PDA

View Full Version : strange rubbing noise?

Ross
13-05-2010, 21:20
right i fitted some new wheels at the wkend phase 2 clio wheels the clover kinda style ones and now when i corner right i get a rubbing noise from the near side rear wheel but its not a constant rub like say if the tyre was catching the bumper its intermittent speed of which varies with the speed im doing (obiously) but it doesnt do it on the other side it doesnt do it over bumps etc just cornering right the harder i corner the louder it sounds etc im just wondering if the wheel bolts can touch anything if they go through to far as its not the outer wheel rubbing i dont think as i cant see any rub marks anywhere and clearences look ok all round but if it is the wheel bols why does it not do it the other side when i corner left? any ideas greatly appreciated thanks

Tony Walker
13-05-2010, 21:28
take a look at both wheels make sure its the same gap on both sides, Mine was always closer on one wheel than the other, till i changed the wheel bearing and realised that the last person to fit it , pressed it in too hard and pushed it through the back of the disc meaning the wheel was slowly coming off :eek:
Another thought, maybe a damper is weaker on one side?

Ross
13-05-2010, 21:44
shocks seem ok and clearnce round both wheels is about 6-8mm minimum plus i had 15's on before these wheels and it didnt rub or do this.

scratcher
14-05-2010, 00:29
There's not a buldge or something on the tyre or buckled wheel?

Ross
14-05-2010, 01:39
Nope defo not the tyres are like new and the had the wheel up spinning it to check plus if it was that it would prob do it goin in a straight line also?

minty83
14-05-2010, 06:37
perhaps the top mount donut is rubbed down over time causing more camber and causing the strut to lean in more on hard cornering, or check were the wishbones joins the subframe to see if there still intact... that would cause the strut/wheel to move and possible rub:scratch:

Ross
14-05-2010, 06:47
OK will check those today the noise is coming from the rear though? It sounded worse when I came home from work this morning gonna take the wheel off again today check rear discs are on properly tight as I've not long changed them!

minty83
14-05-2010, 06:48
check the big bolt holding the rear shock in or might just be the disk gaurd, u may have knocked it when changing the disks