PDA

View Full Version : quaiffe differentials

jesus in the seat of a 5
03-05-2010, 18:00
Can anyone reccomend someone to fit one?, do any of you have experience and trust someone whomb has fitted one?, im looking into this and thought i may as well ask on here as i know there are some usefull folk on here and some that allready have them, cheers peeps , matt.

car.crash
03-05-2010, 19:12
Turbo ted speaks highly of a place up north called gearbox man. Drop him a pm mate

jesus in the seat of a 5
03-05-2010, 19:18
Turbo ted speaks highly of a place up north called gearbox man. Drop him a pm mate

cheers me ole friend , will do...:)

*Yellow*
03-05-2010, 20:05
Matt, had my Gripper fitted by them and did a good job:)

http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/

The old cup car will be transfomed with a lsd ..... best thing I ever did with mine :D

jesus in the seat of a 5
03-05-2010, 20:30
Matt, had my Gripper fitted by them and did a good job:)

http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/

The old cup car will be transfomed with a lsd ..... best thing I ever did with mine :D

cheers dave, ta, im sure youre right, i hear with the gripper you have to change the driveshafts etc and they are higher maintenance than the quaiffe diff , whats your take on this buddy?, ill contact the chap in the morning for prices me thinks..:agree:.

*Yellow*
03-05-2010, 21:15
cheers dave, ta, im sure youre right, i hear with the gripper you have to change the driveshafts etc and they are higher maintenance than the quaiffe diff , whats your take on this buddy?, ill contact the chap in the morning for prices me thinks..:agree:.

The Gripper does need the n/s driveshaft shortening by 25mm, which isnt a big job to a decent engineer, my last one cost £50, as the outer cv joint went.
If I were you,I would speak to Gripper as they have modified a few components over the last couple years to improve reliability.
I chose the Gripper as more people use them on track with the 5GTT then the Quaife ATB,

I know a few people running the ATB and are pleased with them, but there not turbo cars.

Hope this helps:)

SCHWARTZ
03-05-2010, 22:36
whats the rough price on one of either of these diffs? dont supose anyone got a second hand one nocking about??:D

car.crash
03-05-2010, 22:41
about a grand plus fitting. you can get them on ebay for around 900.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
04-05-2010, 06:37
Matt, it depends on what you need a diff for and how much power you are aiming to transmit through it.... With Mr Clarks and Mr Davies cars we need the diffs!!
I used to work for Quaife, I'd be interested to do a test one day... A Quaife kitted car, a Gripper kitted car, a Phantom grip kitted car and a standard well set up open diff car.

c7borg
04-05-2010, 08:45
I'm also in the market for a Limited slip diff in the next couple of months.. but at £900 isn't there a Renault box that comes with one as standard that you can make fit?

I'm just after ultimate traction off the line and out the corners.. I did think about locking the diff as with it being at the rear it might not have such a negative impact on the steering?.. I'm just not sure..

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
04-05-2010, 09:22
If you are rear engined, it won't affect the steering, also I'd be getting the welding gear out....lots cheaper than a trick diff.
I'm sure the R26r is the only Renault with a locking diff as standard in a NDO gearbox.
Poss. the Spider as well?

c7borg
04-05-2010, 10:17
If you are rear engined, it won't affect the steering, also I'd be getting the welding gear out....lots cheaper than a trick diff.
I'm sure the R26r is the only Renault with a locking diff as standard in a NDO gearbox.
Poss. the Spider as well?

Thanks matt

So thats a :agree: for welding the diff that seems like a nice option for me.. I read about it in a magazine ages ago and they said it can work well.. but couldn't find anyone on the net with anything positive to say about it although they were all front wheel drivers.. although I have just been on the mx5 forum for a sniff round and all they say is that it's good for drifting and really I need it to handle aswell.. maybe I need to be looking at the second hand market :)

Andrew Cooke
04-05-2010, 13:10
Thanks matt

So thats a :agree: for welding the diff that seems like a nice option for me.. I read about it in a magazine ages ago and they said it can work well.. but couldn't find anyone on the net with anything positive to say about it although they were all front wheel drivers.. although I have just been on the mx5 forum for a sniff round and all they say is that it's good for drifting and really I need it to handle aswell.. maybe I need to be looking at the second hand market :)

the biggest problem with the welded diff is likely to be corner exit understeer, it'll keep you nice and straight under braking :)

If you want to try a box with a welded diff I have a GTT and a 172 you can try.

c7borg
04-05-2010, 13:32
the biggest problem with the welded diff is likely to be corner exit understeer, it'll keep you nice and straight under braking :)

If you want to try a box with a welded diff I have a GTT and a 172 you can try.

Thanks that's really generous..Would you mind me trying the r5 one on a sprint event?

I'm just about to move house (fingers crossed) so have a bit of time on my hands and my next event isn't until late july..
Do you have any events north of Oxford or are you going to Santapod ?.. I will happily pop down to Oxford if not.

olidaviesuk
04-05-2010, 13:36
I'm not 100% sure but I think in the latest version of the gripper you don't need to shorten the driveshaft as they've modified the casing again, could be wrong though!

The Gripper does need the n/s driveshaft shortening by 25mm, which isnt a big job to a decent engineer, my last one cost £50, as the outer cv joint went.
If I were you,I would speak to Gripper as they have modified a few components over the last couple years to improve reliability.
I chose the Gripper as more people use them on track with the 5GTT then the Quaife ATB,

I know a few people running the ATB and are pleased with them, but there not turbo cars.

Hope this helps:)

Andrew Cooke
04-05-2010, 14:19
Thanks that's really generous..Would you mind me trying the r5 one on a sprint event?

I'm just about to move house (fingers crossed) so have a bit of time on my hands and my next event isn't until late july..
Do you have any events north of Oxford or are you going to Santapod ?.. I will happily pop down to Oxford if not.

No problem, I don't think I'm going to be anywhere near you, so maybe it's best to collect. Just PM me when you're interested. I'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks, so we might need to work around that.

c7borg
04-05-2010, 14:35
no problem.. many thanks

jesus in the seat of a 5
04-05-2010, 17:17
Matt, it depends on what you need a diff for and how much power you are aiming to transmit through it.... With Mr Clarks and Mr Davies cars we need the diffs!!
I used to work for Quaife, I'd be interested to do a test one day... A Quaife kitted car, a Gripper kitted car, a Phantom grip kitted car and a standard well set up open diff car.

Matt , i was thinking for the cup on a bar of boost , just track days, maybe a little more boost..:wasntme:, does this means you can fit the diif if i obtain one...;)..:laugh:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
04-05-2010, 19:54
Which cup car we talking about??;):laugh:
I reckon so, just need to have a word with a couple of mates to see about special tools etc.

jesus in the seat of a 5
04-05-2010, 20:01
Which cup car we talking about??;):laugh:
I reckon so, just need to have a word with a couple of mates to see about special tools etc.

:laugh:, the rowan buddy, sounds like a plan, if ya can get your hands on said tools , would you be up for the job?....:D, answers on a pm if needed..;), dead keen on one now , wanted one years ago but wasnt track etc dedicated enough like:)

Duncan Grier
05-05-2010, 14:54
Matty round the corner from Gripper diffs and also know a man who fits at nice mates rates prices :P (his job so knows what he is doing)

Give me a shout if needed - I used Dave Mac Propshafts for my custom shafts and they do the gripper stuff now. Prob cheaper for a R5 box but the vag box to strip / rebuild inc changing the f/d and fit ATB diff was £200 to give yo an idea. Speak to jon if your going to call them

Hope you well anyway

DG

jesus in the seat of a 5
05-05-2010, 16:13
Matty round the corner from Gripper diffs and also know a man who fits at nice mates rates prices :P (his job so knows what he is doing)

Give me a shout if needed - I used Dave Mac Propshafts for my custom shafts and they do the gripper stuff now. Prob cheaper for a R5 box but the vag box to strip / rebuild inc changing the f/d and fit ATB diff was £200 to give yo an idea. Speak to jon if your going to call them

Hope you well anyway

DG

Cheers duncs , any chance of you pm`ing your mates no or putting him in contact with me?, see if he can get a better price purchased and what he may charge for fitting etc....pretty please, cheers buddy , long time no speak...:)

Alastair
05-05-2010, 17:41
Matt,

I have a friend who works for a gearbox repair firm. He stripped, cleaned and rebuilt my Quaife box (that i still havent had time to fit:laugh:) after the driveshaft dropped it's needles for less than a ton and that included new seals...:agree: I'll be back in a month so if i can help let me know.:) Also call Carl here:

http://www.sorensenroadsport.co.uk/

He can get you a good discount from Quaife ;), make sure you tell him i sent you:agree:.

jesus in the seat of a 5
06-05-2010, 05:31
Matt,

I have a friend who works for a gearbox repair firm. He stripped, cleaned and rebuilt my Quaife box (that i still havent had time to fit:laugh:) after the driveshaft dropped it's needles for less than a ton and that included new seals...:agree: I'll be back in a month so if i can help let me know.:) Also call Carl here:

http://www.sorensenroadsport.co.uk/

He can get you a good discount from Quaife ;), make sure you tell him i sent you:agree:.

cheera Al , hellpfull as usual buddy ,, im gonna give all the peeps on here a call and see what prices i get etc, ill speak to you soon bud..:)

c7borg
06-05-2010, 09:03
I know someone local who said he could fix my second gear syncromesh for £120..that must include taking apart and putting back togeather.. but he's based in the midlands (nottingham) so it's a bit far for you to drop off..

jesus in the seat of a 5
06-05-2010, 17:58
I know someone local who said he could fix my second gear syncromesh for £120..that must include taking apart and putting back togeather.. but he's based in the midlands (nottingham) so it's a bit far for you to drop off..

cheers andrew , its a bit of a distance like but worth considering , i think ill contact all avenues and hear their prices etc and then decide like, some good contacts and help there boys, cheers....watch this space.