PDA

View Full Version : failed mot today have some questions

Ross
24-05-2010, 11:10
Unfortunately the car failed its mot today but i have a few questions firstly heres the stuff it failed on

n/s/f wheel bearing - easy fix
nsf shocker leaking - easy fix
front discs and pads - esy fix

steering rack failed tester has said to me to change tie rod bars and track rod ends is this a big job? looks easy enough any tips?

handbrake not good enough- this is the main one tester said the handbrake is no way near good enough he's said it will be callipers so ive ordered some second hand ones from bob when i told him this he said they will be no good and i need new ones because they have a plastic disc in the back that ratchets round and if some teeth are stripped you wont be able to get it good enough. Is this right ive never heard anything like this before as he said you can only wind the piston one way (clockwise) if you wind it anti clockwise it will strip said teeth and you wont be able to set the handbreak properly? or is it just a case of new hadbrake cables and adjust the tensioner?

Ross
24-05-2010, 21:12
anyone?

Tony Walker
24-05-2010, 21:43
The rack ends are underneath the steering rack gaiters, cheap but can be difficult to undo, depends if it has flats on or not, if it has flats there about 30mm ish (very rough geuss, we have a spanner we made for them so dont know its size just that it works lol) If theres no flats the easiest way is with some stilsons there a conventional thread but take a bit of undoing. when you put the new one on they dont allways come with a locking mechanism so make sure u use locktite. as for your callipers its pretty difficult to say, handbrakes on 5's are useless at best anyway, if u remove the cable from the calliper make sure the handbrake arm is free and returns nicely.you could try some new pads so that the handbrake is adjusted at a different point. remember to pump pedal first before operating handbrake, and bed them in well before retesting.
Good luck

Ross
24-05-2010, 21:56
Thanks yeah I think its gonna be a job for stillsons on the rack does the rear pads and discs are only about 500 miles old. So is he right then it does have a plastict ratchet gear in the calIper? I spoke to a friend who's an MOT tester and he seemed to think they have been a little harsh on me as it will hold the car on a fairly steep incline?

Tony Walker
24-05-2010, 22:50
I've not taken one apart to be honest, we generally just replace too. will it lock them both on a loose surface? do they apply without having to pull the lever really far? should be on pretty tight within a few clicks

Ross
24-05-2010, 22:53
Yeah it would lock on a loose surface that's the only thing it takes a good 7 clicks so maybe new cables and re set them will sort it out?

5teve L
24-05-2010, 22:55
Is there no way to tighten the handbrake cables on a GTT, I can't remember as it's been ages since I worked on one... may just be it need tightening ??

Tony Walker
24-05-2010, 22:57
Yeah thats far too many. try adjusting it first, there should be an adjustment, cant remember off the top of my head, im sure someone here will, but its either under the car by where the cable enters the vehicle, or inside under/behind the lever.

Ross
24-05-2010, 23:01
Yeah I think It's under the car under the lever somewhere I'll give that a go first try get it down to about 4 clicks?

Kris M
24-05-2010, 23:03
The handbrake adjustment is just behind the handbrake lever itself....under the car, :)

Ross
24-05-2010, 23:15
Cheers for your help guys hopefully I can get this sorted pretty quick I hate having no MOT looming over me plus if I don't as of Thursday I'll be on the push bike to work and that's something I want to avoid!

HULK
24-05-2010, 23:27
little word of advice is after you have changed the track rod ends which isnt a massive job tbf, your car will drive and steer like a bag of sheeeeeeeeite, so a front laser alignment is a must!