PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure gauge

LYNCHSTAR
29-04-2010, 21:23
when you turn on the ignition theres a yellow and red line shows up on the oil pressure gauge then goes of what is this and what does it mean. the gauge went up up and down ok but now it dont its saying no pressure and its not boosting properly.

Tony Walker
29-04-2010, 21:29
What do you mean a yellow and red line show up? Initially when you turn your ignition on the gauge goes up displaying your oil level, when your engines running it displays your oil pressure, quite clever really, unfortunately not very accurate.

LYNCHSTAR
29-04-2010, 21:35
What do you mean a yellow and red line show up? Initially when you turn your ignition on the gauge goes up displaying your oil level, when your engines running it displays your oil pressure, quite clever really, unfortunately not very accurate.

my other 5 never did this my mates car did and i thought i had faulty clocks but my new 5 does it. it even shows you on an old gt turbo brochure.

Thundercat
30-04-2010, 09:59
Out of all the r5 i've owned only 50% of the oil pressure gauges work, many are an easy fix with wiring at pressure sender repaired. But finding that i will be fitting mechanical oil pressure gauges on my 5s in the near future as readings can be misleading.:)

Shane P
30-04-2010, 12:10
Out of all the r5 i've owned only 50% of the oil pressure gauges work, many are an easy fix with wiring at pressure sender repaired. But finding that i will be fitting mechanical oil pressure gauges on my 5s in the near future as readings can be misleading.:)

Wouldn't an electrical replacement be safer, if the aftermarket mechanical one fails it will fill your dashboard and carpet with hot oil :(

Brigsy
30-04-2010, 12:14
Mechanical gauges are fine if you take care with the pipework, ive never had one leak.

James5
30-04-2010, 12:22
Mechanical gauges are fine if you take care with the pipework, ive never had one leak.

I have run a Mocal mechanical gauge with braided presure feed for the past 4 years without any fault at all.

Smokey
30-04-2010, 13:54
just dont over tighten and you wont end up with all oil in the car like me.:sad: