PDA

View Full Version : Replacing inlet manifold core plugs

Thundercat
05-05-2010, 20:45
Hi all, anyone on here recently purchased or as a source for the core plugs in the inlet manifold. Been in touch with bob at CGB but he's drawn a blank, apparantly renault do list them but he has been unable to previously gets some of them. Any help appreciated.

michael tierney
05-05-2010, 21:13
i got them in a motor factors...i made up a tool for levering/getting them out...see profile pics:)

Pete@Backyard Racing
05-05-2010, 22:54
i got them in a motor factors...i made up a tool for levering/getting them out...see profile pics:)

hammer, punch and flat blade screwdriver :D

Alex
06-05-2010, 07:46
I've recently done this job on mine. To get the old one out - big hammer and a screwdriver. I bought a new 28mm one from a local engine shop. To fit it put some sealant round the edges and tap it in with a socket. :)

Mart
06-05-2010, 07:58
Sometimes easier (and, imho, worthwhile) to just bridge/bypass the manifold water pipes & feed straight to the carb instead.

Alex
06-05-2010, 09:37
Why would you say it's worthwhile Mart? What are the pro's/cons? :confused:

phase i 16 v turbo
06-05-2010, 12:02
I keep them in stock.

Mart
06-05-2010, 12:51
Why would you say it's worthwhile Mart? What are the pro's/cons? :confused:

Because you're adding unneccessary extra heat to the cooling circuit.

The carb base is cooled (and heated) sufficiently enough without having the inlet manifold heat added into the equation as well.

A hot(ter) carb base will naturally transfer heat to the air/fuel mix, which increases the act's, hence then lowers the detonation threshold point. Not good.

gtmatt
06-05-2010, 13:14
Sometimes easier (and, imho, worthwhile) to just bridge/bypass the manifold water pipes & feed straight to the carb instead.

i have done this with my old 5 and my new 1 and i have not had any issues with this mod:)

paul-11turbo
06-05-2010, 13:31
Because you're adding unneccessary extra heat to the cooling circuit.

The carb base is cooled (and heated) sufficiently enough without having the inlet manifold heat added into the equation as well.

A hot(ter) carb base will naturally transfer heat to the air/fuel mix, which increases the act's, hence then lowers the detonation threshold point. Not good.

So what is stopping/regulating the inlet manifold from getting too hot with no coolant to run through it?

Brigsy
06-05-2010, 13:40
I personally cant see how the coolant keeps the inlet manifold cool:confused:

The ph1 11 turbos didnt even have the water jackets on the inlet, i run one on my van with no problems.

Mart
06-05-2010, 15:54
So what is stopping/regulating the inlet manifold from getting too hot with no coolant to run through it?

Heat exchange through the metal surface.

The coolant temperature would be circa 80c (and that's being generous) before entering the manifold, so it's hardly going to cool the manifold anyway.

Thundercat
06-05-2010, 16:32
Personnally i agree coolant circuit probably not doing the best of job. Was looking into blocking of where the nipples fit and modifying core plugs with nipples to get the best coolant route through manifold. One circular circuit from pump to turbo to inlet mainifold to carb and back to pump. Less pipe less hassle.