PDA

View Full Version : Big brake kits

car.crash
23-04-2010, 10:09
Would anyone be interested in a group buy on big brake kits. The seller said he will do a deal if we order 5 sets and I'm awaiting costs. You get 4 discs with bearings and Caliper extenders.

dangerous dave
23-04-2010, 10:17
I'm interested :)

+ 1

Alastair
23-04-2010, 10:19
I take it as the bearings are involved these are rear big brake kits?:coffee:

car.crash
23-04-2010, 10:47
Sorry chaps I meant to add a link. It's 286mm fronts and STD rears all discs drilled.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360183233347&_trksid=p2761.l1259

Chris Hebden
23-04-2010, 13:29
Marc, i do not by any means want to get in the way of you sorting out a good deal for people on here but would like to say i have had a little trouble with that company and the rear discs they supply? I received mine and they were badly warped!
BUT saying that they were very good and eventually got a good set out to me

car.crash
23-04-2010, 16:23
Thanks for the heads up chris. After you found the discs were warped did they exchange them without fuss? Now you have put some miles on them are the new ones ok and would you recomend them or should we stay clear?

Ian S
23-04-2010, 19:01
I would ask why you want them drilled?

It just removes surface area to do braking with.

According to various stuff I've read it does not cool significantly if at all unless the 'spacers' between the two disc faces are not straight but scooped, like the better discs are, therefore actively drawing air in between the discs and out through the holes (or vice versa). Even then, they might need ducts to bring air to them.

As for the rear, there's too little braking as it is compared to the front, without removing even more surface area.

In the Fiat Cinquecento world, where I am a bit these days, people just throw slightly bigger discs on the rear to balance up with larger ones on the front as the rears are not a one piece.

Of course it depends how hard you brake and how soft your front springs are as to what the best balance is.

Someone was telling me, a few years ago, that the best combination he'd found were standard diameter Brembo front discs with Ferodo DS2500 pads.

HULK
23-04-2010, 20:04
So what is the real deal here??:scratch:

Surely 285mm discs are better than the standard size due to a much greater surface area for the pads to clamp down on and making it much easier for the pads to slow the brakes down

or does the greater unsprung weight of the bigger discs outweight there better braking effciency??

Or......is the overall weight of the whole car not heavy enough to make real use of the larger discs????

Ian S
23-04-2010, 21:38
The pad area is the same.

The discs are a little taller, so there is a little more leverage against the pads, so a little less pedal pressure required.

However, than means there proportionally even less braking taking place at the rear. Even with the compensator jammed fully on, the car might stop a bit less well.

I had 288's. There was too much front braking until I jammed on the compensator. That was about right until I fitted the PTFE / steel over braided hoses. Then there was too much front braking again. Kept locking up the fronts.

jamie_8
23-04-2010, 21:40
+1 for me

this must add a few bhp for the pubtalk tuning dangerous dave bangs on about :D

Pete@Backyard Racing
24-04-2010, 00:30
Would anyone be interested in a group buy on big brake kits. The seller said he will do a deal if we order 5 sets and I'm awaiting costs. You get 4 discs with bearings and Caliper extenders.

I'm interested but would like 2 no what sort of deal in £ will the seller do if we buy 5 sets? :)

car.crash
24-04-2010, 07:16
As soon as I get a price back I will post it up. I want to make sure the seller is happy to dispatch to 5 differant addresses too and that they will be signed for and insured.

scott25
26-04-2010, 16:11
hi, just found this thread last night, bit gutted as i already ordered mine from them and collected today as there local,
why i was there i asked about group buy's and wot sort of deal they could do
i was told for same kit in pic (different style disc same price, not sure about plain though) around 5 kits would be £260 and around 10 kits £240
but did not mention wich club so you may be able to haggle a little :) hope ya dont mind me doin that just thought it would be helpfull

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/ginge_vtr/DSC00185.jpg

car.crash
26-04-2010, 17:59
Thanks for the help Scott :). I was given some extenders today and already have drilled discs on the rear so I will just order myself some fronts as I didn't get enough interest for a group buy and still no price back from them either on bulk load.

Josie172cup
26-06-2010, 14:22
just out of interest what size wheels would you have to use to fit 285mm disks

Bigfoot
26-06-2010, 14:37
just out of interest what size wheels would you have to use to fit 285mm disks

Min of 15" wheels, but need to make sure it clears the caliper on the wheel as they get rather close.

benj88
27-06-2010, 10:36
Iv been thinking about getting this set up, I no a few companys do them but which one would people advice to get?

HULK
27-06-2010, 12:03
Iv been thinking about getting this set up, I no a few companys do them but which one would people advice to get?

Just keep ya eyes peeled on eBay, I bought a nearly new k-tec big brake kit of eBay from cgb for £85

benj88
27-06-2010, 13:26
Just keep ya eyes peeled on eBay, I bought a nearly new k-tec big brake kit of eBay from cgb for £85

:agree: that's ideal