PDA

View Full Version : oil breather

prez06
10-05-2010, 10:38
can i fit an oil breather into the pipe that come from the right hand side of the inlet cos mines ot connected to anything, i no i could t it into the pipe running behind the rocker but ad rather stick a breather in if i could
bit of bad pic you can just make it out

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/astragsibon/010.jpg

Spooky
10-05-2010, 10:48
Yea, you need to have a vent of some kind for the rocker cover :eek:

prez06
10-05-2010, 11:05
the rocker does have a pipe from it sure it goes to the oil breather pot, its the one hanging from the inlet i wanna put the brather on

Spooky
10-05-2010, 11:11
yea thats fine :)

prez06
10-05-2010, 11:13
thanking you, i aint gotta a bloody clue with these cars lol :)

better to ask than just go ahead and do it

Mart
10-05-2010, 11:51
What's going on with the carb top piping (rhs from that picture)? Looks like one of the pipes is going to the vacuum throat connector, given the lack of pipe going off to the aei?

Where's the actuator compensator feed pipe from the turbo elbow going?

prez06
10-05-2010, 12:02
here mate i havnt got a ****ing clue what im doing with this car , the pipes were all over the shop when i got it i it goes from the bottom part on right of carb to the lobster,
the actuator 1 is going to the in car boost i think
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/astragsibon/009.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/astragsibon/008.jpg

prez06
10-05-2010, 12:04
is this why its not firing

Mart
10-05-2010, 12:07
The pipe where the yellow arrow starts should be connected to the vacant connector circled in red...

Shane P
10-05-2010, 12:08
You should maybe consider asking a local member to pop round and sort all your pipework out for you :)

Mart
10-05-2010, 12:09
Or given that you have a dump valve in situ, you at least need to 'T' off that (yellow arrow) pipe onto the 'red circle' connector.

Mart
10-05-2010, 12:11
As for that metal pipe coming off the back of the turbo elbow, given you've only got a 1-port actuator, remove said metal pipe from the elbow, and block the elbow hole with something like a wheel bolt.

Where does the other end of that metal pipe goto on your car, as the pictures don't really show?

Mart
10-05-2010, 12:21
Basic rundown of carb & actuator pipework...

- You need a pipe from the aei vacuum capsule to the inlet manifold throat connector - That's your vacuum/positive pressure (for the aei) reference point.

- If you want to retain your dump valve, 'T' off the aforementioned pipe & connect to the top of the dump valve.

- Remove the metal pipework (and connecting rubber hose) from the rear of the turbo elbow, and block off hole with a wheel bolt.

- On the passenger side of the carb, about halfway down the carb body, run a pipe from that outlet to the actuator - AKA the Cup mod.

- As a result of plumbing the actuator like that, now block off both of the passenger side carb elbow outlets.

- Driver's side of the carb elbow has one outlet, but splits off into 3 directions - One goes to the accelerator pump (brass nozzle sticking out from the lower part of the carb (driver's side), another line goes to the fuel pressure regulator (ref' line), and the last pipe goes to the dash clock boost gauge.

- That should leave one pipe, which is the 'fuel in' for the carb, which connects to the connector, at the top right, on the driver's side of the carb.

Sort that, then come back to us...

prez06
10-05-2010, 12:37
is that the pipe at the very bottom of carb on passenger side the thin long pin

Mart
10-05-2010, 12:45
For what?

Spooky
10-05-2010, 12:59
In that first big picture...where is the fuel feed pipe to the carb connected?...:eek:...

Spooky
10-05-2010, 13:01
You can see this brass nipple JUST poking out from between the carb ports on the left hand side in the very first picture...:eek:

prez06
10-05-2010, 13:02
fuel pipe wasnt connected then as its ****ing filling intercooler nd engine with petrol as the heap of **** wont fire, its seriously testing my patience now im gonna have to leave it i can feel my temper going lol and ill only end up doing something ill regret later

does this look better ?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/astragsibon/DSCF4641.jpg

Mart
10-05-2010, 13:14
No, as you've still got the dump valve going to the 'Cup' outlet on the carb.

Look underneath the carb, on the manifold throat, towards the firewall, and you'll see an outlet - That's where the dump-valve & aei/vacuum capsule pipe(s) connect to.

Where's that plastic pipe on the dump-valve line going to?

Word of warning - Unless all those clear pipes are reinforced, and petrol vapour/oil vapour/high temperature friendly, you really shouldn't be using them.

Spooky
10-05-2010, 13:16
On the drivers side of the carb - see that blue pipe attached to the carb top yea...the black pipe that is connected to that with a small jubilee clip or whatever it is, 'appears' to be the fuel line...

To check - follow that black pipe backwards and it should lead you to the fuel pressure regulator just below the brake master cylinder etc...

If that is the fuel line...reconnect it to the open brass nipple I mentioned just before - this is what will supply the carb with fuel funnily enough :)

Mart
10-05-2010, 13:17
Incase you didn't see it first time around...

Basic rundown of carb & actuator pipework...

- You need a pipe from the aei vacuum capsule to the inlet manifold throat connector - That's your vacuum/positive pressure (for the aei) reference point.

- If you want to retain your dump valve, 'T' off the aforementioned pipe & connect to the top of the dump valve.

- Remove the metal pipework (and connecting rubber hose) from the rear of the turbo elbow, and block off hole with a wheel bolt.

- On the passenger side of the carb, about halfway down the carb body, run a pipe from that outlet to the actuator - AKA the Cup mod.

- As a result of plumbing the actuator like that, now block off both of the passenger side carb elbow outlets.

- Driver's side of the carb elbow has one outlet, but splits off into 3 directions - One goes to the accelerator pump (brass nozzle sticking out from the lower part of the carb (driver's side), another line goes to the fuel pressure regulator (ref' line), and the last pipe goes to the dash clock boost gauge.

- That should leave one pipe, which is the 'fuel in' for the carb, which connects to the connector, at the top right, on the driver's side of the carb.

Sort that, then come back to us...

Mart
10-05-2010, 13:18
And if that picture above is a latest/current picture, your HT leads/placement are incorrect.

TrixNFlix
10-05-2010, 13:19
Look everybody Marts doing his invisible trick again! :D:laugh:

prez06
10-05-2010, 13:20
there right 1342 from the bottom, ive just getting it back its been in a garage for 6 weeks and they didnt even look at it, ive been offshore a couple of times while they had it and i expected to get it back running, i even left them £200 for starters, which i havnt got back yet, after 6 weeks i told the ****s to get the ****ing car dropped back off

prez06
10-05-2010, 13:24
lol there the same as this

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/astragsibon/r5engine.jpg

Shane P
10-05-2010, 13:24
Could you stand at the front of your car, lean over the top of your open bonnet and take a photo of your engine bay from the top view looking downwards? :)

Mart
10-05-2010, 13:26
Ok, fair enough. It looked like 1&2 might've been round the wrong way - Couldn't tell for sure from the picture.

Mart
10-05-2010, 13:27
Look everybody Marts doing his invisible trick again! :D:laugh:

I sometimes wonder why I bother. That took a while to type that all out, and not so much of a thanks in return :dearme:

TrixNFlix
10-05-2010, 13:29
I sometimes wonder why I bother. That took a while to type that all out, and not so much of a thanks in return :dearme:

Don't worry dude, this will help alot of people out when they use the search function. :agree::)

prez06
10-05-2010, 13:32
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/astragsibon/DSCF4642.jpg

prez06
10-05-2010, 13:33
and cheers mart;) for that breakdown of were pipes run to and from appreciated
just wish the ******* thing would start now, there friggin petrol everywhere, it was in the boost pipes etc when i swapped them about orthere bf

Spooky
10-05-2010, 13:37

It was impressive - although I think the wandering fuel pipe needs to be dealt with first :p

Mart
10-05-2010, 13:40
If you follow my piping guideline above, and remove any other 'floating'/non-connected pipes around the carb/actuator/dump-valve area, that at least gives you a good base to be going from.

prez06
10-05-2010, 13:41
that was just took off while i drained the engine of all the petrol and intercooler, put new oil in and i didnt want the engine filling with petrol again so im gonna leave it off till someone comes and has a look at it, only a case of pushing it on

so does mine look better now

Mart
10-05-2010, 13:42
It was impressive - although I think the wandering fuel pipe needs to be dealt with first :p

Not really, as...

fuel pipe wasnt connected then...

Plus the latest picture shows the pipe now connected.

:)

:cooter:

prez06
10-05-2010, 13:44
hahha i me mate was messing on with it lastnight lol

and the bolt that hold the distributor to the block isnt in hahha

prez06
10-05-2010, 13:47
dump valve is t'd into the aei to the base of carb

Spooky
10-05-2010, 14:02
:D

prez06
10-05-2010, 14:33
hahaha it like being back at school running back and forwards to the car my 4 year old son might aswell be doing it cos i aint got a scooby doo :wasntme:

prez06
13-05-2010, 18:16
oil breather fitted :agree:

Cheers lads

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/astragsibon/renault%205%20gt%20turbo%20project/DSCF4670.jpg

Mart
13-05-2010, 18:24
Ok, and what about the pipework?

Might want to remove & bin that fuel filter as well - Think about how much pressure that can withstand, and then add on the fact it's in close proximity to a red hot exhaust manifold.

Recipe. For. Disaster.

Mart
13-05-2010, 18:26
And for all the good that oil breather filter is doing (ie, feck all), you might as well remove & bin that too.

scratcher
13-05-2010, 19:03
As Mart said, that breather filter is doing nothing for you. Can you get a run down of how your breather system is piped? Do you still have a pipe going to the 'telephone' hose on the intake?

prez06
13-05-2010, 19:24
ive put the in line fuel filter in so i can check that the petrol is not f@cking manky so its staying i the breathers still coming from the telepone hose, thought id put the filter on rather than T that pipe in and thats staying also

i think the petrol pissing out the carb is more of a worry than the filter :)

scratcher
13-05-2010, 19:41
It'll only cause you bother dude. Best bet is to remove the one way valve in the manifold and block it with an M8 bolt and copper washer. And if you want the filter on just pop it on the end of the one that goes to the telephone hose. But make sure its away from the turbo too.

scratcher
13-05-2010, 19:46
Also, where does the pipe arrowed with green go to? It should be going to the carb top... unless I'm wrong :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/pimpscratcher/DSCF4670.jpg

prez06
13-05-2010, 20:58
i mate i just took it off to take picture of fuel filter

i wanna leave inline filter on for now cos i need to check no oily petrol has returned back into tank, to be honest think carb needs looked at ive practically give up finding someone to ome have a look for me

and when i asked if it was ok to put filter on that pipe i was told yes thats fine read first comments :confused:

this is why i paid the £25 to get help and information
my bad im new to messing about with these myself always paid people but this is getting way expensive

Mart
13-05-2010, 21:06
I can't understand why you don't simply follow my advice above (posted twice) about plumbing the carb & actuator pipes, then we'll sort out the breather circuit.

If you leave that fuel filter in place, you're asking for trouble the first time the turbo boosts up, but hey, it's your car, you do as you wish.

prez06
13-05-2010, 21:35
i done what you said with the pipes

bottom pipe on left of carb to aei/with dump valve t'd in