PDA

View Full Version : cages

Ross99
11-10-2008, 17:44
does anyone know of any cages going cheap? or does anyone know if the 5 shares its size cage wise with any other car, there's loads avaliable for things like saxo's and pugs but nothing for the 5 and dont want to pay silly money

youngscottie
12-10-2008, 22:14
depends what you want to do with the cage
for motorsport it would have to be proper with certificate
if not ive just moded a nova cage to fit
its a good fit and only about a hours work to mod:p

Ross99
14-10-2008, 03:43
what did you do to it?

phase i 16 v turbo
14-10-2008, 09:34
In my opinion there is no such thing as a cheap roll cage, if it is too be used as a roll cage and not for show and shine. I spent nearly £1000 on my roll cage for my track car, it was made to fit the vehicle and unfortunately it was used for what it was designed for (went over three time and ended up on the roof) and I walked away with only minor injuries, but the car was written off. If you intend to use the car for serious track use, don’t skimp on the roll cage!

Ross99
14-10-2008, 10:39
no mate just light track action, mine doesn't go fast enough to roll it

Trevhib
14-10-2008, 10:42
no mate just light track action, mine doesn't go fast enough to roll it

:scared:

paul b
14-10-2008, 10:46
IF your car is capable of over 20MPH,,,,,its quick enough to roll.....

:crap:

Ross99
14-10-2008, 10:48
ah 25 mph maxi chat but i can drive, plus i have no intestion of paying 1k for a cage when the car was not even that much.

Trevhib
14-10-2008, 10:54
Don't take it on the track then :sad2:

phase i 16 v turbo
14-10-2008, 11:58
It was a lot of money, but I walked away. That is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Driving fast is great fun but things do go wrong that you sometimes have no controll over!

Ross99
14-10-2008, 12:03
i'm more than aware of all of this thanks guys i am after a budget cage price wise not one made of cardboard, just dont fancy paying full whack simple as.

Trevhib
14-10-2008, 12:35
Wrong. Apparently you weren't aware that you could roll your car at 20mph.

Where you're right though is that it's your choice and I can certainly see your fiscal issue with a £1000 cage. Will a £200 show cage do the job though? Who the feck knows. Maybe you'll be able to tell us at some point. :)

The best advice I could offer is wait for a bonafide cage to come up second hand, or go for the cheapest new one that comes with a certificate.

Let us know what you do, it's an interesting subject and one that's becoming more important to the members of this club.

phase i 16 v turbo
14-10-2008, 13:04
I agree that almost all projects are done on a budget and corners can be cut, but you need to think long and hard about the areas you are going to save the money in. Second hand cages do come up, so hold on and see what is out there. In most cases loads of money gets put towards the engine and the paint job, then some on the breaks and a little bit towards other safety equipment.
I am in the process of building another track car and the first thing to go in was a cage, this time I have opted for sissy bars, extra link bars and cross over bars! Once you have been over once your plans change on what order you spend your money.

Ross99
14-10-2008, 13:34
yeah totally get you, there's a few i'm looking at that should do the job, but budget is getting tighter and tighter as i take on other projects but the aim in them is to finsh them to fund one good car so a good cage may be called for on completeion if funds allow

phase i 16 v turbo
14-10-2008, 14:24
Good idea!! I wish you all the best and hope it all works out for you!!!

youngscottie
14-10-2008, 21:44
i had to make new feet for the mounting points as the nova ones fouled on thedoor pillars
the cage i got is a omp certificated one from a mates nova rally car and it was free so it made it worth doing
its a fairly substantial cage and im more than confident in my welding:)