PDA

View Full Version : Fooking Rust!

Big Supes
25-04-2010, 22:11
Whipped the bodykit off today to see how things are looking...

.... not a good sight. :( Looks like I could do with 2 new sills and a new quarter panel.

SO... just wondering on what peoples thoughts were? Re-shell or cut the quarter off and sills out myself and get a decent welder to come around and patch it up? What are the general condition of GTT shells these day?

Will try and get some pics shortly.

Ta. :)

garya
25-04-2010, 22:58
get a campus shell usally mint :D

dangerous dave
25-04-2010, 23:05
i've seen a few and the grass might not be greener, just weight up the + and - of your shell before you bin it..

i scrapped my first thinking it was a rotter, rear bumper mounts gone, holes in the sills and the windscreen was going.. i stripped it before going and there really wasn't much more.. my next one looked mint apart from some creeping up from the rear quarter near the skirt, but that was propper rotten, sills were fooked, jacking points fooked, inner sills needed some work, rear bumper mounts were gone.. all this got sorted and a few years later more rot was found that needed sorting:rolleyes: if i had have known id have stuck with my first one:(

once the works done your left with a solid car again and your to busy enjoying it give a fook about what a nightmare it was:smokin:

current 5's the best one ive had as far as rot goes, solid on top, solid in all the places under the kit, just gotta rip into the underneath abit more.. jacking points look a bit knackered so thats one thing i'll look into but any other rot doesn't bother me.. i just hate it when it causes panels to need paint:disagree:

get some pics up:)

Big Supes
25-04-2010, 23:09
Yeah, I've thought about the Campus option, but what with the dash and other bits I'm not aware of, it sounds like a potential headache.

DD, you've got a point mate. The rest of the car is SOLID. :)

I'll get some pics taken next weekend. :agree:

BriC
26-04-2010, 08:54
Get it fixed! As Dave says - the next one might look mint, but when you start taking it to pieces, it's even more rotten!

I keep uncovering rust on my project :cry: But we're just repairing it as we go.

Penfold aka The Dealer
26-04-2010, 09:09
Rear quarters Part numbers
Right 77 51 463 516 £191
Left 77 51 463 515 £191

Sills
Right 77 50 716 614
Left 77 50 716 612

raj
26-04-2010, 09:51
Get it fixed! As Dave says - the next one might look mint, but when you start taking it to pieces, it's even more rotten!

I keep uncovering rust on my project :cry: But we're just repairing it as we go.

bric, pardon me if ive got this wrong, but didnt you not so long ago have your car repainted? now im asking why wasnt the rust taken care of while the car was in for a repray? im sure you stripped the car did you not when it went in for a repray!

if its rust your finding elsewhere and not where the car was resprayed then ignore me.
im just saying id be p1ssed if i paid x amount on a respray only to find lets say even in a year that certain repainted areas had started to corrode.

BriC
26-04-2010, 10:19
bric, pardon me if ive got this wrong, but didnt you not so long ago have your car repainted? now im asking why wasnt the rust taken care of while the car was in for a repray? im sure you stripped the car did you not when it went in for a repray!

if its rust your finding elsewhere and not where the car was resprayed then ignore me.
im just saying id be p1ssed if i paid x amount on a respray only to find lets say even in a year that certain repainted areas had started to corrode.

PM

sphinX
26-04-2010, 10:22
Interesting question raj

Shane P
26-04-2010, 13:28
What are the general condition of GTT shells these day?

My car is an '89 and is badly corroding under the windscreen area plus the n/s/r section of the sill is buggered :)

dave j gtt
26-04-2010, 14:43
I have my car in peices, I refuse to let it rot.

It's all pretty good to be fair, but if i left my car much longer un-treat it could go down hill quickley. I have drove for two years no welding needed, even now it dosnt need any lucky me.

Thing is with these cars they need regualar attention. keeping clean and Re-protected say every 3-4 years. my cars over due this service and will prob take a fair bit of work to make mint.

Since i have owed my car in only 2 years. I have cleaned and painted sevreal areas under the car to keep it in good condition.

dave j gtt
26-04-2010, 14:45
bad subject that people hate to think about tho :cry:

but it best to get on top of these thing sooner rather than later to prolong the cars life :D

Big Supes
26-04-2010, 20:45
All comments noted dudes. :)

I'm going to do my best to save her from the scrappy, but I'm not going to waste time and money on a rotter. TBH, if I can get these bits done, the rest of the car is top notch so I'll more than likely get my teeth into cutting it all out this weekend.

On a side note... IF I discover more rust, how hard is it to convert a campus shell to GTT?

Rear quarters Part numbers
Right 77 51 463 516 £191
Left 77 51 463 515 £191

Sills
Right 77 50 716 614
Left 77 50 716 612

Thanks mate. Appreciated. :agree::)

Alex
26-04-2010, 20:58
I'd reapair it as mentioned. Mine was in a terrible state and required £800+ in welding alone to get it solid again! The thing is, before I'd taken all the kit and wings off it looked totally solid. I think if you were to re-shell you could end up back at square one! :rolleyes:

Big Supes
26-04-2010, 21:02
I'd reapair it as mentioned. Mine was in a terrible state and required £800+ in welding alone to get it solid again! The thing is, before I'd taken all the kit and wings off it looked totally solid. I think if you were to re-shell you could end up back at square one! :rolleyes:

Not with a mint Campus dude!

