PDA

View Full Version : Buying a carb, what to look for?

Kenobi
25-05-2010, 15:48
As per title. I need a Renault 5 Gt Turbo Carb and Im not sure what im looking for. Whats best to check? what questions should I be asking ebayers etc?

Whats a good price for a carb that works well and doesnt need anything?

is there more than one carb? How can you tell if jets are changed or if anything is modified?

All help and advice appreciated.

Spooky
25-05-2010, 15:55
I could quite possibly build you one out of the spares I have.

Maybe fuel it for 20-22psi but that would have to confirmed with a dyno or a wideband out on the road :p...

Dont pay much for a second had carb, I wouldn't ;) :D

Matt Cole
25-05-2010, 16:16
Imo mate, all second hand carbs are not withought issues/problems are complete ****. More so the latter. There made from dissimilar metals and generally are rubbish after 20 years use. Buy with caution..

Penfold aka The Dealer
25-05-2010, 16:18
I am sure members on here could sell you a working carb for a good price...or build you one as spooky said.

phase i 16 v turbo (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=380) recon's them to mint condtion and they look the nuts!

http://www.gt-turbo-spares.co.uk/cart/images/products/side3.jpg

Kenobi
25-05-2010, 16:27
Whats the cost of a refurbed one?

Penfold aka The Dealer
25-05-2010, 16:30
Have a look on the website... £150 for the basic... think you have to have an exchange unit to...

Nayls
25-05-2010, 16:32
Have a look on the website... £150 for the basic... think you have to have an exchange unit to...

:eek:

Kenobi
25-05-2010, 16:58
WTF, Thats almost 3 times the price i expected a good carb to be.

Markey Mark (BD)
25-05-2010, 17:04
WTF, Thats almost 3 times the price i expected a good carb to be.

Why when you consider you he has to buy the carb, buy a referb kit them spend the time to refurb it all to that condition.
Kenobi mate you got to remember things don't always cost pennies to do. ;)

I will by a carb in any condition as i know i will strip it and check it all over if needs be, sometimes buying it and fitting it to see how it works is an idea.

I've just bought a load of engine bits which included 2 carbs, can check them out if your interested in one.

Kenobi
25-05-2010, 17:07
Why when you consider you he has to buy the carb, buy a referb kit them spend the time to refurb it all to that condition.

I will by a carb in any condition as i know i will strip it and check it all over if needs be, sometimes buying it and fitting it to see how it works is an idea.

So how much is a none overhauled carb, then how much is a refurb kit?

Markey Mark (BD)
25-05-2010, 17:10
So how much is a none overhauled carb, then how much is a refurb kit?

I've paid around £50 for a non refurbed, working carb before, refurb kit is around the £25-£30 mark i think. Paid alot less then that for non working ones though.

Price of carbs have gone up when you look at the price they go for, ebay for example

dangerous dave
25-05-2010, 17:45
alot of carbs are drilled out etc and being useless second hand.. a good untouched second hand jobbies always near the 40-50 mark.. then a refurb kit at £20 odd out of the rtoc shop..

if your buying one unscrew the top and look inside, i've found all sorts of grit floating in there.. also look at the water pipe holes, often corroded for feck and sometimes so bad water flow with be feck all added to carb freeze in the winter.. :(

Smokey
25-05-2010, 18:13
Kenobi look in the classifieds mate someones breaking there whole car.

Mat

michael tierney
25-05-2010, 20:25
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=13842&highlight=carb
still available:)

phase i 16 v turbo
27-05-2010, 12:05

I've just bought a load of engine bits which included 2 carbs, can check them out if your interested in one.

This is true, these aren't secondhand carbs they are refurbed. You need to add up the cost of the old carb, overhaul kit, new jets x 3, mixture screw, the brackets replated and the chemicals used to clean the old carb and time.