PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox problem (stuck in 5th)

SamBam
27-05-2010, 21:12
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi there.

I have a little problem with my gearbox and i hope someone has an answer

Somethimes it comes out of 2nd gear. It happens sometimes when i go through a roundabout.

But that aint my biggest problem...
Somethimes it's stuck in 5th gear. It mainly occurs when i drove for 20 miles on the highway (speed75-80 mph) When i get of the highway and slow down and want to change gear.

Inventualy i can get it out but then 3th and 4th gear are heavy to get in to.
After this i drive about 1mile in 5th gear at 50mph and everything is okay.

i dont get it because it doesnt happen everytime.

Hope someone can help me.

grtz, Sam
(sorry about my typing im from Holland)

trojan
27-05-2010, 21:59
Popping out of 2nd is a common fault. When it sticks this really indicates that the box is shot. Personally for the sake of 3 or 4 hours and a few quid I would change the gearbox.

SamBam
30-05-2010, 13:05

I was told that the engine mounts or pressurebearing could be the problem.
Or doesnt has this anything to do with it?

grtz,Sam

markg
30-05-2010, 14:06
Have you checked the oil in the gear box ?. Also dont forget you cannot use any old gearbox oil there is a proper specification one for the 5 GT Turbo. I cannot remember off the top of my head which it is but its in the owners handbook I believe. I am sure someone will come along soon and update the post with the correct type of oil. From you description it sounds to me like the getting stuck in gear problem could be heat related so its worth checking the oil.

Mine used to get stuck in gear but perhaps a bit more terminally than yours. When I took the black cover off the end of the gearbox part of the casing had broken away so I had to replace the box. Might be worth taking a look at if you drain the oil anyway.

Ron
30-05-2010, 14:39
Mine has been jumping out of second gear, until the other night when i couldnt get it out of gear. Unfortunately mine was terminal lots of bits fell out when I drained the oil!

I reckon the pod day finished mine off :)

trojan
30-05-2010, 14:48
Occasionally you can sort the popping out of gear, however, when it then sticks forget about it and change the box.

SamBam
03-06-2010, 16:18

Is the clutch cable a option or has this nothing to do with it.

grtz,Sam