PDA

View Full Version : moping the r5

djinuk
26-05-2010, 09:52
ok, basically i have got the r5 back from the bodyshop, the fresh paint is all mint etc, however the rest of the car could do with some tlc to the paint just to bring it up to the same kind of shine as the new.

Ive brought a multispeed mop , however im wondering what the most effective way of using it.

I was thinking , clean the full car using shampoo soap and dry it, then give the full car a quick going over with g3 cutting compound to bring up any dull paint, then should i use somthing like autoglym super resin to remove any swirls etc and wax by hand?

Also has anybody ever removed the stickers from down the sides of the car, and if so , is the paint usally good under them ?

Woznaldo
26-05-2010, 09:58
This is a question for www.detailingworld.co.uk as they love this kind of shizzle! ;)

Penfold aka The Dealer
26-05-2010, 09:58
ok, basically i have got the r5 back from the bodyshop, the fresh paint is all mint etc, however the rest of the car could do with some tlc to the paint just to bring it up to the same kind of shine as the new.

Ive brought a multispeed mop , however im wondering what the most effective way of using it.

I was thinking , clean the full car using shampoo soap and dry it, then give the full car a quick going over with g3 cutting compound to bring up any dull paint, then should i use somthing like autoglym super resin to remove any swirls etc and wax by hand?

Also has anybody ever removed the stickers from down the sides of the car, and if so , is the paint usally good under them ?

Removing the stickers??? You what?? Standard is the new modded ;)

Be carefull with moping the car as it can cause burn marks, I would of asked the body shop to have done it as they wouldnt have charged a great deal more...

djinuk
26-05-2010, 10:12
to be fair theres quite a bit of paint on there , i think ill struggle to burn through it (famous last words), regarding the stickers, the car only has the section across 1 doro on it, hence removing it, i have a set of brand spankers genuine in my room but they wont be going on until the full cars had a repaint in a year or so.

I think i may have to pop onto detailing world later on then.

Ive moped cars before but always just using random polish and id sooner get this one nice and shiny, even through its still plentyfull of dents and dints taht the crish packet door tend to attract.

Hoolio
26-05-2010, 10:42
This is a very useful thread

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

When I did J510 last summer I was using pads and polish with almost no cut to start with and kinda moved up until I was happy with the finish rather than straight in with an aggressive pad and polish.

djinuk
26-05-2010, 11:14
great link that is hoolio.. Going to puchase a couple of polishes and give the old girl a clean up.. at the moment she is completlyl covered in filler dust.

Shakes
26-05-2010, 11:36
make sure you keep your mop head wet, and be carefull around the plastics the compound can be a nightmare to get off around hard to reach places :agree:

djinuk
26-05-2010, 12:11
yea , i think ill mask any plastics up , or just remove them, also when you say keep it wet, do you mean physically put water on it along with the polish , or do you mean keep it wet with polish.

Hoolio
26-05-2010, 12:43
Yeah best to mask them up though if you do get any polish on the plastics an ordinary pencil rubber works or if it's ingrained in the texture a tiny drop of olive oil rubbed in and then off with a soft cloth works a treat.
I keep my pads moist (lovely word:laugh:) with an occasional squirt from a detailing spray or a spray bottle filled with a water/shampoo mix.

djinuk
26-05-2010, 13:32
gota keep it very moist with the occasional squirt :)..

Thanks matey.

Shakes
26-05-2010, 13:39
just put water on the mop head, you dont want it soaked but i like to keep it fairly wet.
and take your time try to wipe off any overspray from the compound as you go, or you will make twice as much work for yourself at the end :crap:
the end resault will look amazing especially if its on paint not laquer. get some pics up when your done :agree:

djinuk
26-05-2010, 14:05
thanks for the advice guys, had a read up, im going to get a set of 3 heads for it and some megs 80 and 83.

The cars filthy at the moment and requires a real real intensive wash and rinse, the bodyworks not mint, but id sooner make the best of what i have for the year, not to mention it will make it easier to spot dents for when i do tackle the bodywork.

