PDA

View Full Version : Track car prep

Wallace
09-05-2010, 21:08
Seeing as the club has track days, i've been wondering what are the rules for using your 5gtt on track??

Must it have a cage??

Drivers must wear helmets?? etc etc??

Can anyone give me an over view or point in the right direction of where i can get this sort of info?

Bearing in mind i have no clue on the regs and rules:scratch::D

I did a red letter days track thingy recently and loved being able to rag the s**t out of the car and it be in a safe "ish" environment...............i don;t drive like a prick on public roads.............but i do crave the opportunity to use 5 to it's max knowing your not going kill anyone in the process:burnrubber:

TrixNFlix
09-05-2010, 21:15
You need a helmet for you and any passengers
No need for a roll cage, some places wont let you run slick tyres unless you have a cage, some places dont let you wear t shirts, ie, your arms have got to be covered, not sure if its the same for legs too:scratch:

HULK
09-05-2010, 21:15
Preparing the car
As long as the car is good condition there should be no major problems with using it on track. It’s advantageous if it has had a recent service but regardless of this you should ensure that the fluid levels are all up to their maximum mark (and it’s worth checking the oil a couple of times during the day) and tyre pressures should be set at the manufacturers recommended levels. There is often debate about this between drivers as to which is the best level for maximum grip but running the pressures too low can damage the sidewalls as they flex during sustained cornering, and as they will heat up on track (and therefore the pressure will rises) starting them too high can increase the wear rate.

Inside the car you should ensure there are no lose objects that might fly around, and if you intend using a video camera it will have to be securely mounted and often you will need to sign a disclaimer form that states that the footage is for private use only.

If you drive smoothly and properly there won’t be a huge increase in wear rates but you should ensure there is a reasonable amount of tread depth left on the tyres, especially if you are driving the car home on the road. Always complete a cool down lap before coming into the pits to get some air to the brakes, engine and the transmission, and once in the pits at the end of a session do not apply the handbrake as the pads can weld themselves to the discs when hot. If you feel the brake pedal go ‘long’ when on track don’t panic or come straight in, do a cool down lap and you should find that once they have cooled a little the firmness under foot will return.

Wallace
09-05-2010, 21:31
Preparing the car
As long as the car is good condition there should be no major problems with using it on track. It’s advantageous if it has had a recent service but regardless of this you should ensure that the fluid levels are all up to their maximum mark (and it’s worth checking the oil a couple of times during the day) and tyre pressures should be set at the manufacturers recommended levels. There is often debate about this between drivers as to which is the best level for maximum grip but running the pressures too low can damage the sidewalls as they flex during sustained cornering, and as they will heat up on track (and therefore the pressure will rises) starting them too high can increase the wear rate.

Inside the car you should ensure there are no lose objects that might fly around, and if you intend using a video camera it will have to be securely mounted and often you will need to sign a disclaimer form that states that the footage is for private use only.

If you drive smoothly and properly there won’t be a huge increase in wear rates but you should ensure there is a reasonable amount of tread depth left on the tyres, especially if you are driving the car home on the road. Always complete a cool down lap before coming into the pits to get some air to the brakes, engine and the transmission, and once in the pits at the end of a session do not apply the handbrake as the pads can weld themselves to the discs when hot. If you feel the brake pedal go ‘long’ when on track don’t panic or come straight in, do a cool down lap and you should find that once they have cooled a little the firmness under foot will return.

:goodpost:

do not apply the handbrake as the pads can weld themselves to the discs when hot. :eek::wasntme:

Well that all sounds fecking awesome - so basically get myself a helmet and i'm good to go..........................roll on finishing the project:agree:

Alex
09-05-2010, 21:41
Just a note on helmets: I'd recommend getting a fire proof one as some circuits/insurance are now requiring them. :)

Nick k
09-05-2010, 21:41
Preparing the car

Where did you steal that from!! :D Was it a cut and paste job!!

HULK
09-05-2010, 21:46
Where did you steal that from!! :D Was it a cut and paste job!!

:scratch::cry: