PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor

Yellow
07-05-2010, 20:05
I'm in the middle of sorting my car out and fitted an old starter a mate had knocking about. This is the first time I've tried turning the ignition on and cranking it since I've owned the car. I believe the wiring in general to be in very good condition and has a new engine loom. I turn it on all dash lights show up, I then try to crank and all that happens is the dash lights go a little dimmer. Also could battery be nackered. Cheers.

Shane P
07-05-2010, 20:09
I'm in the middle of sorting my car out and fitted an old starter a mate had knocking about. This is the first time I've tried turning the ignition on and cranking it since I've owned the car. I believe the wiring in general to be in very good condition and has a new engine loom. I turn it on all dash lights show up, I then try to crank and all that happens is the dash lights go a little dimmer. Also could battery be nackered. Cheers.

Sticky solenoid ? Give it a light tap with a hammer and try again :)

tiff_lee
07-05-2010, 20:16
Do you hear a click? could be flat battery, loose battery terminals, sticky solenoid....

Yellow
07-05-2010, 20:20
There was no clicking or any thing but the starter could be very old. All wiring is good and tight. Maybe get one that I no works will be a good idea.

modfather
07-05-2010, 20:35
could you not use some jump leads to get some life in the battery

Brigsy
07-05-2010, 20:37
Give the starter a bang;)

dangerous dave
07-05-2010, 20:58
Give the starter a bang:hump:;)

pervert

Yellow
07-05-2010, 20:59
Cheers fellers a bang it is. If not new starter I guess. :agree:

J$£5GTT
07-05-2010, 21:02
Give the starter a bang;)

i prefer a wallop...:p

Yellow
07-05-2010, 22:04
If that's the case I'll give it a wallop. :D

tiff_lee
07-05-2010, 22:07
If the battery light is going dim and the starter solenoid isn't even engaging are you sure the battery is charged?

THE MASTER
07-05-2010, 22:59
two things to cheack . if you still have to org terminal on the starter solinoid replace it .. also if your death block conector (behind n/s head light) looks dirty sort that out

Yellow
12-05-2010, 23:10
I've still not got it turning on the key but did test starter on a batt and worked a treat but when fitted to the car does nothing so I thought maybe some one can advise me on what wires go where. At th moment I've got the thin wire with the plug on it to starter. an to larger cables, starter to batt and the connection to the engine loom. Is this right or am I missing something. Cheers

dangerous dave
12-05-2010, 23:24
think thats right, ones from the battery and the other the alt, exciters the little white one..

starters earthed on the block, of not blast it out with brake cleaner.. in the past ive cleaned up a started and regreased the gear as its been grubby and sticky, now im to lazy to bother.. :p

dowel can be a problem if its not in the right place..

dangerous dave
12-05-2010, 23:28
also your battery might give 12v but drop like a stone when trying to crank, try another battery if there one at hand.. 063 found on most small motors 106's etc..:)

Yellow
13-05-2010, 07:24
Cheers for that Dave I'll give it a go. Every thing is nice and tight. But I am using a ****ty battery. I recognize your car was you at thorny island last time round I'm sure me and my mate had a chat with you.

dangerous dave
13-05-2010, 16:49
Cheers for that Dave I'll give it a go. Every thing is nice and tight. But I am using a ****ty battery. I recognize your car was you at thorny island last time round I'm sure me and my mate had a chat with you.

not sure if i've been there, i have taken my old gtt to a mates wedding in hayling and a few night outs, current ones been in north end a few times.. i chat to a few people but i dont think any of them had 5's.. when its back together i'll be taking it round your way to see my mate jimmy, an ex r5gtt owner:cool:

markey b
13-05-2010, 18:04
jump lead from engine block to negative terminal, sounds like bad earth