PDA

View Full Version : Another brake problem!

GTphil
24-04-2010, 20:51
:crap: all four calipers sticking on fast! All four wheels are hot to touch and brakes smoking! after only half a mile or so.

The pedal feels like it's doing nothing them hits a stop, kind of like the rod is stuck in holding the brakes on:mad:

Stamp on and off the pedal a few times and it gets better.

Only does it when the cars warm:confused: brakes work perfectly when cold:sad2:

So it has to be either the servo or the mastercylinder, all pipes are fine no leaks one way valve is in good condition ect ect.

Anybody else had a similar issue?

jay28
24-04-2010, 20:59
Sounds like your servo is pressurising! Do you have your vac pipe to it linked up correctly? Is there a one way valve to stop boost pressure filling the servo and forcing the brakes on? My mate did it when he built his golf rallye!!

GTphil
24-04-2010, 21:08
Once it's happened the only way to free the brakes off is to let the car cool down for a good hour or so and then as if by magic they work fine again. :confused:

Not 100% on the small vacume pipe that runs down from the top of the carb as i havn't checked it the main hose that comes off the one way valve is fine and the one way valve it's self has been replaced twice with new ones:crap:

car.crash
24-04-2010, 21:13
bigdanc had this problem at mallory. turned out servo was shot and locked all brakes on.

GTphil
24-04-2010, 21:16
Can you get servos anywhere for a decent price?

Or is it belt open pants down time again:laugh:

car.crash
24-04-2010, 21:21
£199 plus vat from cgb. im sure somone on here has a spare.

GTphil
24-04-2010, 21:31
:eek:

Think it's probably better to have new as oppose to used unless it's hardly been used at all!;)

Really looking forward to this job:rolleyes:

Brigsy
24-04-2010, 21:45
Master cylinder is shot, i had exactly the same problem on my old gtt.

GTphil
24-04-2010, 21:51
It's a cheaper option to try I suppose and if i was going to get a new servo i would get a new mastercylinder anyway.

When i pump the pedal with the engine off the pedal goes rock hard, I can only assume that the servo is working correctly if this happenes?

Brigsy
24-04-2010, 21:56
Mine was exactly the same, happened after it was laid up for a short period in the garage, the m/s sticks for some reason.