PDA

View Full Version : sunroof leak pissing down on me

mad manz
11-10-2008, 10:32
i got a sunroof leak does anyone know where the common fault are? eg rubber seal ect? hw much it is ? i spoke to renault dealer and said to me they wont sell the rubber seal on it own only with the sunroof whitch is £500 och i heardly ever use it:mad:

Schakal
11-10-2008, 10:38
the commnon fault is blocked drain pipes ,
the seal is meant to let a bit of water through and
its the job of 4 drain points to get rid of that water :smokin:

Simon .J. Rose
11-10-2008, 10:55
First post!

Rubber seals can get brittle over time aswell, its worth rubbing some vaseline into them once or twice a year, especially over the winter.

It cured the sunroof leaks I had.:)

Andrew Cooke
11-10-2008, 11:11
First post!

Rubber seals can get brittle over time aswell, its worth rubbing some vaseline into them once or twice a year, especially over the winter.

It cured the sunroof leaks I had.:)

not vaseline, it eats rubber. Use silicone grease.

jack joy
12-10-2008, 10:56
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

On all my 3 11s the problemb is where the front rubber drain pipes attach to the metal tray,it rusts,so that the water drains straight into the car:crap: via the roof lining.Nice!

richi
12-10-2008, 13:15
just plate it and get rid lol, or do what i did, very complicated you will need a tube off silicone and a sili gun, then fill the damn sunroof up and never open again lol:)

dave j gtt
20-11-2008, 23:45
the commnon fault is blocked drain pipes ,
the seal is meant to let a bit of water through and
its the job of 4 drain points to get rid of that water :smokin:

right where are these 4 drain holes ??? having a laugh for sure :laugh: if there where drain holes where would they drain :confused:

my sun roof leaks and its getting glued shut :D

any one ever took sunroof out and welded metal in place ????

RichR
21-11-2008, 08:38
The problem with Renault 5 GT Turbos (I assume that's what you're asking about) is that all the sunroofs were fitted by dealers not the factory. So there are several different types fitted, and not all were fitted very well.

The most common types are the Britax manual tilt only ones, which are just a glass panel that sits on rubber and felt seals. This has no drain pipes as the glass sits above the seals. With this sort, the rubber dries out and doesn't seal as well. You can often revive it with silicone rubber lubricant (Halfords sell aerosols of it) and by adjusting the hinges and catch on the sunroof panel so it sits down tighter.

The electric slide/tilt sunroof that very few have I think was meant for another model (R19 maybe?) which does have drain tubes -though they're often badly fitted. These should run down the A and C pillars to exit in the wheelarches.