View Full Version : I need you help

m5tt
04-05-2010, 21:04
Lets say I've found a 5 GT turbo laying there looking helpless

History for what I know is its been stood a long time I believe around 7 years inside and now a further 2 years stood on a drive.

It's nothing picasso, in fact its in need of a pick me. missing back bumper front indies but i know these are quite easy to pick up. External rust looks minimal only had a real quick glance though

so I've had a mooch around the car and noticed the Interior is a in need of a fix but thats all cosmetic which for me isnt a 'REAL' issue as of yet.

But my issues are when you buy a car like this what areas need to be addressed

what degree do you go into with the brakes ?

could you just bolt a head on to a bottom end thats been exposed for atleast 18+ months and it be ok ........

What other concerns would you have

am looking to turn a penny into a pound if your with me!

Many thanks

HULK
04-05-2010, 21:17
My first advice would be to get on ya hands and knees and have a bloody good look underneath it, paying particular attention to the sills and rear arches.

all fluids in the car, ie, petrol in the tank, coolant, all oils engine/gearbox will need to be flushed out and replaced

TrixNFlix
04-05-2010, 21:20
All body kit off, interior out looking for mr rust before you spend anytime on anything else.

car.crash
04-05-2010, 21:21
rust is the killer, anything else is fixable if your good with spanner, check under the car and the sills for rot. push, prod and poke everywhere. a few holes will be quite normal but check everywhere as ones that are good ontop can be dogs underneath.

michael tierney
05-05-2010, 17:34
if the head been off for that length the rings have probably rusted to the bores!:crap:

m5tt
05-05-2010, 20:53
if the head been off for that length the rings have probably rusted to the bores!:crap:

Really, well that might aswell all but ruins any thought I had. suddenly something thats suppose to be cheap launches into a full on resto project would
love to do that but I can't commit that deep .

on a quickie though how much would it cost to rebuild a bottom end with standerd parts

michael tierney
05-05-2010, 21:21
i hav'nt done one in 10years or more...others on this site have though and others are selling second hand ones ect so it might'nt be that expensive!!:)

prez06
05-05-2010, 21:26
brakes will fo sure be shagged after 7+ years standing if its on grass then defo check underneath as it would rot easier and quicker, sounds like a full resto to me :confused:
so ask yourself will it be worth it , if your just after doing it up and flogging it i wouldnt bother tbh

The new Bill J
05-05-2010, 21:40
When Mart and I bought what's now my cup car, it had been sat under a tree for god-knows how many years! We didn't bother changing the brakes, suspension, brake fluid. Hell, it even had 3/4 of a tank of green :scared: fuel in it. We weren't going to waste that, so it stayed :laugh:

So in went an engine, and off to Brands Hatch we went for it's first drive (obviously it couldn't be road tested, as it's not road registered). The only issue we had was a rear wheel bearing collapsing going into Paddock Hill Bend at about 100mph. Apart from that slight mishap, all was good, and everything worked as it should :D

Oh, and rot wise, it was one of the cleanest gtt's I've come across. We couldn't believe it when we first looked underneath. Yes, the car might have been covered in mould, but underneath it looked brand new, and the under-seal still looked nice and fresh :cool:

Pete@Backyard Racing
05-05-2010, 22:48
Lets say I've found a 5 GT turbo laying there looking helpless

History for what I know is its been stood a long time I believe around 7 years inside and now a further 2 years stood on a drive.

It's nothing picasso, in fact its in need of a pick me. missing back bumper front indies but i know these are quite easy to pick up. External rust looks minimal only had a real quick glance though

so I've had a mooch around the car and noticed the Interior is a in need of a fix but thats all cosmetic which for me isnt a 'REAL' issue as of yet.

But my issues are when you buy a car like this what areas need to be addressed

what degree do you go into with the brakes ?

could you just bolt a head on to a bottom end thats been exposed for atleast 18+ months and it be ok ........

What other concerns would you have

am looking to turn a penny into a pound if your with me!

Many thanks

take sumone wiv u whos had a gtt b4 ;). 2nd to that a mechanic