PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation

BriC
30-05-2010, 18:09
Hi,

I'm selling a Renault 5 GT Turbo (not my blue one.. the black one that I put on the classifieds recently), however I've recently noticed it seems to have an issue with fueling - I think it's running rich (I've never actually driven it on the road as it's not road legal.. I picked it up on a trailer)

So it starts and idles fine but smells a bit rich (to be expected with a GT Turbo), and it revs fine if you press the throttle smoothly, however if you really floor the throttle from tickover, it hesitates and then revs, as if it's overfueling. This is stationary, whilst the engine is under no load, so I wouldn't think it's anything to do with it overfueling on boost...

Also, when you do rev it hard, it spews out black smoke, which is a bi-product of running rich

Does anything spring to mind? Anything I should check / clean?

Sparkie
30-05-2010, 18:23
accelerator pump jet.

try revving with the carb top off. - see if its squirting correctly!

Brigsy
30-05-2010, 18:24
Possibly acc arm adjusted wrong, acc pump jet blocked, acc pump diaphragm shot or dodgy carb jetting.

dangerous dave
30-05-2010, 18:45
all of the above, i had the problem and i did everything but adjust the acc arm, thats where my fault must have been.. my other carb however works spot on so i fitted that..:p

Yellow
30-05-2010, 18:58
How do you go about adjusting the acc arm and how do you no it's right?

Brigsy
30-05-2010, 19:26
Stock settings - when throttle is open 6mm the acc arm should be at full throw, if carb is off open the throttle butterfly & fit a 6mm drill bit in there & adjust to suit.

A lot of the time in my experience the arm needs a slight tweak from stock to cure hesitations etc, i assume its from wear on the carb??

BriC
30-05-2010, 19:33
Cheers guys - I'll have a look at it tomorrow :)

Jimmy_GTT
31-05-2010, 08:03
Stock settings - when throttle is open 6mm the acc arm should be at full throw, if carb is off open the throttle butterfly & fit a 6mm drill bit in there & adjust to suit.

A lot of the time in my experience the arm needs a slight tweak from stock to cure hesitations etc, i assume its from wear on the carb??

As I remember a 5mm drill bit should be used! Maybe that's why you need the tweek. ;)