PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Surge??

andyrg
30-05-2010, 22:36
Oh man, Issues.

I have a issue when on boost, between 2800 and 3400 the car surges ( fluttering of the turbo and no power then it leaps to life again, happened when i an loading the car up

Can any one help?

D4WNO
30-05-2010, 23:34
What turbo are you using?

SP33DY
30-05-2010, 23:39
It's the stock meg 225 one, not sure of the model name think it's a tdo4?

D4WNO
30-05-2010, 23:47
I think what you're experiencing then is not "surging". Surging happens with the accelerator is to the floor and usually occurs if the turbo is far too large for the car, so wouldn't happen on a standard turbo.

If a turbo is so large that it draws in too much air for the engine to digest, it basically spits it back out, hence the surging. If it is genuine surging happening though, you have serious problems.

SP33DY
31-05-2010, 00:01
It's not something I've experienced, but I went for a blast with Andy earlier on and when he was accelerating from low RPM on wide open throttle it was really struggling to pull cleanly through the 2500-3500rpm range. He believes it's surge and I just watched a few vids on youtube and the sound is identical, however after doing some research everthing regarding surge is as you said Dawn, a trait when using an oversize turbo.

Any other ideas on what could be giving a similar symptom to surge?

RoboEK
31-05-2010, 00:13
Are there any modirications to the engine? in particular a atmospheric "dump valve" ?

Scoff
31-05-2010, 00:37
I don't think andy means compressor surge, I think he just used the word descriptively.

Are you sure it isn't a misfire andy ? What is the boost gauge doing at the time ?

Compressor surge will sound like a flutter, it won't cause a drop in power. If the boost gauge is registering boost but the engine is not pulling then there's a misfire, poor fueling or poor ignition timing at that point. If boost is dropping off then maybe there's something odd hapening with the wastegate control. Have you tried swapping the boost controller for a bleed valve to see if the problem goes away ?

Slim
31-05-2010, 00:45
I think what you're experiencing then is not "surging". Surging happens with the accelerator is to the floor and usually occurs if the turbo is far too large for the car, so wouldn't happen on a standard turbo.

If a turbo is so large that it draws in too much air for the engine to digest, it basically spits it back out, hence the surging. If it is genuine surging happening though, you have serious problems.
Are you a girl?? :P

anyways... regarding the original post... how old are your spark plugs??

Scoff
31-05-2010, 00:47
:crap:

dave j gtt
31-05-2010, 10:22
Are you a girl?? :P

anyways... regarding the original post... how old are your spark plugs??

No i think Dawn's all grown up mate. She is a helpful lady :P

back to topic.....

andyrg
31-05-2010, 22:09
im going to investage this tommorrow, chaneg the plugs that are only a few weeks old, but had some abuse, they look clean,

Im quite sure its not a missfire.

Ill do a video post it up, the boost fluctuates very small on the avcr screen, and i have the oem DV not a BOV