PDA

View Full Version : Boost help ... need more :)

ranj
16-05-2010, 00:12
Here goes ....

I Have had a few problems with a gttuning boost controller as i couldnt get it to bleed more than 1 or 2 psi .... got offered a good deal on a gizzmo electronic boost controller so thought i would try setting that up and see what happens .... i would like different boost settings as unfortunaletly its not only me who needs to drive the 5 ...

Set-up the gizzmo and am still getting only a max boost difference of just over 2psi ... I have on setting 1 .... duty cycle 10 and gain 0 ... i make 13psi manifold ..... then on setting 2 i now have duty cycle 90 and gain 100 .... i make 15.3 psi manifold ....

I can get more boost by winding the actuator rod ... need a good few turns tho .... Been trying to work out why i cant bleed more air off .... I am using a garret GT28r with a 0.49/ar back end .. a T3 actuator with the strongest forge spring ....... I am begining to think i have the thing piped up wrong ( solenoid is piped up correct .. just checked) ..... so if i am trying to increase manifold boost is it ok to run the pipe to the solenoid from the carb outlet just above the vac line ?????

My setup at the moment is .... pipe from carb outlet above vac line to solenoid and then from solenoid to actuator.

Also tried a old t2 actuator i had lying about and that produced no better results .... Also tried comparing the boost from the compressor outlet with manifold and i got 4psi difference so surely there is no leak .....

Need some ideas as what to do next and check ..... Thanks.

HULK
16-05-2010, 00:19
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd152/007impreza/incarboostcontroller.jpg

ranj
16-05-2010, 00:57
I understand how that works hulk , but surely my solenoid should be able to do that ..... :)

ranj
16-05-2010, 13:16
Any ideas anyone on what i should be checking ????

Got a few hours before work to see what i can get done ...

Markey Mark (BD)
16-05-2010, 13:30
Try running the vacumm pipe from the actuator to the carb top mate and not the outlet halfway down the carb, one of the carb top outlets should have a smaller hole fit the vacumm pipe to that one.

ranj
16-05-2010, 13:40
Was thinking myself that the flow from the carb outlet maybe too much for the solenoid to bleed off .... will go and try your suggestion out now :)

Os8472
16-05-2010, 16:27
I had a gizmo and its abit of a pain to get right, first off look on the solenoid, there are 3 threaded ports but you've only got 2 brass take off's, put the 2 brass take off's in ports 2 and 3, the vacuum pipe from 2 goes to the actuator and the one from 3 goes to the bost circuit, check that first

ranj
16-05-2010, 18:00
Ok checked all that and tried marks idea and been out .... still getting only 2psi more between lowest setting and highest settings you can have ..... it was the same with the gt tuning boost controller ... so where do i go from here ???????

Dump valve lekaing maybe .... Cant hear anything tho ... maybe should blank that off and then try again .....

I Hope to be at the pod on friday so any help from anyone is more than welcome if i cant sort it out by then ...... think i will cancel my rolling road setup till i can sort this problem out ....

Goher
16-05-2010, 18:10
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi mate, I think that you need a restrictor that fits between the carb and boost controller in the actual pipe itself.

ranj
16-05-2010, 18:15
Could try that to see if i can get any more boost ....but the front port does have some kind of restrictor there as the hole is smaller than the rest on the elbow ...... will have to try tomorrow as im off to work now :(

Os8472
16-05-2010, 18:20
I'll hopefully be at pod friday, I'll bring the instructions I have from mine, I'll keep an eye for you, hopefully its summit simple

raj
16-05-2010, 19:37
out of interest, should there always be some sort of restrictor in the carb-actuator pipe? as i currently have mine running a straight through pipe with no restriction from the middle of the carb direct to the actuator!

Os8472
16-05-2010, 19:50
I never did when I had a carb but when I stepped upto a bigger turbo I had to fit one, don't one at all now I've gone efi, I guess its somit about carb fed engines

raj
16-05-2010, 19:58
I never did when I had a carb but when I stepped upto a bigger turbo I had to fit one, don't one at all now I've gone efi, I guess its somit about carb fed engines

hmm, so what effect does a restrictor have? i have a T25 tomcat unit and will be running around 18psi so im just wondering if a restrictor is needed?

Shane P
16-05-2010, 20:10
Never had one on mine. Not needed if you have a decent actuator :)

Os8472
16-05-2010, 20:14
hmm, so what effect does a restrictor have? i have a T25 tomcat unit and will be running around 18psi so im just wondering if a restrictor is needed?

It just makes the air in the vacuum line favour the route to open air instead of the route to the carb base.

You shouldn't need it with that boost controller, somit can't be set right, as I said before find me on friday and I'll take a look

raj
16-05-2010, 20:59
It just makes the air in the vacuum line favour the route to open air instead of the route to the carb base.

You shouldn't need it with that boost controller, somit can't be set right, as I said before find me on friday and I'll take a look

dont confuse me with ranj;)

Os8472
16-05-2010, 21:00
dont confuse me with ranj;)

Ah crap too late :wasntme:

ranj
17-05-2010, 00:04
Cheers os , i will keep a lookout for you ...... dont get me mixed up .....lol.... i have set of instructions with mine so will bring them too ...... i do have a lot bigger turbo now than before .. so if if was to try a restrictor ... would i put it in the pipe from the solenoid to the actuator ???

Os8472
17-05-2010, 07:50
Cheers os , i will keep a lookout for you ...... dont get me mixed up .....lol.... i have set of instructions with mine so will bring them too ...... i do have a lot bigger turbo now than before .. so if if was to try a restrictor ... would i put it in the pipe from the solenoid to the actuator ???

Nope needs to go in the other pip from the solenoid to the carb base.

Yeah sorry about that, proof that I don't pay attention

Alex
17-05-2010, 07:57
Ranj, as mentioned, try a restrictor in the carb base - to solonoid pipe. A main jet works well ;) Be careful though.....

ranj
17-05-2010, 17:51
will try it out later tonight .... see what results i get ..... will be careful :)

ranj
17-05-2010, 20:35
ok ... just been out on a run .... used a 1.7mm restrictor and put a bit more wind on the actuator .... now getting 13.7 at lowest settings and 15.9 at highest .... still only 2psi difference ! ..... will change the a/c to 1.1 from its 1.2 as lm1 was showing 12.5 at 15.9 psi .... and try a 1.0mm restrictor.

Any other things to try out ???

Goher
17-05-2010, 23:07

come on mate, use a 1.1 - 1.2 mm restrictor, the lowest boost point wont be changed, but the peak boost can be alot higher. I will be there on Friday all being well, and I'll show you. I used to make these!

ranj
17-05-2010, 23:32
ok mate .. will do .... will be nice to meet up with you :)

Goher
18-05-2010, 18:47

okay, nice one. cheers

ranj
20-05-2010, 00:17
Tried a 1.1mm restrictor today and got 13.4 min and 16.1 psi max ....... still not enough ...... i will be at the pod ... so hope someone can see my mistake and get the damn thing working ..... if someone has a even smaller restrictor .... please bring it along :)