Hoolio
26-05-2010, 14:44
and take your time try to wipe off any overspray from the compound as you go, or you will make twice as much work for yourself at the end :crap:

:laugh: That sounds a whole lot messier and fun than my detailing. What machine and pads/polish are you going for btw?

scratcher
26-05-2010, 19:22
I'm just about to start giving the Evo a good going over.

De-tared it today, and I'm going to clay it tomorrow. I'll just be using a bit of scratch remover and a hard wax like Dodo Juice Diamond White.
I'm too scared of using a machine polisher :laugh:

I like Hoolio's suggestion of just using polishing pads to start. From reading up on Detailing World it seems a good clay bar session helps the process greatly by getting rid of all the bits ingrained in the paint.

This thread shows what can come of a cleaned car...
http://lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=315625

The new Bill J
26-05-2010, 19:30

:agree: :laugh:

Whenever I use mine, I hold my breath. The car's covered in scratches and swirls, but I'm too scared to try fully removing them :scared:

d6n
26-05-2010, 21:50

De-tared it today, and I'm going to clay it tomorrow. I'll just be using a bit of scratch remover and a hard wax like Dodo Juice Diamond White.

I like Hoolio's suggestion of just using polishing pads to start. From reading up on Detailing World it seems a good clay bar session helps the process greatly by getting rid of all the bits ingrained in the paint.

This thread shows what can come of a cleaned car...
http://lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=315625

i would definetly de-tar and clay the car before maching polishing.

gttjames
26-05-2010, 23:20
some of my work
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/sr50james/civicdetail010.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/sr50james/civicdetail013.jpg

Hoolio
27-05-2010, 14:28
Nice, now how/what did you use to get those results then? :)

gttjames
28-05-2010, 00:18
This was a 57 plate motor so wasnt to bad really.

Car was cleaned, de tared and clayed.

Then out came the da polisher, started trying out a few combos to see what was working and in the end used a medium cut pad, with a medium cut polish, worked it properly and used the machine correctly, did this to whole car. The went over it again with a soft pad and a heavy gloss polish to leave it looking like glass, then sealed with wax.

If you want to get into it, get onto detailing world its where i spent alot of time reading and learning. Then when you think you know the process, get a scrap panel to try correcting and get practising until your good enough to do your car. Let me warn you if you do get into detailing it will become exspensive!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/sr50james/bigger003.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/sr50james/bigger006.jpg

djinuk
28-05-2010, 07:29
some awesome result you have there..

Im looking at buying some megs 80 and megs 83, and also some duralgloss 901 shampoo as i had awesome results with that before, just wondering where is the best place to puchase the gear from, and is there any discount codes/free delivery spec stuff kicking about anywhere as im a tight ******* and its great getting things that bit cheaper. Also i want to buy a full set of sonus mop heads, cut/polish/finish.

gttjames
28-05-2010, 19:38
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/

for general washing you cant go wrong with
wash mitt
any good quality shampoo
drying towel

then if you want to go further....
claying - sonus green ultra fine detailing clay, will need some 'quick detailer' to use as lube, and also quick detailer is nice to have around

and even further...
a dual action polisher, with pads/polish and get paint correcting

then all your work needs sealing with a good quality wax, and also wheels with a wheel wax/sealent

gtmatt
28-05-2010, 20:02
james has the right id

i use a 2 bucket method with a lambs wool wash mite.

clay i use meguires clay and quick detailer.

dry using a mircofibre mqires cloth.

then i use jeffs weksett polish.

i have just started to learn using a da , i have bought a kestral das 6 to start with , still leaning:)

gttjames
28-05-2010, 20:25
yer a good wash method will keep new paint looking good and give minimal swirls.

Get onto detailingworld theres so much to be learnt on there.

This time last year all i did was wash the car with any shampoo and any sponge, and the occasinal polish, never put wax over it to seal it lol