PDA

View Full Version : Braking issues

TrixNFlix
31-05-2010, 14:00
Right while traveling in the gtt a few weeks ago, I lost all breaking assistance.Thought it would be the one way valve on the back of the inlet to the servo, as the idle fluctuated slightly when the brakes were pressed. Changed this yesterday for another one and nothings changed. When you press the brake on idle afrs jump from 13.9 to 18 and above. If you press the brake pedal on and off realy fast then a bit of assistance feels like it's coming back, but only for a second.Does the servo diaphram sound knackered? Any thing else I need to check? Also this has also just happened after changing the rear brake pads. Regards andy

car.crash
31-05-2010, 14:39
have you checked the rubber pipe from the manifold to the servo, there is also a one way valve in the servo so either blow or suck down the pipe and see what happens.

Brigsy
31-05-2010, 15:09
If you have no brake power at all the mastercylinder might have gone mate, that could relate to the fault after changing the pads?

If brakes work but pedal very hard the servo probably at fault, check the pipe to it as carcrash said:)

TrixNFlix
31-05-2010, 15:42
Thanks guys will inspect the pipe and other one way valve.:agree:
Brigsy surely it can't be the master cylinder can it as that wouldnt affect the afr's would it? Braking is the there, but is just dependant on how much force you can put on the brake pedal. 15miles of driving like this was enough to scare me. :crap:

Brigsy
31-05-2010, 15:47
Sounds like its servo related then matey, lean afrs indicate a leak! i thought you meant you had no brakes at all to begin with.

jesus in the seat of a 5
31-05-2010, 17:56
andy , i had the very same issues buddy , it was indeed my servo, im gonna lean towards it being yours...:(, still easy to fit...:)

GTphil
31-05-2010, 19:30
As long as your bleed nipples are all good:scared:

I changed my mastercylinder and servo a few weeks back and the fitting of them was easy peasy, then whilst trying to bleed the brakes snap and snap and they were only replaced a few years ago too:crap: I was in a rush and ended up with buying two replacement calipers then mullered a handbrake cable removing one of the old ones turned a straight forward job into a compleat ****about!:mad:

It may well not even be the servo but if all associated parts are working then that leaves not much else:(

raj
31-05-2010, 20:20
out of interest, how much are new servos? also part no#..

just wondering do any other vehicles share the same servo as the gtt?

GTphil
31-05-2010, 20:33
I'm pretty sure the servo is a renualt only item:crap:

I sourced mine through mike (GT turbo spares) bran new and it had to come from france I paid around the 200/220 mark for it, (can't remember exactly) as always renault have put up the prices!

So pants down time I'm affraid unless you can source a second hand fairly new one:)

raj
31-05-2010, 20:36
are servos not reconditionable?

GTphil
31-05-2010, 21:15
According to the haynes manual no, but then re-fitting is the
"reverse" of removle!:laugh:

I'm sure it can be done but how or at what cost I don't know:confused:

Brigsy
31-05-2010, 23:57
Im sure the part numbers say the gtt servo is different to the campus etc, it costs a fair whack more new. I use the bog standard derv servo on the van with no problems though so it makes you wonder:confused: