PDA

View Full Version : rear brake compensator

TNT Tricky Nicky
17-04-2010, 20:32
something i've been considering is swapping the rear load compensator on the 5 for a 172 cup bias valve, i've just seen in mr cookes 172 project he has done this

what would the pros and cons of doing this be?

i have a 172 cup so have experience of both set ups, i rarely have more than one passenger in the car with me, in either car.

opinions please

Schakal
17-04-2010, 20:45
i reckon it could be a bit tricky as the cars are different weight at the rear,
different axle and suspension setup etc .

dave j gtt
17-04-2010, 21:03
When i replaced rear brake compensator and dics/pads/calipers, the brakes felt much better, It felt like having a new cars brakes, better to drive.

To set back brakes up, I set so they were working very little, Drove car to local place and with brake testin device. Then a simple adjustment needed to set back brakes at suitable limit.

The Oe set-up can be adjusted to suit how you like it. justs mean's getting out the car and under the back. To be fair the guy set mine and i slacked it off a bit as he set so i had too much braking on back and I skided back wheels.

Noticed CGB has brand new ones although there quite dear ;)

TNT Tricky Nicky
17-04-2010, 21:27
i've not looked into it component wise, just an idea.

weight wise it would be interesting to see corner weights for 5gtt and 172 cup rears

i will be stripping it down, checking it over and getting it set up, just the theory being to simplify the system as i have read of people having theirs seize without them knowing (mine probably is) so why not just eliminate it

dave j gtt
17-04-2010, 21:38
OE is simple and light weight also avery effective when working correct.

unless you want to go rallying and want adustable brakes:cool:

Andrew Cooke
18-04-2010, 10:42
no advantage, you can do exactly the same with the standard one :)