:)

There's no way on this planet that I'm going to spend £800 on welding. :(

dangerous dave
26-04-2010, 21:23

That's where you man up, buy a home welding set up and do some learning. I was lucky abs had my uncle sort out the worst of it, paid another to do 170 to do another load and Rtoc members did the last foc cuz they love me. X x x marc x x X

See what unfolds. :)

Tony Walker
26-04-2010, 21:26
have a look around the torsion bar mounting area. tend to rot there too. take a good look at what you have before you make a conversion. as has been said make sure you find a good solid shell if your going to swap otherwise you could end up back at square one.
Also bit of advice, if your gonna fix it, make sure you chop it out and dont just tidy it up, it soon comes back and spreads. Good luck

Big Supes
26-04-2010, 21:27
That's where you man up, buy a home welding set up and do some learning. I was lucky abs had my uncle sort out the worst of it, paid another to do 170 to do another load and Rtoc members did the last foc cuz they love me. X x x marc x x X

See what unfolds. :)

Been there and done that with my S13. I cut out and welded in two new sills and eventually got fed up with chasing it everywhere. Never again.

If I do mine, I'll prep it, then get someone decent to come and weld it. I want a long term fix so I don't trust myself with my homer bodges.

Big Supes
26-04-2010, 21:28
have a look around the torsion bar mounting area. tend to rot there too. take a good look at what you have before you make a conversion. as has been said make sure you find a good solid shell if your going to swap otherwise you could end up back at square one.
Also bit of advice, if your gonna fix it, make sure you chop it out and dont just tidy it up, it soon comes back and spreads. Good luck

Thanks mate. I'll bare those thoughts in mind. :agree:

5alldaway
26-04-2010, 21:28
seeing this thread makes me happy to have sold up cause altho it was pretty sound i knew eventually i would lose the battle against rust, i didnt have a garage to keep it in

wrightygtt
26-04-2010, 21:29
[quote=Penfold;150543]Rear quarters Part numbers
Right 77 51 463 516 £191
Left 77 51 463 515 £191

Anyone bought any rear quarters lately do Renault still stock them? I/m going to replace mine come the time, is that trade price??:)

dangerous dave
26-04-2010, 21:42
Been there and done that with my S13. I cut out and welded in two new sills and eventually got fed up with chasing it everywhere. Never again.

If I do mine, I'll prep it, then get someone decent to come and weld it. I want a long term fix so I don't trust myself with my homer bodges.

That's where the problem is, you want a propper job, a guy says he'll do it but it's the same job you'd have done. I found very few welders arent any better than patch welders. The guy I used was a bodyshop guy so his work was mint. Find a guy like that or do it yourself.

Big Supes
26-04-2010, 21:52
That's where the problem is, you want a propper job, a guy says he'll do it but it's the same job you'd have done. I found very few welders arent any better than patch welders. The guy I used was a bodyshop guy so his work was mint. Find a guy like that or do it yourself.

yeah, I'll be sure to find someone decent... or like you say, I'll do it myself.

:agree:

scratcher
26-04-2010, 22:43
[quote=Penfold;150543]Rear quarters Part numbers
Right 77 51 463 516 £191
Left 77 51 463 515 £191

Anyone bought any rear quarters lately do Renault still stock them? I/m going to replace mine come the time, is that trade price??:)

Just out of interest. Do you know if they're GTT or Campus rear quarters?

Andrew Cooke
26-04-2010, 22:58
[quote=wrightygtt;150740]

Just out of interest. Do you know if they're GTT or Campus rear quarters?

I've got a GT left quarter here, and that's the number it's got on it :)

TNT ANDY
27-04-2010, 06:30

Tom Jones !!! - It's not unusual

Alex
27-04-2010, 20:03

Who's to say the Campus won't be just as rusty once it's stripped back? ;) I know where you're going though.

It's worth bearing in mind that a non GTT shell won't have the same suspension (including rear beam/torsion bars) electrics, interior or brake set-up to name just a few, so that's all bits that will need swapping over.

It's interesting that lots of people are happy to spend xxxx on a respray but are put off when it comes to spending out on welding. My car for example - really crap/flat paint work BUT next to no rust and is 100% solid. The best money I've ever spent on it :)

Big Supes
27-04-2010, 21:52
Who's to say the Campus won't be just as rusty once it's stripped back? ;) I know where you're going though.

It's worth bearing in mind that a non GTT shell won't have the same suspension (including rear beam/torsion bars) electrics, interior or brake set-up to name just a few, so that's all bits that will need swapping over.

Ahh.. I wasn't sure about the rear beam/torsion bars. Thanks for confirming. :agree::agree:

It's interesting that lots of people are happy to spend xxxx on a respray but are put off when it comes to spending out on welding. My car for example - really crap/flat paint work BUT next to no rust and is 100% solid. The best money I've ever spent on it :)

I'm not happy to spend £1000's on resprays anymore... when it's done, I'm wrapping it in white. :cool: