PDA

View Full Version : Oil Sandwich plate fixing

J8TRO
31-05-2010, 18:06
Just been round to NayJ's as hes trying to fit his separate oil cooler and it would seam he's either a part missing or we cant see the blindingly obvious.

Can anyone who's fitted one please advise?

In the first photo it shows the old oil plate and fixing hollow bolt and next to it the new sandwich plate and hollow bolt. 2nd photo is an up close of both bolts.

The problem is the block is threaded to take the bolt but the new one supplied with the sandwich plate is also threaded. Only thing we can think to resolve is using a hollow piece of all thread to make up the connection or having a whole new hollow bolt made to suit the new sandwich plate. The old bolt doesn't fit as its too small diameter to fit the sandwich plate.

Any ideas? Thanks

jesus in the seat of a 5
31-05-2010, 18:15
Ahh now ole jesus had this problem....a lot of the time , mocal etc etc send out the kit with the wrong M THREAD SIZE FITTING , ring them up and ask, ill see if i can find the packet mine came in after i rang them and check exactly what the code was...err hope that helps a little....your not going mad, indeed i thought i was....:laugh:.

aSK TO SPEAK TO JEFF, TEL +44 {0}2085681172. , I THINK THE PRODUCT CODE WAS mmis-95-95., sorry about the flimmin caps..:laugh:

J8TRO
31-05-2010, 18:53
Ahh now ole jesus had this problem....a lot of the time , mocal etc etc send out the kit with the wrong M THREAD SIZE FITTING , ring them up and ask, ill see if i can find the packet mine came in after i rang them and check exactly what the code was...err hope that helps a little....your not going mad, indeed i thought i was....:laugh:.

aSK TO SPEAK TO JEFF, TEL +44 {0}2085681172. , I THINK THE PRODUCT CODE WAS mmis-95-95., sorry about the flimmin caps..:laugh:

Thanks buddy ;)

NayJ
01-06-2010, 00:20
thanks guys ill give them a call ;)

NayJ
01-06-2010, 16:14
just out of intrest, when i finally get to fit the sandwich plate do the oil lines have to face upward vertically like on the oe pipes or can it be turned 90 degrees so they face right horizontally? :confused:

and do the lines on the cooler have to be top side or bottom? :confused:

SCHWARTZ
01-06-2010, 19:28
dont think it should matter as its under pressure.

NayJ
01-06-2010, 23:16
well called them, jeff couldnt come to phone so they said they would call back, that was at 3! lol :sad2::rolleyes:

NayJ
03-06-2010, 22:29
parts came today, havin problems fitting it now,

basically the sandwich plate has the thermostat on the bottom left side, which stops it been fitted straight as the bracket underneath the sandwich plate gets in the way.
but when i turn it a few degrees to the right the engine block where the distributor cap fits onto stops the braided lines from being fitted.

can anyone shed some light on this cus ive spent the whole night tryin to fit it with no joy, thanks

James5
03-06-2010, 22:34
parts came today, havin problems fitting it now,

basically the sandwich plate has the thermostat on the bottom left side, which stops it been fitted straight as the bracket underneath the sandwich plate gets in the way.
but when i turn it a few degrees to the right the engine block where the distributor cap fits onto stops the braided lines from being fitted.

can anyone shed some light on this cus ive spent the whole night tryin to fit it with no joy, thanks

You need to cut / angle grind a small section of the metal engine bracket to give clearance for the sandwhich plate stat

mlb123
03-06-2010, 22:34
any pics of it in place mate? i had a problem like this on my 5 when fitting an aftermarket oil cooler with giant fixings, i had to cut a bit of the corner at the bottom part of the dizzy area, on the block i think, sounds dodgy but didnt affect anything.

think its the same as james5 has done :)

NayJ
03-06-2010, 23:33
You need to cut / angle grind a small section of the metal engine bracket to give clearance for the sandwhich plate stat

cut a piece out of the bracket. is that the bracket under the sandwich plate your on about?

NayJ
03-06-2010, 23:34
any pics of it in place mate? i had a problem like this on my 5 when fitting an aftermarket oil cooler with giant fixings, i had to cut a bit of the corner at the bottom part of the dizzy area, on the block i think, sounds dodgy but didnt affect anything.

think its the same as james5 has done :)

ill get some pics taken tomoz in the light

Kris M
03-06-2010, 23:38
No, its the metal triangular (ish:D) part of the O/S engine mount that you need to trim away, its the part of the mount that bolts to the front of the block itself :)

NayJ
03-06-2010, 23:49
No, its the metal triangular (ish:D) part of the O/S engine mount that you need to trim away, its the part of the mount that bolts to the front of the block itself :)

get ya!:) will i have to take it off to trim it or can i do it in situe, will a dremel do it or file or sumat??

James5
04-06-2010, 08:34
:agree:

get ya!:) will i have to take it off to trim it or can i do it in situe, will a dremel do it or file or sumat??

To be honest matey it's prob easier to take it off and attack it with and angle grinder, you will need to remove about 1" x 1" of metal in a L shape so cut down then cut across to give you the L shape to allow fitment of the sandwhich plate. Don't worry your not the only one has had to do this.