PDA

View Full Version : l.e.d tv's

Nayls
20-04-2010, 19:02
Has anybody heard of any problems with these?

i'd like to get one but im concerned that a year down the line 1 or some of the l.e.d's could blow?

is this likely?

more or less likely to have an l.e.d blow than that found in a normal tv?

Rob1980
20-04-2010, 19:16
I have had a Panasonic Viera LED for 6 years now, maybe longer I got it when HD TV first came out. It still takes pride of place in my living room in full, excellent working order with a full picture.

LED's are far better than plasma. They only last about 5 years before the picture goes.

JRP
20-04-2010, 19:18
Is L.e.d not relitivly new to the market, as in past 2 years?

Always belived it was LCD and plasma?

What panasonic is it you have rob? i got the Pz70-42

car.crash
20-04-2010, 19:20
are you sure its a led and not lcd viera. i thought only sharp and samsung had made them so far and the samsung is not full led.

Rob1980
20-04-2010, 19:26
Is L.e.d not relitivly new to the market, as in past 2 years?

Always belived it was LCD and plasma?

What panasonic is it you have rob? i got the Pz70-42

My bad it is LCD so ignore me as I am an idiot! Well I can tell you that LCD's are good for years then!:agree:

Sorry JRP I dont know the model, I may venture off the sofa and walk 20ft in a minute if I can be bothered!:coffee:

Rob1980
20-04-2010, 19:30
Tx-32lxd60

Nayls
20-04-2010, 19:44
yeah im defo not getting plasma,l.e.d or lcd it will be.

so sharp are the only full l.e.d tv then?

car.crash
20-04-2010, 19:53
a little while ago yes, but things move quickly and wont be long before others have theirs out too but a quick google search will answer that. missus works for sharp so she told me about the samsung only having leds around the edge.

Ross
20-04-2010, 19:54
im fairly sure samsung are full l.e.d now it only refers to the back lighting it still uses a liquid crystal display and for the money there asking for led at the minute i'd wait till they come down a bit you wont be disapointed with a full hd lcd.

HULK
20-04-2010, 19:57
99% sure samsung are bringing out there oled ( organic light emitting diode) televisions out next week so hold on a few more days. These babies are the future. The tv's are so thin they can be bent/flexed. Bendy screens are going to be massive in the next 3 years

Nayls
20-04-2010, 20:06
99% sure samsung are bringing out there oled ( organic light emitting diode) televisions out next week so hold on a few more days. These babies are the future. The tv's are so thin they can be bent/flexed. Bendy screens are going to be massive in the next 3 years

just had a search for oled! both the design of the tv & the picture looks fantastic! some are as this as a piece of paper.

i can imagine these will be a fair bit more expensive than what's currently available so i think i'l give it a miss,great bargaining tool though :)

garya
20-04-2010, 20:31
leds are smart looking tvs but not heard any problems with them YET.i would say best buy is a sony bravia lcd best picture quality and build also sound is fantasic on these they are bringing out a led version might even be out in some stores already...the t.vs i would avoid is lg and any plasma not saying they are not good but the picture from lcd is far better.

Trevhib
20-04-2010, 23:15
As one or two have said, don't get confused between recent developments in LED back-lighting on existing plasma and LCD type TVs.

The OLED stuff is completely different and is the next big step forward.

http://www.oled-info.com/oled-tv

Nayls
21-04-2010, 00:00
those of you that have wall mounted your tv's,what have you done with your dvd payer/sky box/ps3 etc??

i dont really like the look of those floating shelfs for them,not the ones i've seen anyway.

anybody know of good supplier of display cabinets/units that will house the dvd player etc & maybe even dvd's & cd's too?

cheers

markey b
21-04-2010, 00:10
if you do some research into consumer rights, you'll find that electrical items should be 'fit for use' for 5 years, so any issues until then you can return to manufacturer or outlet for repair or exchange...

also, dont worry about extended warranties unless they cover accidental damage, and also if the extended warranty doesn't state 'this does not affect your statuatory rights' then its illegal in itself

THE MASTER
21-04-2010, 00:14
i love it when i turn my telly off . waiting for the light spot in the middle to fook off :mart:

markey b
21-04-2010, 00:17
i love it when i turn my telly off . waiting for the light spot in the middle to fook off :mart:

ha ha the black and white one i had when i was a kid had that, you changed channel by retuning it!

THE MASTER
21-04-2010, 00:21
ha ha the black and white one i had when i was a kid had that, you changed channel by retuning it!

back then you used to have to get your arse out the seat and flick through 3 chanels
then we had chanel 4

and then chanel 5 wahho and a clicker
:laugh::laugh:

Kempy
21-04-2010, 01:04
back then you used to have to get your arse out the seat and flick through

I had one like that in my room, i had bunk beds at the time. never pick the top bunk. :cry::D:D

Trevhib
21-04-2010, 10:39
back then you used to have to get your arse out the seat and flick through 3 chanels
then we had chanel 4

and then chanel 5 wahho and a clicker

No way, getting up just so you can push record on the top-loader to tape Chock-A-Block or The Flumps :wasntme:

A N D Y
23-04-2010, 20:02
ALL the LED TV's (What ever they are advertising them as) are just LCD panels back or edge lit with LED's instead of tubes.

I picked up a LG LED at christmas,reason was to wall mount it as i have a projection screen which now falls nicely in front of it. couldnt do that with my plasma. If it wasnt for that reason,i would have upgraded to a newer plasma....miles ahead of LCD IMO.

Trevhib
23-04-2010, 23:26
Andy, you are missing a trick. LED back-lit LCD TVs and O-LED TVs are completely different technology. Plasma, LCD (LED back-lit or not) are virtually dead in the water for those who have the money to choose OLED.

See the link I posted above or this one here.

http://www.oledbuyingguide.com/oled-tv-articles/oled-tv-vs-lcd-tv.html

It is true however to say that a lot of people are confusing LED backlit and O-LED believing they are just 'LED TVs'.

R5 WRM
23-04-2010, 23:58
Plasma TVs have come a long way and they last much longer than they used to which was the only real reason you would pick an LCD over a plasma, but not anymore, they also have a superior picture over LCD's too :)

Gymnast
24-04-2010, 00:50
It's true, OLED will be the next big thing, check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9EZrYmABLU

A N D Y
24-04-2010, 18:31
Andy, you are missing a trick. LED back-lit LCD TVs and O-LED TVs are completely different technology. Plasma, LCD (LED back-lit or not) are virtually dead in the water for those who have the money to choose OLED.

See the link I posted above or this one here.

http://www.oledbuyingguide.com/oled-tv-articles/oled-tv-vs-lcd-tv.html

It is true however to say that a lot of people are confusing LED backlit and O-LED believing they are just 'LED TVs'.

:cooter:

Yeah i know OLED are different Trev. ;) i was getting at what you mentioned last,people are getting confused with led backlighting technology,thinking they are full led tv's when it just relates to the lighting, as i said being edge or back lit.

Screw your Tv's anyways,get a projector. :smokin:

Trevhib
25-04-2010, 13:38
Hi bud, ah sorry. :agree:

Yeah I've thought a lot about a projector, my brother has one and it's ace. I love the plus sides to them.

I'm just concerned about having to make the frontroom dark in the daytime in order to get the best out of it (and therefore having to fit blackout blinds). Plus, once fitted, it's a much bigger job if I wanted to change the room round, or indeed move out.