PDA

View Full Version : PMT Suspension / camber advices

James5
21-04-2010, 11:10
Hi all, I am in need of some RTOC advice on suspension (using coilovers) in particular I need to get some negative camber (so the top of the wheel angles in towards the car a tad). I am looking into PMT mods as the Miss's won't allow me to buy adjustable top mounts at the mo (as I have apparently spent to much already on the 5 :laugh:) so I am wondering if I did some PMT mods like move the holes on the top of the strut that hold the top of the suspension in place back a few mm would this give me some negative camber?? I would have thought it would pull the complete strut unit in more as the bottom part of the strut is attached to the hub it would create some negative camber. I did consider camber adjuster bolts as I have some also did consider elongating the top hub bolt hole like on the cup cars but that will be no good as I have to use 3mm wheel spacers as it is to have clearance from the tyre to the spring so using the camber bolts will push the tyre against the fecking spring so no good. All I can think of is moving the strut top location holes to give me some neg camber.
Any advice???

JRP
21-04-2010, 11:37
Hi all, I am in need of some RTOC advice on suspension (using coilovers) in particular I need to get some negative camber (so the top of the wheel angles in towards the car a tad). I am looking into PMT mods as the Miss's won't allow me buy adjustable top mounts at the mo so I am wondering if I did some PMT mods like move the holes on the top of the strut that hold the top of the suspension in place back a few mm would this give me some negative camber?? I would have thought it would pull the complete strut unit in more as the bottom part of the strut is attached to the hub it would create some negative camber. I did consider camber adjuster bolts as I have some also did consider elongating the top hub bolt hole like on the cup cars but that will be no good as I have to use 3mm wheel spacers as it is to have clearance from the tyre to the spring so using the camber bolts will push the tyre against the fecking spring so no good. All I can think of is moving the strut top location holes to give me some neg camber.
Any advice???

I could be wrong but i belive scoff is you man on this :)

JRP
21-04-2010, 11:42
james, i have some phase1 struts with a mod done so the cambers better... maybe of some use... Matt5 pm and ask him what has ocured on them

James5
21-04-2010, 11:51
james, i have some phase1 struts with a mod done so the cambers better... maybe of some use... Matt5 pm and ask him what has ocured on them

Cheers matey, but sticking with the adjustable coilies I have on the car as I am not wanting to raise the car. Going to do some mods to my strut tower tops to enable an adjustable neg camber proper PMT style but I am thinking of doing a couple of small 1" length slots so I can slide for an adjsutable camber.

Need to find a flat surface to get the camber sorted first though :) (hmm looks like I may be doing it in the work car park on a lunchbreak very soon).

Mart
21-04-2010, 13:24
Drill out/elongate the top hub hole, and set the camber thus so - That's an old Cup car suspension trick.

Andrew Cooke
21-04-2010, 13:26
Drill out/elongate the top hub hole, and set the camber thus so - That's an old Cup car suspension trick.

read the question :sad2:

Chris Hebden
21-04-2010, 13:30

http://rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=142&pictureid=1095 :laugh:

Mart
21-04-2010, 14:04
read the question :sad2:

Fail indeed :D I blame the small ipod screen & my wonky eyes... :o

James5
21-04-2010, 14:13
Fail indeed :D I blame the small ipod screen & my wonky eyes... :o

:laugh:

Cheers for all the input guys going to move the strut top bolts to give me the camber I need, then get her tracked up again.

Spooky
21-04-2010, 14:24
:D