repairing. Looking on the net that is normal because i have torn my muscle, how long to leave it before i go again, the net says 48hours.

Any advise would be great on the topic.

Thanks Mat

1st few months yourl be hurting mate. And after a good session you should feel 'tender' not hurt so bad you cant move.

When starting out dont push it to much, get to grips with it and work on technique.

Remember rest is just as important, i have a split routine in which at most il work a muscle and have 3 days recovery for it.

And its alot to do with diet, results will be maximised with a high protein diet

wrightygtt
06-06-2010, 20:57
It all depends what your aiming for at the gym,, personally imo your better off doing a martial art because you work pretty much every muscle in your body, sweat your knackers off, plus from my own point of view find it easier to stay motivated twice a week doing that with other people, than trudging up the gym waiting for fcuk knows how long for some muppet to vacate the weight machine, while he works his guns prior to going out on a friday night. The rowing machine is awesome though.:smokin:

LampsR5
07-06-2010, 11:26
swimming is the best cardio workout i think, ive started this week doing chest and triceps (as most of the time when you lift chest you work triceps anyway) been running for the past three days and by god its so boring!!, gnna get me a bike i think and try to mix it up a bit more. alongside swimming

djinuk
07-06-2010, 12:05
I used to rock out at the gym but i just cudnt keep motivated and cudnt help but look around at the bunch of nobs all working away to keep there guns pumped up and then leaving wearing t-shirts far to small for them..

Instead i brought a single speed dirt jump bike, i travel about 2 miles each day to a set of jumps, spend 30 mins on the jumps , pumping leg muscles, arm muscles and occasionly coming off.

All in all much bettter than the gym , more exciting, no meat heads.

newbstar*
07-06-2010, 12:09
First of all work out what you want out of it! In this, i mean train for strength, cardio or body building as requirements are different.

benj88
07-06-2010, 12:30
Yeeeah buddy ain't nothing but a peanut!

HULK
07-06-2010, 13:00
its all about the cardio, you will probly live longer too :D

I prefer just to be massive with muscle than skinny and a health freak

J$£5GTT
07-06-2010, 20:42

:laugh:

wrightygtt
07-06-2010, 21:21
skinny, pah, i call it wirey:laugh:. Nah, fair play to those that do get big, must take some serious dedication:agree:

5alldaway
08-06-2010, 00:22

i aint skinny infact i look built and i eat probly more junk than you :D

old skool turbo power
08-06-2010, 00:22
Cheap protein powders are sometimes a waist.

they just taste like sh-*t aswell :agree:bit of a con imo

5alldaway
08-06-2010, 00:26
they just taste like sh-*t aswell :agree:bit of a con imo

have you tasted sheet to know what it tastes like? :eek::)

old skool turbo power
08-06-2010, 22:04
have you tasted sheet to know what it tastes like? :eek::)

:laugh:no but cheap vodca is prob close to it :wasntme:

tonesGTT
09-06-2010, 12:07
Sounds like you have overdone it, give it a couple of days before training again. I personally train then rest a day, i.e mon/wed/fri.

I started about 2 months ago and do as Brigsy. Your bound to feel it to start with anyway but it'll soon pass. No pain, no gain...